Do you feel low on confidence because of the tiny flakes that appear on your shoulders and sleeves of your sleek black dress? However, there’s no reason to worry as Traya has got you covered with its scalp oil and anti-dandruff shampoo!
Dandruff affects 50% of the world’s population and can impact your behaviour in public dramatically. Medically known as seborrhea, dandruff can weaken your scalp and is very often a result of stress and dry skin, combined with poor brushing and an unsuitable hair care regime. Although a flaky and itchy scalp is the primary identifier of dandruff, it can also lead to conditions such as tingling greasy patches on the scalp.
So, what is the remedy for dandruff, dandruff solution and an itchy scalp? While multiple hair care products are available in the market to help you counter dandruff, homemade solutions work equally well. Various ayurvedic solutions using natural ingredients are also very effective in treating dandruff. Natural oils are alan excellent solution too! Let’s first take a look at the major causes for dandruff and then explore solutions for the same.
What Are the Common Causes of Dandruff?
Dandruff is caused due to a fungus known as Malassezia. This can begin to grow on the scalp due to a variety of reasons and results in scalp damage and extreme dryness. In some conditions, the scalp produces more oil in this situation and dandruff becomes a sticky and oily scene. Some major causes of dandruff are listed below –
- Not using shampoo as regularly as needed
- Irregular hair washing
- Stress and other associated illnesses
- Sensitivity to hair care products
- Irregular and improper brushing
- Skin disorders like eczema
So what is the best solution for dandruff? Natural remedies work equally well, though in extreme cases medicated over-the-counter anti dandruff solutions and shampoos can be used too.
Easy Homemade Remedies to Get Rid of Dandruff
Various easy homemade remedies can go a long way in removing dandruff. Discussed below, are some hair dandruff solution at home –
This is an effective hair dandruff solution at home. Just sprinkle a handful of baking soda on dampened hair and rub thoroughly. Rinse and do not use shampoo. After a few applications, the hair might feel dry but the scalp will slowly start producing oils.
Aspirin has salicylic acid that helps in fighting dandruff. You can crush two aspirins and add the powder to your shampoo, use the shampoo normally, washing for a few minutes.
After shampooing your hair, apply yogurt and let it remain for about 15 minutes. After rinsing with water, wash your hair with a little shampoo. Yogurt has friendly bacteria that help in preventing flaking on the scalp. You can also add black pepper as that has anti-fungal properties.
It is acidic and prevents fungus growth. It can be considered the best anti dandruff solution in your kitchen.
- You can mix two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar in a cup of water and pour after shampooing and rinse off with water after messaging for a few minutes. Repeat this every alternate day.
- Banana with apple cider vinegar is a good choice to keep dandruff at bay. Bananas are rich in vitamin B and keep the scalp healthy along with improving blood circulation. To one full banana add some apple cider vinegar and mix into a fine paste. Apply this paste on the hair, massage onto the scalps gently, and let it dry for 20 minutes. Rinse by washing with a mild shampoo. You can do this before going for your daily bath.
Orange peel is an effective dandruff solution. You can take a few peels of orange, mix with some lemon juice and grind into a fine paste and apply it to the hair. Keep it applied for about half an hour and later, wash with a mild shampoo. This treatment can be done thrice a week till dandruff goes away.
Green tea is antifungal, has antioxidants, and is useful as an anti dandruff solution. You can use green tea in a very simple fashion at home. Put two bags of green tea in hot water and let it cool. Pour the green tea over your scalp and hair. Keep it applied for some time, preferably about half an hour. After that wash your hair. You can do this during bathing.
Curd is a very effective natural dandruff solution. Apply curd on your hair and later rinse with a mild shampoo. You can keep the curd applied for about half an hour.
Beat egg yolk in a bowl, you may add a few teaspoons of lemon juice, apply the paste on the hair and the scalp. Make sure the hair is dry before the application of the paste. Leave the application on the hair for about half an hour and cover it with a shower cap. Wash normally afterward.
Basil has antifungal and antibacterial properties and is thus a very effective hair fall dandruff solution which is wholly a natural remedy. The basil leaves help the scalp become healthy. Make a fine paste from a few basil leaves, two teaspoons of amla, a little water, and apply to the scalp. After about 30 minutes, rinse normally.
Vinegar is antifungal and is an effective way to get easily rid of dandruff and itchiness of the scalp. Boil two cups of vinegar. Next, mix it with half a cup of water after it cools down. Use this anti dandruff solution to clean your scalp while you take a bath. Rinse with a mild shampoo. You will notice a reduction in dryness and itchiness over time thus reducing the occurrence of dandruff.
Garlic has antifungal properties and can cure dandruff. To a few cloves of garlic, add honey, and beat into a fine paste. Apply this on your scalp and let it dry. Rinse your hair with shampoo after about 15 minutes.
Fuller's earth absorbs dust, oil, and grease. All these elements are responsible for the development of dandruff. To keep your scalp dandruff and dirt free, make a paste from fuller’s earth and water. You can add a few drops of lemon if you want. Apply this paste to the scalp. Let it be soaked in for about 20 minutes. Rinse normally afterward.
Mehndi works well as an anti dandruff solution and also makes the hair soft. You can make a paste out of mehndi, curd, and some lemon juice and keep it for about eight hours. Apply the paste on your hair later, keep it for about two to three hours and then wash with water normally.
Natural Oils to Treat Dry Scalp
Olive oil is packed with immense benefits for the hair. Apply on your hair and scalp. Massage the scalp gently. You can leave the oil for an hour and then wash it with a mild shampoo.
