Also known as Asparagus racemosus, Satamuli, Satavar, or Shatavari is an adaptogen herb just like ashwagandha and may help to regulate the body’s systems and relieve symptoms of stress. It has a range of benefits, especially for the female reproductive system, and promotes fertility. The usage of Shatavari for women's health has been traditionally quite strong and recommended.
The Shatavari plant is a perennial climber. Infant stems are delicate and brittle and the Shatavari herb is bitter and sweet to taste. The roots of the Shatavari plant are tuberous and are radish-shaped. It grows in clusters and is tapered at the end. Older plants have thicker and longer roots. The Shatavari flowers are fragrant and are white, with small spikes. The leaves are thin and resemble pine-like needles. The fruits are purple-black and are in the form of small berries.
In Sanskrit, Shatavari translates to “100 spouses”. This is due to the huge benefits of the plant on the female reproductive system through all stages of women’s lives. The Shatavari roots can help in promoting the production of milk in lactating females and promote overall immunity. We will further look at the benefits of Shatavari powder for females.
In this article, we look at various benefits of Shatavari for women, ways to use the herb, and possible side effects.
Shatavari Benefits for Women
Due to its adaptogen and antioxidative properties, it has been used to treat a variety of ailments in Ayurveda for centuries. Listed below are some main benefits of Shatavari for women health:
- It has antioxidant properties
Free radicals cause cell damage which antioxidants prevent. They fight against oxidative stress which results in developing conditions like cancer.
- It has anti-inflammatory properties
Racemofuran is an active compound found in Shatavari, which lends it its anti-inflammatory nature.
- It may help boost your immune system
The benefits of Shatavari for women's health also include its reputation as an immunity booster.
- It may help relieve cough
Shatavari plant root juice naturally relieves cough.
- The use of Shatavari for women health may help maintain blood sugar
Shatavari plants may help maintain blood sugar levels. Poor management of diabetes and blood pressure causes diabetic nephropathy, a kind of kidney damage. Shatavari is helpful in this condition as well.
- Anti-aging Shatavari uses for female
Damage caused by free radicals to the skin results in wrinkles. Shatavari root extract helps in these cases. It also helps prevent collagen breakdown that helps maintain your skin’s elasticity.
- Consumption of Shatavari for women health may help treat depression
In Ayurveda, Shatavari is used in treating depression. It is a potent mood enhancer and is useful in treating problems related to anxiety.
- Shatavari For Female Reproductive System
Usage of Shatavari for women health has many benefits for the female reproductive system
- It helps in treating numerous hormonal problems.
- Helps improve fertility.
- May relieve polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS).
- May be useful in boosting milk production during breastfeeding.
- Helps relieve the symptoms of menopause.
- The use of Shatavari for women enhances Libido
Shatavari is a natural aphrodisiac and promotes the hormones that increase libido in both men and women. It also reduces mental stress.
- Promotes Cardiac Functioning
Shatavari herb is a natural antioxidant and is cardio-protective. It shows promising use in treating many heart-related conditions. It is recommended that you avail this benefit of Shatavari for women health by including it in your wellness routine
How Should Women Consume Shatavari?
The use of Shatavari for women health benefits can be done in various forms
- Shatavari Churna – The most favoured form of intake, Shatavari churna can be taken with milk and honey after lunch and dinner. You can consume half a teaspoon twice a day. Three to six grams of churna can be taken in a day at your convenience. Balls made from Shatavari churna can be consumed with warm water or milk.
- Shatavari tablets and capsules – You can take one to two tablets or capsules with warm water. These have to be consumed after lunch and dinner. The dosage of Shatavari tablets and capsules is up to 500 milligrams per day, and can be taken twice a day.
- Shatavari juice or syrup – recommended being taken with warm water on an empty stomach.
- Dosage of Shatavari extracts in 30 drops (from one to two tablespoons) in water or juice, up to three times a day.
The benefits of Shatavari churna for females can be best utilized by taking an effective dose. Effective dosage varies from one individual to another and depends on your age, body type, underlying conditions, and existing medications. It is recommended that you consult with an Ayurvedic practitioner to conclude the best dosage and form of Shatavari consumption and reap Shatavari powder benefits for female.
In Ayurveda, Shatavari is known as Rasayana or a rejuvenating herb. Healthy women safely consume it. If your bowel movements are regulated (ideally in the morning) and you are not experiencing digestive, respiratory, or other health conditions, Shatavari for women wellness can be made a routine habit.
Here, we look at preparations of Shatavari for women’s health. Shatavari milk is a very good method to avail Shatavari churna benefits for female.
- Shatavari for women (young and pregnant women)
This recipe is helpful for young women after reaching puberty. This can be prepared by mixing half a teaspoon of Shatavari churna with a cup of cow milk. You can also flavour with a quarter teaspoon of cardamom, a quarter teaspoon of turmeric. Add sugar (or sugar substitutes such as coconut sugar) for taste. Boil all the ingredients with the milk. Once this cools down, you can consume it for breakfast or right before going to sleep. Ideally, you should consume it three hours from the last meal of the day.
The recipe for pregnant women is the same. They can add up to four teaspoons of Shatavari to the milk.
