Shatavari For Men: Right Dosage and Possible Side Effects
The magical herb has packed in itself, immense benefits for male health and wellness. Read on to know more.
Shatavari, scientifically called as Asparagus racemosus, is a plant based herb that belongs to the Asparagus family. Coined as the “Queen of herbs'', Shatavari is native to Asian countries and is abundantly found in India, Nepal and Sri Lanka. In India, Shatavari is mainly found in the eastern and southern regions, highly concentrated in tropical and subtropical forest regions. Being a powerful adaptogenic herb that is full of antioxidants ,Shatavari not only helps the body in dealing with stress but also manages a range of health conditions l. It promotes sexual wellness and aids disorders for both men and women. Here we look at Shatavari uses for male health. Keep reading to know more about Shatavari benefits for men, how you can use the herb, and what things you need to be careful before going for the consumption of Shatavari.
Common Names of Shatavari
Shatavari is known by many names.Some of the most commonly used are as below -
- Globally used names -
Asparagus-fern, Indian Asparagus, Sataver White, Sparrow Grass, Satawari,Water Root, Wild Asparagus, Wild Carrot, Kurilo, Shaqaqul, Tian Men Dong
- Names used in Indian States -
In the Indian subcontinent, this herb is known as Satawari, Shatavri, Shatavir, Sahansarmuli, Sahanspal, Satmuli, Satavar, and Sootmooli, Kilavari, Shadavaree, Sadha Valli, Sathaavari, Thanni Vuttaan Kodi, Kadamoolam, Tuviputturu, Tannir-vittan,Challa Gaddalu, Phillitaga, Challagadda, Pilligaddalu, Ettavaludutige, Pilligaddal, Pilliteegalu, Shatavri,Abiruvu Shatamul, Chatavali, Challagadda, Hiranyasringi, Nunggarei, Satomoul, Vari, Pali, Chhotta Kelu, Majjige Gadde
- Ayurvedic Synonyms -
Ayurveda refers to Shatavari as Shatapadi, Satavirya, Indavari, Narayani, Bahusuta, Rushyaprokta, Atirasa, Peevari, Vari, Dveepika, Sukshmapatra, Madabhanjani, Dveepishatru, and Urdhvakantaka.
What are the Chemical Components of Shatavari?
To understand the mechanism of Shatavari benefits for men, you should understand the chemical composition of the herb.
- Phytochemicals - Shatavari is blessed with an abundance of phytochemicals. These phytochemicals strengthen the immune system and also shield the body against innumerable infections, promoting overall wellbeing and unlocking Shatavari benefits for men.
- There are many other beneficial chemical compounds in Shatavari that lend their characteristic properties and are responsible for Shatavari benefits for men. Here we look at some of these compounds that help relieve various conditions among men:
- Active components of the Shatavari plant have anti-carcinogenic properties and help in treating cancer conditions.
- Alkaloids such as saponins, sarsasapogenin are beneficial components.
- Flavonoids like rutin and quercetin help in shedding excess weight faster by fighting free radicals.
- Apart from the bioactive components Shatavari is an excellent source of healthful nutrients and minerals such as manganese, copper, zinc, potassium, cobalt, selenium, magnesium, and calcium. These nutrients help promote a healthy life and are the reason behind the many beneficial uses of the Shatavari plant.
- It is also rich in vitamins (Vitamin A and ascorbic acid) and shows presence of essential fatty acids. These are very helpful in treating cardiovascular ailments and promoting a healthy heart, proving useful in treating heart diseases, diabetes, arthritis, and depression.
What are the Ayurvedic Properties of Shatavari?
The Ayurvedic scriptures have time and again mentioned the extensive benefits of this herb. Shatavari is mainly used to treat the Pitta Dosha and Vata Dosha. This plant constitutes the following Ayurvedic properties :
- Rasa ( Taste) - Bitter and Sweet. Due to its taste it has a cooling impact on the body.
- Physical Property - Oily and Heavy. Shatavari increases the Kapha owing to its heavy
All these qualities make it a ‘Rasayana’ – meaning rejuvenating for the blood, making the functioning of the digestive system better, and benefitting the reproductive system.
Shatavari Benefits for Men
Shatavari is a powerful ayurvedic herb that has extensive health and wellness benefits for men. It can treat a variety of disorders and help in promoting better physical, mental and sexual health. Here we look at some major Shatavari powder benefits for males.1. It has antioxidant properties
. Antioxidants prevent free radical cell damage. They fight against oxidative stress and prevent the development of diseases such as cancer. As we will see ahead, these antioxidant properties in Shatavari prove very beneficial and promote better health in men.2. It has anti-inflammatory properties
Racemofuran, an active compound found in Shatavari, is responsible for its anti-inflammatory nature. The anti-inflammatory properties enhance the hair health and prevent hair loss. This property also helps reduce inflammation in the lungs, dilating air passages and improves breathing.3. Shatavari benefits for male reproductive system
Shatavari is a good health tonic for malereproductive system as it boosts sexual health. Below are some notable benefits of the herb
- It promotes the production of hormones such as testosterone,
- It is used to treat teratozoospermia (abnormal sperm shape),
- It can improve sperm count,
- It can better the volume of semen,
- It enhances sperm production,
- It is also very helpful in treating erectile dysfunction,
- It can prove helpful in treating premature ejaculation.