It is antifungal and fights the strains of fungus that cause dandruff and is a remedy for dandruff itchy scalp.
- At the time of washing your hair, add a drop to the shampoo.
- Add a few drops of tea tree oil along to a carrier oil and massage as usual. Coconut oil or olive oil can be used as a carrier. Massage with the oil at least and leave for about two hours before hair wash. Use a mind shampoo to wash your hair afterward
Tea tree oil can irritate some people who have sensitive skin. You can apply a few drops of the tea tree oil and carrier oil mix to the inside of your arms and check if you have any irritation. Always use the tea tree oil along with a carrier oil.
Coconut oil is a very effective anti dandruff solution. It prevents flaking and dryness and also hydrates the scalp.
- You can massage gently on your scalp and hair with organic coconut oil and wash with a mild shampoo after leaving for about two hours.
- Coconut Oil along with lemon juice is also very effective in reducing dandruff. Heat two tablespoons of coconut oil and add to it an equal amount of lemon juice. Apply the mixture to the scalp and massage gently. Wash with a mild shampoo later.
Coconut oil is also useful in treating eczema which is one of the reasons that causes dandruff. Clinical studies have found that using coconut oil for a period of six to eight weeks is useful in reducing symptoms of atopic dermatitis which is a type of eczema characterized by inflammation and itching.
Various essential oils are also helpful as a dandruff solution. These should always be used along with carrier oil. Massage with this combination on your scalp. A few essential oils that are a remedy for dandruff and itchy scalp are listed below -
- To a carrier oil such as olive oil, add a few drops of Lavender oil. Massage your hair with this.
- Camphor oil is useful in treating dandruff. Camphor is antifungal and keeps the scalp cool. A small amount of camphor oil can be mixed with coconut oil. Use this oil for massaging your scalp every day.
- Sandalwood oil mixed with lime juice can be used to gently massage the hair a little while before taking a bath.
Ayurvedic Treatment for Dandruff
Traya formulates their hair loss solutions with the help of Ayurveda. The knowledge of Ayurveda has a lot to offer in terms of health treatments. There are various benefits of using natural ingredients to treat dandruff and flakiness like lesser probabability of side-effects or any reactions. Let us look at some of the natural ingredients that are commonly used for treating hair issues–
Aloe vera has a moisturizing effect and helps in reducing skin irritation and flakiness making it an effective anti dandruff solution. Apply aloe vera gel or pulp from a fresh plant to your hair and scalp and massage. In fact, Traya’s scalp oil contains Aloe Vera. You can even massage your scalp with this oil. Follow it up with a wash, using an anti-dandruff shampoo.
Neem is an active component in many natural hair care products and it is one of the best, a very useful anti dandruff solution. It has antifungal and anti-inflammatory properties. You can use Neem on your hair very conveniently.
- Neem paste - Firstly crush some leaves and make a thick paste. Apply this paste on the scalp and let it sit for 10 minutes. Wash with water.
- Neem oil – Apply neem oil on the hair and massage it on the scalp. Leave for a few hours and wash with a mild shampoo.
- Neem Water – Boil a few leaves in water, cool, and use to rinse your hair.
Lemon is rich in Vitamin C, zinc and is an ideal ayurvedic solution for dandruff. It has antifungal and antibacterial properties and is rich in antioxidants.
- Squeeze lemon juice on your hair and massage for a few minutes. Rinse with a mild shampoo. The acidic nature of lemon restores the pH of the scalp and fights dandruff.
- Mix lemon juice, ginger juice, and olive oil in equal amounts. Apply this on the scalp and the hair. Leave for about an hour before rinsing off.
- You can prepare a hair mask with lemon peel powder, sandalwood powder, and multani mitti. Apply this paste to the scalp. Wash off after leaving for about an hour.
Amla is one of the best sources of vitamin C and stands out as an anti dandruff solution. You can prepare a mask from amla powder, tulsi leaves, and a little lemon juice. Apply this on the hair and leave for about an hour before rinsing off with water. Amla is found in many of Traya’s hair care products.
This is one of the best natural solution for dandruff. You can soak methi seeds overnight and prepare a paste from the softened seeds the next morning. You can add lemon juice or yogurt to this paste. Apply the paste to your scalp. Wash off after leaving on for about 30 minutes.
A permanent solution for dandruff comes from a variety of factors. You should use the right shampoo for your hair and prefer herbal products, keep your hair clean and avoid long gaps between hair washes and lead a healthy lifestyle.
Popular ArticlesRedensyl Side Effects | Ashwagandha For Height | Redensyl | Scalp Psoriasis Vs Dandruff | Summer Hair Care | Monsoon Hair Care Tips | How To Reduce Hair Fall | Vitamin B12 Deficiency Hair Loss | How Often To Wash Hair | Ajwain Powder | Trichotillomania Hair Pulling Disorder | Can Ayurveda Reverse Grey Hair | Iron Deficiency Hair Loss Treatment | How Does Vitamin E Help In Hair Growth | Stages Of Receding Hairline | What Is Sulfate Free Shampoo | Chemotherapy Hair Loss | Glycerin For Hair | Operculina Turpethum | Hairfall In Teenagers
Buy Multivitamin Tablet | Buy Hair Fall Tablets | Buy Herbal Tablets | Buy Minoxidil 5% | Buy Herbal Hair Oil | Buy Hair Fall Shampoo | Buy Anti Dandruff Shampoo | Buy Hair Root Serum | Buy Digestion Tablets | Buy Shatavari Ghrita | Buy Minoxidil 2% |