Did you know that walnuts have a rich history that dates back to 7000 B.C., and that they are the oldest tree food known to humans? From the ancient Greeks to the Romans, they all knew about the value of walnuts and used them extensively in their medicines. Yes, walnuts are not only delicious but are also a powerhouse of nutrients. Eating them can give you immense health benefits and they can also transform your hair in many ways.
Nutritional Value of Walnuts
Walnuts are filled with omega-3 and omega 6 fats, and antioxidants and the strange fact that it is literally shaped like a human brain is ironic when you consider that this is one of the best foods to eat for brain health. They are the perfect low carb snack that gives you the required amount of fiber your body needs. They also contain copper, phosphorus, folic acid, vitamin E and vitamin B6, and manganese, and can do everything from improving your immune function to supporting your nerve health and strengthening your bones and hair. Another important aspect is the fact that walnuts reduce inflammation in your body, and eating them can make you feel full thanks to its ample quantities of healthy fats. This means that you are satiated sooner and less likely to reach for unhealthy foods. Studies show that it can halt the growth of cancer by preventing tumors from growing, and is supposed to be especially beneficial for keeping breast and prostate cancer at bay.
Health experts highly recommend including it in your diet, either as a snack, in your food, in the form as a healthy spread, or even a walnut oil that adds a nutty flavor when drizzled over a salad. There are countless ways in which you can incorporate walnuts in your diet, and no matter how you have them, they taste delicious. Try sprinkling them over your cereal, oatmeal or even your fruits to add a delish twist to your breakfast, or pack some up for an on-the-go snack that will help you stay mentally fit and alert.
How Does Walnuts Help In Hair Growth
Having some walnuts a day can leave you with stunning hair. Experts say walnuts are good for hair. Here are the benefits of eating walnuts for hair.
- Walnuts contain vitamin B, E, and magnesium, which helps to strengthen the cuticles of your hair.
- It also helps nourish your scalp.
- Another unique benefit is its ability to repair any damage caused to your strands by exposure to the harsh rays of the sun, and other environmental damage.
- By nourishing your follicles, walnuts are filled with essential fatty acids that regulate the production of oil on your scalp, and helps lessen dandruff and other scalp infections by infusing it with natural oils to protect and stimulate your scalp.
- These fatty acids can also strengthen your hair from root to tip.
- It also contains selenium. Without enough selenium, you can face the problem of hair fall. Eating walnuts can help remedy this.
- It contains biotin or vitamin B7, which is crucial for improving hair growth and texture.
Ways to Use Walnuts For Hair
Apart from eating walnuts, the best way to get its potent benefits for your hair is to use walnut oil. Yes, walnut oil is good for hair, and it can be a miracle cure that can help your strands in numerous ways. Turns out, your grandmother was right when she claimed ‘akhrot benefits hair.’ Read on to see walnut oil hair benefits.
- Are you battling with grey hair and are looking for natural ways to restore your original colour? Look no further than walnut oil, which contains protein to help lessen greying and darken your hair naturally when well massaged into your scalp and roots. Walnut benefits for grey hair is a powerful remedy indeed.
- In addition to reducing greys, walnut oil has antifungal properties to reduce any infections. Walnut oil also has its uses for hair growth and can help your hair grow faster, longer and healthier in no time.
- Simply massage it into the hair and leave on for an hour before shampooing off with a mild and gentle hair cleanser.
- Did you know that you can make your own DIY hair dye by using walnut shells? Simply crush them and then add them to a pan of boiling water. Leave to cool and then separate the shells from the liquid by straining the mixture. Take a cotton ball and dip it into the liquid, massaging it into your hair.
- Opt for a walnut-infused shampoo and conditioner to help speed up your hair growth and keep your hair nourished.
- You can make a DIY hair mask by mixing a few drops of walnut oil to curd, honey or avocados, and apply the mixture on your hair for 20 minutes before washing off. Your strands will literally gleam with health post this treatment.
Other Benefits Of Walnut
If you are still not convinced about how walnuts can change your health and hair, we have yet another reason to use walnuts in your routine. Here are walnuts benefits for your hair and skin.
- All the vitamins, minerals and antioxidants it contains can help hydrate not just your hair but your skin as well, leaving it soft and glowing.
- It can help slow down the ageing process and keep you looking youthful for longer by tackling and reducing fine lines and wrinkles.
- When applied topically, the oil can help treat psoriasis.
- It can protect your skin from damage caused by harmful UV rays.
- It can boost blood circulation, and leave you with a rosy glow.
- It can help lock in moisture, leaving your skin plump and hydrated.
- It gives you about 11% of your daily potassium needs and in this way, decreases puffiness, bloating and saggy skin.
Go on, pick up that bowl of walnuts the next time you face hunger pangs, and buy a bottle of walnut oil, and see your strands come to life with its regular treatment.