Shatavari is a natural aphrodisiac. It stimulates the hormones that increase libido and increases men’s sexual drive. This effect is found in both men and women. It also reduces mental stress and increases stamina.
5. Shatavari benefits through boosting your immune system
Shatavari is an ayurvedic immunity booster. It has an excess of phytochemicals. These compounds strengthen the immune system promoting overall wellbeing.6. Shatavari benefits for men - helping maintain blood sugar
Shatavari plant shows a promising impact in helping maintain blood sugar levels. It also shows a positive impact in treating diabetic nephropathy. This is a form of kidney damage that results due to poor management of blood pressure and diabetic conditions. Compounds in the herb stimulate insulin production although more research is needed to understand this phenomenon and how it happens.7. Shatavari benefits for men through anti-aging properties
Extract from Shatavari roots helps reduce free-radical skin damage and thus prevents wrinkles. Shatavari prevents the breakdown of collagen, which maintains the elasticity of your skin. Due to its antioxidant property, it can reduce these signs of aging and help you keep away the symptoms of aging in today's stressful work life and lifestyles.8. Shatavari benefits for men in helping relieve cough
The juice from the roots of the Shatavari plant is useful as a natural cough remedy. However, to determine the mechanism of how Shatavari relieves cough, more research is needed.9. It may act as a diuretic
Shatavari has been found to influence diuretic activity.10. Shatavari may help treat ulcers
Shatavari may help treat gastric ulcers and prevent them from turning into serious complications causing bleeding and perforation.11. Relieves Respiratory Troubles
Shatavari has anti-asthmatic properties. It is considered a remedy for a variety of respiratory issues.
Benefits of Shatavari for Anxiety
Shatavari supplements have been traditionally used to relieve stress-related conditions.In today’s hectic and stressed lifestyles Shatavari benefits for men are more contextual than ever.
In Ayurveda, Vata Dosha governs all the movements of the body and nervous system. Anxiety is mainly caused due to the imbalance of Vata. Shatavari helps to balance Vata and Pitta Dosha in the body due to which the serotonin level is kept under control. This action helps reduce symptoms of anxiety. The adaptogen effects of Shatavari calms the mind, reduces irritability, and increases energy.
Ayurveda offers a beautiful perspective for stress management through the Nasya therapy or the nasal route medication.It involves applying three to five drops of Shatavari nasal drops into each nostril. This natural medication manages stress, aids better sleep and works on hair loss.
Benefits of Shatavari for Depression
One of the many benefits of Shatavari for men is that it naturally treats depression. Shatavari is a mood enhancer, and beneficial in dealing with problems like anxiety and even dementia. Due to this benefit, It has been traditionally used in Ayurveda, to treat stress-related conditions like depression. Shatavari has adaptogen qualities that enable you to deal with emotional and physical stress.
The conventional chemical compounds used as anti-depressants drugs have harmful side effects and Shatavari is a beneficial natural alternative. However, more scientific interrogation is required to understand the cause and mechanism of these effects.
How Should Men Consume Shatavari?
Men can consume Shatavari in various forms such as churna, tablets, and capsules, or as juice. We shall also look at its Ayurvedic preparation.
- However in order to reap maximum benefits, it is important to know which supplement is the best for your needs. Here are some ways in which men can consume Shatavari :Shatavari Churna – The most favoured form of intake, Shatavari churna can be taken with milk and honey or warm water after lunch and dinner. You can take half a teaspoon twice daily. You can take the Shatavari churna ranging from three to six grams per day as per your convenience.
- Shatavari tablets and capsules – Can be taken with warm water after lunch and dinner. Dosage 1-2 capsules or tablets.
- Shatavari balls – Made from Shatavari churna, you can take these with warm milk or water.
- Shatavari juice or syrup – recommended being taken with warm water on an empty stomach.
- Shatavari Gulam – This is an ayurvedic preparation similar to a jam. It is prepared along with jaggery. Shatavari Gulam can be used to treat liver complications.
Dosage of Shatavari for men
It is important to note that proper dosage is necessary to claim Shatavari churna benefits for male. An effective Shatavari dosage may vary depending on age, body type, and strength. It also depends on the existing medical condition of the patient. You are recommended to consult your doctor so that your medical condition can be evaluated and effective dosage and form can be recommended.
- Churna or powder – quarter to a half tablespoon to be consumed twice a day. The churna can be taken with milk, juice, or warm water.
- Arishta (also called an Aqueous tincture) – one to two tablespoons, twice daily.
- Vati or Tablet or capsule – twice a day, one to two vatis.
- Juice or Kashayam – two to three tablespoons once a day.
