What can be more frustrating than having dry and frizzy hair that looks more like a bird's nest than flawless shiny hair? And the condition worsens when you have curly hair. Frizziness is mainly caused by dry hair. This dry hair develops when your hair can not retain moisture and over time it becomes frizzy and dull. In this article we have described some home remedies for dry and frizzy hair which will help you take good care of your hair.
Dry and frizzy hair is a result of our poor hair care regime, a little extra attention can go a long way to give us that shiny beautiful hair. You don’t have to spend a lot on treating your hair, all you need to do is follow some home remedies for dry and frizzy hair.
Causes of Dry Hair & Frizzy Hair
There might be several reasons that cause dry and fizzy hair, but more often than not, it is due to a lack of moisture in your hair.
Ironically, due to high amount of humidity in the air, your hair tends to be frizzier. Your hair is basically made of three layers, the cuticle, cortex, and medulla. Dry hair tries to absorb moisture from the air, causing each hair’s cuticle or the outermost layer to rise and become uneven, instead of lying flat. The cuticle is made of flat, overlapping cells that resemble tiles on a roof, which separate and rise in moist air. This makes hair look frizzy. And it worsens when you have curly hair. But, worry not, we have got you covered with a list of home remedies for dry and frizzy hair.
Also, there might be other reason behind this condition, like
- Sun exposure: Excessive sun exposure and UV rays in sunlight can lead to dry hair and frizzy hair.
- Excessive shampooing: Washing your hair too often with shampoo, can peel off the natural oil from your hair. Also, the chemical-based shampoo you use may lead to dry frizzy hair, and eventually to hair fall.
- Chlorinated water: Swimming pool waters are often chlorinated and if you are not using a good quality swim cap, this can be a major reason for dry hair.
- Using a hair dryer or straightener: Regularly heating your hair with a hair dryer or straightener can lead to dry hair and contribute to frizz.
- Health conditions: Various health disorders like Depression, Thyroid, prolonged medication, and a variety of other medical conditions like ‘Alopecia Areata’ (an autoimmune disease that attacks hair follicles) can also lead to dryness.
Top 10 Home Remedies for Dry and Frizzy Hair
- Coconut oil and Vitamin E mask:
How to use coconut oil for dry hair:
- Mix 1 tablespoon of Vitamin E oil (or capsule) with 4 tablespoons of organic coconut oil and store it in an air-tight container.
- Take 2-3 tablespoon of the mixed oil and apply it to the full length of your hair and scalp
- Let it absorb for 40 mins
- Wash it off with a mild shampoo
Apply this oil mixture once or twice a week.
Benefits of using coconut oil for hair:
This can be one of the best home remedies for dry and frizzy hair, as Vitamin E helps to get thick and healthy hair by preventing dandruff & premature greying. It is also a home remedy for split ends, coconut oil has the properties to deep condition your hair.
- Beer as a hair conditioner:
How to use beer for dry hair treatment:
- Take a pint of beer and pour it into a bowl to decarbonate.
- Clean your hair by using a good-quality shampoo.
- Pour beer on your hair and gently massage it
- Rinse off with cold water to get rid of the smell.
Repeat this once or twice a week.
Benefits of beer for dry hair:
Beer is considered to be one of the best home remedies for dry and frizzy Hair if you experience frizzy hair after a shower. Because it contains properties that repair the hair cuticles, making the hair soft, smooth, and shiny.
- Using hot oil massage:
Hot Olive oil massage is a home remedy that is most widely used for dry frizzy hair treatment. Alternatively, you can also use -
- Almond oil
- Castor oil
- Jojoba oil
- Corn oil
- Coconut oil
All of these can be used as home remedies for dry and frizzy hair, as these oils, especially almond oil for hair have rich in antioxidant property and vitamin E, which can help repair the outer layer of your hair and preserve the required amount of moisture.
How to use oil for dry hair:
- Take half a cup of any of the oils mentioned above and just lukewarm it. Do not boil.
- Pour it into a bowl, dip your fingertips in the oil and massage the oil gently on your scalp
- Wrap your hair for around 30 mins to an hour with a hot towel. Rinse it off.
Repeat this once a week for about 8 weeks.
Benefits of using oil for dry hair:
This home remedy will help strengthen the roots of your hair and add shine to frizzy damaged hair.
- Egg and mayonnaise-based hair mask –
How to use egg for dry hair:
Take one cup of mayonnaise (with no added flavor or spice) and an egg.
Put it together in a bowl, whisk it until it becomes a cream-like puree.
And apply the mixture from the root to the end of your hair.
Wait for 40-45 mins and cover your hair with a plastic hair cap.
Rinse it off using shampoo.
You may use this hair mask up to two times a week.
Benefits of using Egg for dry hair:
There may be times when you start thinking about why my hair is dry and frizzy. This mask provides sheen, nourishment, and strength. It helps controlling frizzy hair effectively by adding an extra layer of moisture. In fact, this is one of the best home remedies for frizzy hair after shower.
- Egg, Coconut, and Almond oil for dry hair–
How to use them for dry frizzy hair:
- Take a whole egg, 1 tablespoon full of coconut oil, and a tablespoon of almond oil.
- Mix it well, apply it thoroughly to your hair.
- Leave it for 30 mins
- Wash it off using a mild shampoo.
You can alter this treatment by combining an egg with olive oil or castor oil. Follow the same way once or twice a week for extremely dry frizzy hair.