- Shatavari for women (Older Women)
Older women can take the above preparation of Shatavari milk with one tablespoon of Shatavari powder. You can alternatively take half a teaspoon of Shatavari churna with warm water as a supplement.
Female Reproductive Health
Treatment of reproductive disorders has traditionally been the most common application of Shatavari for women. Women of all ages can benefit from these properties. Here we enlist some of these benefits of Shatavari for female:
- Estrogenic properties
- The estrogenic compounds present in Shatavari balance estrogen levels (which is responsible for the development and regulation of the female reproductive system).
- Estrogenic regulatory properties of Shatavari helps to regulate menstruation cycles, alleviate menstrual cramps often suffered before a period.
- It may be helpful in fluid retention and uncomfortable bloating during menstruation.
- Anti-inflammatory properties – During menstrual flow, the Shatavari plant may help reduce pain and inflammation.
- The Shatavari plant may improve the hormonal imbalance in conditions such as polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS).
- Reducing symptoms of menopause - Shatavari may reduce symptoms of menopause. This is a traditional use of the herb. Menopause is associated with a decrease in estrogen levels and causes symptoms like lack of sleep, depression, irritability, vaginal dryness, and urinary problems. Shatavari is rich in phytoestrogens like saponins and flavonoids and helps in balancing the hormonal level in the female body
- One of the most important Shatavari powder benefits for a female is the ability to improve female fertility.
- Shatavari churna helps to manage diseases that happen due to the imbalance of Vata dosha and Pitta dosha.
- Shatavari has Balya (strength providing), Vedna sthapana (pain-relieving), and Medhya (brain tonic) properties It helps to improve weight, relieve pain and improve brain function.
- It has Hrdya (cardiac tonic) properties due to which it helps manage cardiovascular health.
- It has Stanyajanana (increasing breast milk production) properties that help promote better female health and are beneficial for female reproductive health in general.
Shatavari Effect on Breast-Feeding and Pregnancy
The benefits of Shatavari for women are quite pronounced during the lactating age and pregnancy. Shatavari has Galactagogue properties - when taken in prescribed doses, it promotes lactation in women.
Young women usually find it difficult to provide enough nourishment to their newborns by breastfeeding. This could be happening due to a variety of reasons such as anaemia, increased stress, or low blood pressure. Daily consumption of Shatavari helps facilitate and regulate milk production. Shatavari is a natural herb and does not have any impact on the child.
Shatavari Kalpa is an effective preparation to avail Shatavari churna benefits for females, especially during lactating ages and pregnancy. It is an Ayurvedic potion that enhances the production of breast milk and also helps in reducing pain, fatigue, and general weakness in mothers. It also provides overall nourishment to new mothers and can balance the Pitta dosha and Vata dosha. This formulation can be taken by women of all ages to improve their immunity and strength during menstruation, during the post-natal period, and during pregnancy.
- Ingredients – equal parts of Shatavari and sugar, Cardamom (elaichi) to taste
- Preparation – Wash the cardamom and Shatavari under running water and dry them under the sun to remove all moisture. Next, grind these into a powder and pass them through a sieve. Now melt sugar in a large bottom vessel and add the powdered herbs into it. Mix all the ingredients thoroughly. Roll this mixture into small granules after cooling it. You can store these granules in a dry place in a jar.
- You can take one to two spoonfuls of the Shatavari Kalpa with warm milk, twice a day in the morning and evening or as recommended by your Ayurvedic practitioner.
Possible Side Effects of Shatavari For Female
There are many benefits of Shatavari for females. However, the dosage of the herb must be in a proper amount. Many of these benefits are also being currently tested and more research is needed to study the impact and side effects of the herb. Common side effects of Shatavari are allergies. It is recommended that you consult your doctor so that existing medications and your body’s Prakriti can be studied and proper dosage can be appropriated for your consumption. That being said, Shatavari is extremely safe for long-term use. It is also safe for use during pregnancy and lactation as per Ayurveda.
Some side effects of Shatavari are listed below. You are recommended to go through these carefully and avail the maximum Shatavari powder benefits for female health and wellbeing.
- Being allergic to Shatavari is possible. Shortly after consuming you might be faced with the below allergic experiences
- Breathing difficulties
- Itchy skin and eyes
- Rashes or hives
- Increased heart rate
- If you feel any of the above allergic symptoms, you must stop the consumption and seek medical attention.
- Shatavari can also worsen asthma conditions due to allergic breathing difficulties.
- Shatavari may cause dehydration.
You must also be careful of existing medication before availing the benefits of Shatavari for women health:
- Shatavari can lower your blood sugar. Thus, you should not accompany it with medication that lowers blood sugar.
- Shatavari can have a diuretic effect. If you are taking diuretic herbs or drugs then you should not consume Shatavari.
Consulting with your doctor is recommended before reaping the benefits of Shatavari for women. Proper dosage and benefit can be achieved after reviewing existing medication and conditions. Consultation with your doctor will help you make an informed decision and make maximum benefits of Shatavari for women's health.
Shatavari has been an active ingredient in Ayurveda for centuries and due to its numerous health benefits, it is also known as “Queen of the herbs’ deservedly. It Is safe to be consumed in small amounts and is a recommended herbal and natural alternative to common chemical drugs in relieving a variety of problems.