Strong hair does not only look good but is also versatile and you can style it in multiple ways to enhance your overall style quotient. Weak hair on the other hand is limp and tends to fall out soon. So how do you know if your hair is weak? It is normal to lose 100-150 strands every day. Any hair loss in excess of that means that you might have weak hair. Weak hair tends to break and this is different from normal hair fall. When you experience normal hair fall the hair breaks off with the bulb but if it breaks from weakness, hair tends to break below the scalp. Split ends are also the result of weak hair as they break off above the shaft.
While your hair might be weak genetically you could yet take some very important measures to ensure that the quality of your strands improves in the course of time. This would include a judicious mix of a hair care regime and diet among other things. This would help develop strong hair and will extend the life of your strands.
Causes Of Weak Hair
Apart from genetic factors and hormonal imbalances, there are many causes. So as the first step towards strengthening hair we should stop those hair care practices that weaken your hair. Let’s look at some of the main reasons that lead to weak hair:
- Excessive Hair Treatment And Styling: Tight hair braids and hair held unnaturally together put a lot of pressure on your strands leading to weaker hair. Dyeing and regular heat styling procedures such as straightening, blow drying and curling damage the cuticle which could lead to hair fall.
- Improper Diet: Lack of proper nutrition is one of the main reasons for weak hair. A diet always needs to have a proper balance of biotin, iron, folic acid, zinc, and all other essential minerals and vitamins. A deficiency of these ingredients will reflect on the quality of your strands.
- Prolonged Ailments: Normally when a person experiences hair fall it is replaced by new strands soon. But if the duration of sickness is prolonged it might lead to weakened hair. This is because during this time the hair goes through the resting phase for a longer period. Hair miniaturization can also happen wherein the size of the hair follicle is reduced. The quality of the hair that grows subsequently is shorter and weaker.
- Hormonal Imbalance: Hormonal imbalances with hyperthyroidism and hypothyroidism can also lead to weaker hair.
How To Strengthen Hair
Hair is constantly exposed to a harmful environment, and several reasons could lead to the deteriorating quality of hair. Environmental factors like pollution & sunlight and chemical treatment procedures could harm your hair. Your hair needs to be cared for and protected from a variety of damaging elements. Let’s see what you need to do to protect your strands and make hair stronger:
- Regular Brushing: This is a very underrated way of taking care of your hair. If you brush your hair on a daily basis, you help augment the moisture levels at the base of your follicle with better blood circulation. This is a very effective way of using the natural oils of the scalp to enhance hair health and make your hair strong. Well-moisturized hair is also flexible and therefore easily manageable.
- Shampoo Well And Within Intervals: Shampoo your hair at least 2 times a week. You might have to wash your hair a little more frequently if it is oilier. Always remember to massage your hair before you shampoo; this helps in enhanced blood circulation and leads to improved scalp health. Do it for at least 10 minutes and with coconut oil if possible. Use strengthening shampoos that are free of sulfates and have copper peptides and biotin that provide nutrition to the hair.
- Hair Conditioner: Treat a hair conditioner as mandatory. Always use it after you wash your hair. Conditioners are loaded with humectants, fatty alcohols, and oils which make your hair soft and flexible. Always apply the conditioner along the length of your hair and never the roots. Let it stay on your hair for at least a minute after applying it before washing it off.
- Increase Zinc, Iron, And Vitamin Intake: A proper diet with a good mix of zinc, vitamins, and iron is very important to ensure that your tresses reach their optimum potential. Ensure that foods like carrots, eggs, spinach, lentils, citrus fruits, nuts and seeds, dairy products, salmon, and oysters are part of your meals. A good intake of the following vitamins could go a long way in improving hair health.
Vitamin A: Eggs, carrots, spinach, milk, sweet potatoes
Vitamin C: Citrus fruits, oranges, and strawberries
Vitamin E: Avocados, almonds, sunflower seeds
- Hydration: Water is almost 25% of the content of a single strand of hair. That is how important water is for hair. You need to have at least 2 liters of water every day for better hair growth and health. For people who are prone to excessive sweating, you need to replenish your body with regular fluid intake. Dehydration stops hair growth immediately, so drink enough water to ensure robust strands. Properly hydrated roots ensure that dandruff issues disappear. Water also supports vitamins that enhance hair growth.
- Deep Conditioning Treatment: Before going in for any deep conditioning treatment ensure that your hair and scalp are totally clean. This will help you receive the complete benefit of your deep conditioning treatment. During the deep conditioning treatment, your hair is treated with nutritious products. This will help moisturize and add to its strength. The damage caused by chemically harsh hair products and hair treatments will be significantly reduced. Deep conditioning ideally needs to be done once in 2-3 weeks for best results.