Benefits of using this for frizzy hair:
This one is one of the best home remedies for dry and frizzy hair, and time-tested techniques to get rid of dandruff infections. Also, when you worry about how to regrow thinning hair this treatment helps a lot. It is also considered to be one of the best home remedies for frizzy hair and split ends. The anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties of Coconut oil help your hair to grow and prevent hair loss. Almond Oil is also rich in vitamins E, which helps to bring shine, and treats dry hair and also caters to frizzy hair. It will rejuvenate the nourishment and leave your scalp infection-free.
- Banana mask –
How to use banana mask for frizzy hair:
- Take a banana, mash it into a bowl.
- Apply thoroughly, spread it all over your hair, from roots to ends.
- Leave the mask for an hour and wash with lukewarm water.
You may apply it once every two weeks, or twice a month.
Benefits of using this for dry frizzy hair:
As we all know Bananas are high in potassium and it is suitable for treating dry hair because of its high moisture content, bananas may soften the hair, improves elasticity and one of the awesome home remedies for frizzy hair and split ends.
- Aloe Vera –
How to use aloe vera for hair:
- Extract 3 to 4 tablespoon of aloe vera gel (raw or store-bought)
- Cover yourself with a towel or old cloth.
- Apply the gel using your fingers. Dividing long hair into sections so the application becomes easier.
- Leave the mask on for 30 minutes. You can use a shower cap to prevent it from dripping.
- Rinse the gel off of your hair completely, since aloe vera gel can leave a filmy residue on your hair.
This is a 100% natural home remedy for dry and frizzy hair, which suits all hair types and skin. For the best result, you may try this once a week.
There are many natural humectants that can be applied to seal in the moisture in your hair. Aloe vera is the best product for dry frizzy hair. You can use aloe vera gel instead of your regular conditioner to help boost your hair health.
- Apple Cider Vinegar –
How to use apple cider vinegar for dry hair:
- You need to mix four tablespoons of apple cider vinegar with two cups of water.
- After shampooing, Use this water and apple cider vinegar mixture to rinse your hair
- Pour the mixture over your hair evenly, leave it for about 30 seconds.
- Rinse again with cold water.
You should try these home remedies for dry and frizzy hair once or twice (max) a month.
Benefits of Apple cider vinegar for dry frizzy hair:
If your hair gets too alkaline, exposed cuticles give your hair a frizzy appearance. Apple cider vinegar is slightly acidic. For this reason, subjective evidence indicates that, when used topically, it may be beneficial for taming frizzy hair,
- Honey and yogurt mix –
How to use honey and yogurt for dry hair:
- Take 2-3 spoons full of yogurt and 1 spoon full of honey. Mix it well.
- Apply on your hair evenly using your finger or you can use a hair dying brush.
- Wait for 30 mins to absorb the moisture and rinse it off using a mild shampoo.
You may apply these home remedies for dry and frizzy hair once a week.
Benefits of using honey for dry and frizzy hair:
Yogurt is full of protein, Honey is a humectant, it retains moisture in your hair. Combining these offers nourishment to grow strong and healthy hair and manage dry and frizzy hair.
- Lemon and Honey -
How to use lemon and honey for dry hair :
- Mix 2 tablespoons of lemon juice, 2 tablespoons honey, and 1 cup of water pour it through on your freshly washed hair.
- Massage your scalp for a couple of minutes and then rinse it with lukewarm water and shampoo.
- Towel dry your hair.
Use this treatment once every two weeks. Ensure that you are using other conditioning hair masks during the rest of the week.
Benefits of using lemon and honey for dry frizzy hair:
This is another great home remedy for dry and frizzy hair, it helps to improve cuticle health and reduces frizz by removing dirt and grime from the hair shaft. And the rich vitamin C content also helps boost new hair growth.
Hair Care Habits to Reduce Dry Frizzy Hair
Changes in food habits: Eat healthy to promote an overall healthy lifestyle. You should add a good amount of plant-based protein and vitamin C & E to your diet. Only applying home remedies for dry and frizzy hair may not give you the best result. You should consider adding some food like Salmon, Tuna, Oysters, broccoli, tomato, walnut, and Kidney beans which contain Omega-3 and rich in antioxidants can make your hair look revitalized and glossier thereby reducing dry frizzy hair.
Taking care to prevent damage from dry and frizzy hair: Taking care of your hair is not a one-day job, rather it’s a lifelong process. Besides applying home remedies for dry and frizzy hair, you should take some preventive measures to protect your hair from being damaged by external elements.
You should practice the following to protect yourself from dry frizzy hair -
- Avoid excess exposure to sunlight, wear a hat or cover your hair to protect it from direct sun exposure.
- Avoid washing your hair too often.
- Avoid using chemical-based shampoos.
- Start using a mild shampoo.
- Moisturizing your hair every week.
- Periodical hair trimming to prevent split ends.
- Maintain a healthy lifestyle & drink lots of water.
Make hair care a priority: Washing your hair using the best product for dry frizzy hair can make your hair look healthy and shining. Applying hair masks on a weekly basis and using products designed to reduce frizz can help maintain silky and glossy hair, no matter what the weather or activity.
At Traya, We help you to take control of your hair loss in a tailor-made, and scientific way. Many people face stubborn hair problems such as hair loss, thinning hair, premature graying, and baldness. There might be situations when you have tried the best conditioner for frizzy hair, also you may have tried some home remedies for dry frizzy hair, but nothing seems to give you the expected result due to underlying health conditions.
Good quality hair serum benefits are immense to prevent dry and frizzy hair. Also, you may consult with our expert panel of Dermatologists, Nutritionists, and the application of Ayurveda can help you solve all your hair-related problems.