Ajwain for weight loss
Ajwain is not just a spice that flavours up your curries. It is packed with benefits that make the digestive system strong and aid in weight loss. Read on to know more on how to use Ajwain for weight loss.
Ajwain can be found in every Indian household. Ajwain seeds are the go to spice for flavouring curries and adding a tinge to the parathas and pooris. The Ajwain leaf is used in salads and raita, along with flavouring vegetable juices. We would not realize this more than often, that this overwhelming culinary application is not merely for lending taste! Ajwain is a very beneficial herb when it comes to the health of the digestive system and you can also use Ajwain for weight loss. It is also very easy to grow the Ajwain plant.
Traditionally as well as in Ayurveda, Ajwain seeds have been the most common remedy for solving issues such as acidity, indigestion, constipation, and heaviness after meals. Ajwain enhances the metabolism and promotes better digestion by aiding the secretion of digestive juices. Do you know what goes best with a superior rate of metabolism and smooth digestion? Yes, it's weight loss. Here we discuss how we can avail of these benefits and use Ajwain for weight loss. We will look at the best ways to consume Ajwain for weight loss, the various preparations, and other herbs that can accompany the Ajwain to help you in your weight loss journey.
How does Ajwain help with weight loss?
You can use carom seeds for weight loss very effectively. Let us see why we recommend Ajwain for quick weight loss -
- Thymol is a compound found in Ajwain seeds. This is the secret behind the benefits of Ajwain for digestion.
- Thymol is anti-inflammatory and antiseptic in nature and also helps to increase the secretion of gastric juices in the stomach.
- This effect of thymol promotes better digestion. It can be very useful in providing relief from abdominal gas and chronic constipation.
- Ajwain leaves can also be used to this effect. If you feel bloating and heaviness after meals, simply chew a few Ajwain leaves after your meals. This will enhance the digestive process.
- Chewing Ajwain leaves after meals also promotes oral health by acting on the microbes and bacteria in the mouth that feed on leftovers between teeth and cause bad breath.
- Due to the above actions of the Ajwain seeds and Ajwain leaves the body experiences enhanced metabolism after their consumption.
- An increased metabolism makes it easier to reduce weight. When the food is digested and eliminated properly, weight loss becomes easier. If the food is not digested well, there is a build-up of toxins and waste which slows down metabolism and makes burning calories difficult for you.
- Ajwain improves the absorption of nutrients during the digestive process. This leads to less fat storage and hence reduces the chances of putting on weight.
- Ajwain also has antioxidant properties. This removes toxic build-up in the body, making it easier to lose weight.
An effective weight loss regime has two essentials – a suitable diet and exercise. For weight loss, it is essential that we eat a well-balanced diet that is rich in fibre and other nutrients. It is also essential that we exercise and practice a balance of physical and mental wellbeing. Using Ajwain for weight loss aids this journey by making the metabolism superior, improving digestion, and removing toxins from the body.
Ways to consume Ajwain for weight loss
If you’re looking to avail the Ajwain benefits for weight loss, there are many preparations that you can choose from. Here we discuss some of the ways you can Ajwain seeds for weight loss –
This is one of the easiest and most common ways to use Ajwain for weight loss. You can use this Ajwain water for belly fat reduction.
- Take two teaspoons of Ajwain seeds and dry roast in a pan on a low flame. Keep roasting until the seeds release their pungent aroma.
- Take the seeds off the pan and keep them aside for a few minutes.
- Boil half a litre of water. Once boiling, add the roasted seeds.
- Keep boiling till you notice the colour of the water changing to light brown. This generally happens in a few minutes.
- Strain the water.
- Keep drinking throughout the day, especially after meals.
Another way is soaking the seeds overnight and adding honey to enhance the efficacy of Ajwain for weight loss. This drink along with a low carb diet can start showing results within three months.
- Soak two teaspoons of Ajwain seeds in water overnight.
- The next morning, strain the water and add a teaspoon of honey.
- Consume on an empty stomach.
Jeera Ajwain saunf water benefits the digestive system and is an excellent way to use ajwain for weight loss.