- Use Castor Oil: Castor oil has excellent protein, vitamins, omega-6 fatty acids, and other beneficial content that help you in growing quality strands. Heat half a cup of castor oil, massage your scalp with it thoroughly, and then keep it covered for 30 minutes with a hot towel. Shampoo well with lukewarm water. This will help add to the strength of your hair.
Home Remedies For Stronger Hair
Apart from the conventional remedies to improve the quality of hair there are quite a few home remedies that are quite effective in creating stronger strands. Let us look at ways on how to strengthen hair:
- Amla And Shikakai: Mix 2 teaspoons of amla powder with 2 teaspoons of shikakai powder, add a little bit of water and make a uniform paste. Apply this to your scalp and hair and wash it off after 45 minutes. Amla is one of the most potent remedies for hair as it has a number of essential fatty acids that help boost immunity and improve hair strength. It is also blessed with iron and antioxidants that improve blood circulation and help hair growth.
- Coconut Oil, Lemon, And Honey: Heat 2 teaspoons of coconut oil, and add a teaspoon of honey and the juice of half a lemon to it. Mix well and add it to your hair and scalp. Coconut oil is considered to be one of the most beneficial ingredients for hair. The lauric acid and medium-chain fatty acids present in coconut oil have rich antifungal and antimicrobial properties and prevent free radicals from restricting hair growth.
Another very effective remedy is a mix of coconut oil, a ripe banana, and coconut milk. Let this blend stay on your hair for some time before you wash it off with shampoo. This is one of the most popular remedies to prevent hair fall.
- Eggs And Yogurt: Add 2 eggs to 2 teaspoons of fresh yogurt and make a paste. Apply it to your scalp and hair and wash it off with shampoo after half an hour. Hair is made up of keratin which is a protein and eggs help bolster your protein content. They are the perfect nourishment for hair and can help repair your damaged strands.
- Castor Oil And Methi: Heat a mix of methi seeds, 6 tablespoons each of castor and coconut oil until it turns brown. Massage it thoroughly into your scalp and wash it off after 45 minutes. Use this remedy at least twice a week for the best results. You can also use a mix of 2 tablespoons of mustard oil and 5 tablespoons of castor oil. Massage it into your scalp continuously for 10 minutes. Shampoo after some time.
- Aloe Vera And Tea Tree Oil: Add 2 drops of tea tree oil and 5 drops of lemon juice to 3 teaspoons of aloe vera gel. Use your fingertips to massage your scalp with this mix. Let this stay on your head for half an hour before you proceed to shampoo it off.
- Onion Juice: Onion juice is one of the most recommended treatment options to increase the quality and thickness of your strands. This is because they have rich sulfur content which is one of the primary components of keratin, a hair protein. The sulfur helps in the production of collagen for healthy skin cells. Consistent use of onion juice or oil will help stimulate hair growth and prevent hair loss by providing rich nourishment to your hair roots.
Home remedies and deep treatments are fine but all your efforts will come to nothing if you do not supplement this with a good diet. A hair care regime is never complete without following those essentials as far as your food habits are concerned. Get in touch with a dietician and plan your diet with the following: leafy vegetables (iron), avocado (vitamin E) meat and whole grains (vitamin B), nuts and seeds (omega 3 fatty acids), and eggs (biotin and protein) among other foods.
The road to healthy, shiny, and strong locks of hair is long and difficult. Not all are blessed with strands of hair that impress but all of us can work towards getting there with a little bit of effort. Hair issues or not, you have to put in the effort to ensure that your hair is in the best of its health. All of us could do with a little bit of help to achieve success on this journey and a hair test at Traya is guaranteed to set you well on the road toward healthy and strong hair.
Q1 - Why Are My Hair Roots So Weak?
Ans - A diet lacking essential proteins, minerals, and vitamins (including zinc and iron) means that your hair does not get enough nutrients to become stronger. Go slow on chemical treatments and heated styling tools as they destroy the nutrients and dry up your hair.
Q2 - How Do You Strengthen Your Roots?
Stop using heat styling tools for your hair and if you do, take appropriate steps to protect your hair before applying. Use a heat protection serum to stop the heat from affecting your hair. If you blow dry your hair, keep the blow dryer at least 6 inches away from your hair.
Q3 - What Makes Hair Follicles Stronger?
Take care of your hair regularly with proper oil massages and regular shampoos. Do remember to take those deep conditioning treatments so that your hair is nourished regularly. Keep a balanced diet to ensure that your hair receives all the nutrients for optimum growth.
Q4 - Which Oil Makes Hair Roots Stronger?
Coconut oil is widely considered the best oil for stronger roots. This is because its lower density enables it to penetrate the hair follicles and nourish the hair from the roots. It is also blessed with the goodness of minerals and vitamins that enhance hair health.