How to Identify The Types Of Dandruff You Have
1) Dry Skin Dandruff
2) Oily-Scalp Related Dandruff
3) Fungal Dandruff
4) Dandruff Caused By Product Build Up
5) Disease - Related Dandruff
Certain skin conditions such as psoriasis and eczema lead to an exaggerated production of skin cells and this causes scaly skin to develop on the scalp. When sebum and impurities combine with these skin cells, they cause dandruff.
How To Treat Different Types of Dandruff
- Dry skin dandruff: A moisturising shampoo is an absolute essential to treat dry skin dandruff. A thorough massage with warm coconut oil could remove the itchiness and act as a protection against dryness. Coconut oil also has antifungal and antibacterial properties to prevent infection.
- Oily skin dandruff: To solve your greasy scalp issues using an shampoo for oily hair dandruff with salicylic acid is recommended. Avoid using conditioner on your hair. Lemon juice is a great way to remove the grease in your hair and is also a potent remedy for all types of dandruff. Squeeze out the juice from a lemon into a glass of water and apply it all over your scalp. Wash it off after 10 minutes with lukewarm water.
- Fungus related dandruff: Use a shampoo containing zinc pyrithione to treat Malassezia like fungus problems. This is also effective against other types of dandruff and scalp conditions such as eczema and psoriasis among other things.
Turmeric is also a pretty useful ingredient for fungal issues and all types of dandruff. It also has good anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties. Grind turmeric and mix it with a little water to form a paste. Apply it to your scalp and let it dry. Wash it off in 20 minutes.
Neem is also one of the very potent remedies with its antifungal, antimicrobial and ani-inflammatory properties. Grind the neem leaves to make a paste and leave it on your hair for 20 minutes before washing it off with a mild shampoo. This is a very useful remedy for the treatment of different types of dandruff.
Protein rich fenugreek seeds are great for hair fall and dandruff and they help moisturise the scalp and this is also what makes it the perfect remedy for different types of dandruff. Make a paste of fenugreek seeds soaked overnight and apply it to your hair and scalp. Wash off after 20 minutes.
- Seborrheic dermatitis treatment: There is a possibility wherein your seborrheic dermatitis will clear up by itself but on occasions a detailed treatment plan will be necessary to treat your problem. Over-the-counter medicines and home treatment will be part of the plan. Your OTC anti-dandruff shampoo might have one of the following ingredients - Coal tar, Ketoconazole, Salicylic acid, Selenium sulphide or zinc pyrithione. You might also be suggested corticosteroid lotions or sulphur products to deal with your seborrheic dermatitis or different types of dandruff issues.
Tips To Prevent Dandruff
2) Omega 3 Fatty Acids
6) Fibre Oriented Diet
7) Limit The Sugar Intake
- Shampoo: it is extremely important to shampoo well as this could help you avoid dandruff issues. A major reason for dandruff is the accumulation of dead cells and oil in the scalp due to improper washing. Conditioners should be applied at least an inch away from the scalp. It is very important to make sure that the residue is not left behind. You can try Traya Anti- dandruff shampoo which removes dandruff, reduces irritation and soothes scalp.
- Exfoliate Your Scalp: This is the process of removing the top layer of dry skin which helps in breaking down the dead skin cells that gather on your scalp and cause flaking. This can be done with the help of scalp exfoliators which contain salicylic acid. Exfoliation is very useful for all types of dandruff on scalp.
- Hot Oil Masks: Oil-based treatments are effective in balancing the scalp’s excess oil production. Applying oils will help extract the oils from the scalp and get rid of them. Warm coconut oil (avoid making it too hot) is a good option.
- Wash Your Scalp Only: Use dandruff shampoos only on your scalp as they could dry out your hair. Massage it for at least 5 minutes into the scalp before washing it off.
- Massage In Case Of An Itch, Do Not Scratch: If you have a severe itch on your scalp, do not scratch, as you could open up a wound and cause an infection. Try and gently massage your scalp instead.
What Shampoo Does Traya Recommend For Treating Dandruff?
Ans - There are five types of dandruff; Dry skin dandruff which happens due to infrequent shampooing or washing hair with hot water too much. Oily-scalp related dandruff happens because the scalp is producing excess sebum that leads to oily-scalp which means dandruff. Fungal dandruff can be caused by fungal Malassezia or imbalance in pH. Use of too many products such as dyes, live-in conditioner etc can cause Product build-up dandruff. When skin disease such as psoriasis and eczema mix up with impurities and sebum, it leads to Disease related Dandruff.
Q2 - How Do I Know What Kind Of Dandruff I Have?
Ans - Dandruff can be caused by different type of scalp condition, paying close attention to the symptoms can help you acknowledge the type of dandruff. Generally, changes in hair-care routine and purchasing the right products can help with dandruff but if symptoms includes extreme itchiness and rashness, then visit Dermats for prescribed medication. We would suggest you visit our blog and know about the symptoms of types of dandruff.
Ans - Dry dandruff causes dry scalp which means the scalp doesn't produce enough sebum and that leads to scalp irritation and shedding of skin cells. Fungal dandruff can happen because of a fungus called Malassezia which every human has but for few it can trigger inflammatory response that produces dandruff.
Ans - Both, dry scalp and dandruff symptoms are similar but there are few differences that can help you to differentiate between the two. The flakes because of dry scalp are very small and white whereas the flakes of dandruff are large, oily and yellow. However, both conditions cause itchy scalp.
Home Remedies For Dandruff | Botox Hair Treatment | How To Stop Hair Fall Immediately At Home | Wet Hair | Hair Conditioner Benefits | How To Maintain Curly Hair | Deep Conditioning For Hair | Hair Care Tips For Men | Home Remedies For Dry And Frizzy Hair | Exercise For Hair Growth | How To Maintain Long Hair Men | Natural Hair Dye | Premature Baldness | Hair Serum Benefits | Alopecia Totalis | Shirodhara | Low Porosity Hair | Hot Oil For Hair | How To Regrow Thinning Hair | Alopecia Areata |