- Roast one teaspoon of Ajwain seeds, Cumin seeds and Fennel seeds on a low flame. Keep aside once done.
- To four cups of boiling water, add the roasted seeds.
- Keep boiling the mixture till you notice a change in the colour to brown, at this point turn the flame off.
- Strain the water and let it cool.
- Keep drinking this concoction throughout the day.
Also known as Ajwain tea, improvement in digestion and assistance in weight loss are the two main jeera Ajwain water benefits. Let’s see how you can prepare Ajwain tea for weight loss.
- Roast one teaspoon of Ajwain seeds and Cumin seeds on a low flame. Keep aside once done.
- To half a litre of boiling water, add the roasted seeds.
- Keep boiling the mixture till you notice a change in the colour, strain the water and let it cool.
- You can drink this early in the morning on an empty stomach.
You might not always have the time to prepare the various kinds of Ajwain water drinks described above. In such a case you can use Ajwain powder coupled with fenugreek (hing) and nigella seeds (kalonji). This is also a method where you can use Ajwain water at night for weight loss.
- Take equal amounts of Ajwain seeds, fenugreek, nigella seeds and dry roast them separately.
- Mix all the ingredients after roasting and grind the mixture into a fine powder.
- The mixture can be stored in an airtight container.
- Mix a teaspoon of this powder in lukewarm water and drink before going to bed.
Apart from having Ajwain water and other mixes, simple roasted Ajwain for weight loss is also an easy and effective method.
- Take some Ajwain seeds and dry roast them on a low flame.
- Once the seeds start letting off the characteristic aroma, turn the burner off.
- After cooling, store the seeds in an airtight container.
- Have a teaspoon of these seeds about half an hour before breakfast.
- You can also have this before the other meals during the day.
Benefits of drinking Ajwain water
Drinking Ajwain water has loads of benefits. Apart from the benefits of ajwain for weight loss, it is also helpful for babies.
Drinking Ajwain water improves digestion. Thymol, a compound found in Ajwain seeds enhances the production of gastric juices and improves digestion. This helps in relieving conditions such as constipation, acidity and bloating. When the food is digested well, build-up of toxins and waste is avoided and metabolism remains good well as burning of calories is effective. Ajwain also helps in the absorption of nutrients, which causes less fat storage and helps in weight loss.
Ajwain water helps in improving the rate of metabolism of the body. If you have Ajwain water before breakfast the metabolism of your body has a good kickstart. Improved rate of metabolism also helps in losing weight.
Ajwain water has a lot of benefits for babies. After eight months of age, babies can be fed a small amount of Ajwain water. It can help treat a lot of gastrointestinal issues that babies face. Some of these benefits for babies are -
- Provides relief from gas in babies.
- When babies try new foods, they can be prone to upset stomach and digestive disorders. In such situations, Ajwain water can provide a lot of relief.
- Constipation is common in babies. Giving Ajwain water can regulate bowel movements.
- Ajwain water can increase appetite in babies.
- Ajwain water is also helpful in providing relief during cold and cough in babies.
Best Method to Prepare Ajwain water for weight loss
Drinking Ajwain water is one of the best ways to use Ajwain for weight loss. As we discussed in a section earlier, you can prepare Ajwain water with a variety of combinations of spices such as cumin (jeera), fennel (saunf) and Nigella seeds (kalonji). Here we look at the best way to prepare Ajwain water for weight loss.
- Dry roast about two teaspoons of Ajwain seeds. When the seeds start to let off their smell, you can stop roasting. This would generally take one to two minutes.
- Soak these roasted seeds in a cup of water overnight.
- The next morning, boil the water along with the seeds, strain it and let it cool.
- Drink this in the morning on an empty stomach.
There are many benefits of drinking Ajwain water in the morning. In the morning, the metabolic rate is very high and the Ajwain water will provide a kickstart to this. You can also sip this Ajwain water throughout the day at least half an hour before meals. This practice should help you in keeping your metabolism fast and maximize the effects of Ajwain for weight loss.