The dosage of tablets and capsules must not exceed 500 milligrams a day.
How to Prepare Shatavari Guggulu
Shatavari Guggulu is a popular Ayurvedic preparation, let us see how we can prepare it and how to use it.
- Ingredients: One part of Shatavari (Asparagus racemosus), Giloy (Tinospora cordifolia), Ashwagandha or Indian Ginseng (Withania somnifera), Padmaka or Padmakh (Prunus cerasoides), Pippali or Long Pepper (Piper longum), Saunf or Fennel Seeds (Foeniculum vulgare), Ajwain or Carom Seeds (Trachyspermum ammi), Sonth or dried ginger (Zingiber officinale), Gandha Prasarini (Paederia foetida), Gokshura (Tribulus terrestris), Rasna Pluchea lanceolata, Kachur or Zedoary – (Curcuma zedoaria), Cow’s Ghee (as per requirement) and twelve Parts of Shuddha Guggulu (Commiphora wightii)
- Preparation: Powder all the herbal ingredients individually and to remove moisture keep them under direct sunlight. Sieve the powders to remove larger solid particles and other impurities. Now, add a little ghee in the mortar and add the Guggulu in it. Convert this into a fine powder using the pestle. Add the powdered herbs one by one and mix till you achieve consistency in the paste. You can roll out laddoos or small balls out of this paste and store them in a jar in a dry place.
- You can take one to two laddoos a day. You can take this with water or warm milk. Remember to take one to two hours after a meal or preferable on an empty stomach.
How Effective Is Shatavari For Male?
Today’s stressful lives are a product of highly demanding professional commitments. Lifestyles add to the stress that the body goes through. Such a lifestyle attracts an array of conditions that steal away the peace of your mind and the health of your body. Our lifestyles today are not just triggering stress, anxiety, depression but are also encouraging ailments like cardiovascular disorders, sexual issues, and other related ailments. In this context, Shatavari benefits for men need our attention and adoption.
Most prescribed medication that you take for relieving these conditions are drugs that are loaded with string chemical compounds. These compounds have pronounced long-term side effects on our health and it is always better to go for a healthier and more organic alternative. Shatavari is a natural herb with very limited side effects that are much less pronounced than the side effects brought by chemical medication. It can be used to relieve a variety of such lifestyle disorders and promote a healthy and more balanced physical and mental state for you.
Shatavari is used in Ayurveda for centuries for its well-known properties. Shatavari benefits for men are aplenty some of which can be listed below -
- It promotes inner wellbeing both mental and physical.
- It improves sexual wellness among men.
- It aids in relieving male sexual problems and also addresses problems including impotence and erectile dysfunction.
- It helps in increasing a healthy sperm count and also reduces inflammation of the male genital organs.
Possible Side Effects of Shatavari For Male
Shatavari has been proven extremely helpful in treating many conditions. However, we have to be careful and consume only the prescribed amount. Some of the Shatavari benefits for men are also being tested currently. Side effects include common allergic symptoms. If they appear, you must not take Shatavari.
Some possible side effects of using Shatavari are listed below. It is recommended that you go through these carefully and also read further to see how you should go ahead with its usage and reap the Shatavari benefits for men.
- Shatavari can lower blood sugar, hence one needs to be careful if taking medications
- It can cause common allergic conditions such as:
- Itchy skin
- Breathing difficulties
- Rapid heart rate
- It can worsen asthma conditions
- It can cause dehydration
You must also be careful of existing medication for blood sugar and diuretic stimulation before going for Shatavari. It is recommended that you discuss once with the doctor before reaping Shatavari benefits for men. Proper dosage and benefit can be achieved after reviewing existing medication and conditions
Shatavari has been used in Ayurveda for centuries. Research on Shatavari benefits for men is still in a nascent stage and more needs to be studied on the impacts and the effects of Shatavari.
However, in Ayurveda, the herb has been extensively explored and is used for the treatment of a variety of ailments and is deservedly known as the “Queen of the herbs”. It is safe to be consumed in small amounts and is a recommended alternative to chemical compound-driven medications. You must consult with your doctor and include Shatavari in your daily routine and gain from its many benefits.
Popular ArticlesYoga for Hair Growth | Sesame Oil For Hair | Neem Oil For Hair | Lice In Hair | Brahmi For Hair | Asparagus Racemosus | Brahmi Leaf | Yashtimadhu Uses | Brahmi Oil | Eclipta Alba | Black Pepper Benefits | Black Pepper For Hair | Cardamom Benefits | Black Pepper | Black Cardamom | Keratin Treatment | Keratin | Green Cardamom | Grape Seed Extract | Virgin Coconut Oil |
Buy Multivitamin Tablet | Buy Hair Fall Tablets | Buy Herbal Tablets | Buy Minoxidil 5% | Buy Herbal Hair Oil | Buy Hair Fall Shampoo | Buy Anti Dandruff Shampoo | Buy Hair Root Serum | Buy Digestion Tablets | Buy Shatavari Ghrita | Buy Minoxidil 2% |