Pumpkin Seed Oil for Hair Growth
The healthy fats found in a number of plant-based oils make them a very good option for hair and skin apart from being an excellent option for the overall health of your body. Pumpkin seed oil is believed to be very helpful in stopping hair loss. Let’s find out more about the pumpkin seeds benefits for hair and how you can regrow thinning hair with its application.
Benefits of Pumpkin Seed Oil for Hair
The phytosterols present in Pumpkin seed hair oil are very good for hair growth. They can block the hormones and enzymes that are responsible for hair loss. Pumpkin seeds block DHT with the help of its many beneficial nutrients. They are also available as oil gel capsules. However, you can also take it straight up, the recommended dosage being 1 teaspoon to 1 tablespoon 3 times a day. Pumpkin seed oil has also seen good success in the treatment of female pattern baldness.
Pumpkin seed hair oil can also be topically applied to your hair to derive maximum benefit. A hot oil treatment once a week can be immensely beneficial for your hair. It could be done in the following way.
- Shampoo your hair normally
- Put moderately warm pumpkin oil on your wet scalp and massage thoroughly
- Wrap your head with a hot dampened towel.
- Wash your hair with shampoo after 20 minutes and condition afterwards.
Other Benefits Of Pumpkin Seed Oil
Pumpkin seed oil benefits hair and also has a number of other advantages for your overall health. It has a number of cosmetic and culinary uses. It can be used as a finishing oil for various dishes as well as in salad dressings. The presence of many beneficial ingredients make them quite a potent health seed. They can be useful in sorting out many dietary deficiencies as well as adding to your health.
Pumpkin seed oil is full of vitamins and also has anti-inflammatory properties. It has linoleic acid which is good for blood pressure and enhances insulin sensitivity. The good antioxidant levels also help it fight many body ailments.
The presence of oleic acid which is a monounsaturated fat is also very beneficial as it decreases the risk of coronary heart disease. It can help lower cholesterol. Pumpkin oil is an unsaturated oil and is good for health.
It is also very good for prostate issues. It is a treatment for benign prostate hypertrophy or an enlarged prostate. This is an extremely painful condition as it blocks the flow of urine. Pumpkin seed oil when mixed with palmetto oil is a very potent medicine as it facilitates better urine flow.
Pumpkin seed oil is also very good at solving all problems involving the urinary tract. This has helped a number of people with overactive bladders.
Pumpkin oil is a very good mood booster and is also believed to solve all depression issues. It has good zinc and potassium content which helps normalise the electrolyte balance of an individual. Potassium-rich foods help relieve symptoms of stress and anxiety.
- Pumpkin seeds can also lower blood sugar levels. The rich magnesium content is believed to be helpful in controlling diabetes.
- The good dietary fibre content in pumpkin seeds also facilitates better body digestion and lower heart disease possibilities.
- Pumpkin seeds also have Tryptophan, an amino acid which helps you sleep better. The magnesium content in pumpkin seeds also helps you achieve this.
How to Make Pumpkin Seed Oil at Home
Pumpkin seeds are a good source of magnesium, unsaturated fatty acids and calcium. It is also full of nutrients like vitamins B1, B6, A, E and K. It is not difficult to make pumpkin seed oil at home.
Split the pumpkin into half, this will expose the seeds. Remove the seeds from a pumpkin, taking care to extract them from the pulp. Wash the seeds and keep them out to dry after removing all the fibres from them. It is now time to roast the seeds. But be careful not to burn them. Then use a mortar and pestle to extract the oil, using pressure. Pour the oil out in an airtight container and use it only after 4 weeks. Use this home preparation of pumpkin oil for hair and see the benifits.
It is also convenient to use a pumpkin seed oil press. You have to press the seedcoat too, also remove all stones or they might end up damaging the press screw. The big seeds travel into the screw and that reduces the amount of oil that could come out considerably. The oil is normally dark green in colour but could also appear as dark brown or red if seen in thicker consistencies. Use this pumpkin seed oil for hair and find it become healthier.
How To Use Pumpkin Seed Oil
There are many different ways in which you can use pumpkin seeds for hair growth and which could enhance the quality of your hair. You can use the pumpkin seed oil as an ingredient in a natural hair mask. You can also use pumpkin oil capsules
- Take an egg yolk, 1 tablespoon of raw organic honey and pumpkin seed oil, mix the three to get a uniform consistency. Massage it gently into your hair and then wear a shower cap for at least 3 hours before washing your hair. Try this out twice a week for a duration of 2 months for best results. This is a potent way of using pumpkin seeds for hair regrowth.
- Mix together 2 teaspoons each of pumpkin seed hair oil, coconut oil and castor oil. This is an effective form of pre-shampoo hair treatment. This is an excellent method of using pumpkin seed oil for hair loss.
- Add 1 part of pumpkin seed oil with 3 parts grapeseed oil in a bowl. Put this bowl containing the mixture in a container of warm water so that the mixture also becomes warm. Apply this to your wet hair and scalp and put on a shower cap before washing your hair 30 minutes later.
- Add half a teaspoon of pumpkin seed oil to chamomile tea. You can use this as a hair rinse over shampooed hair and then rinse off again in 5 minutes. Another very potent way of using pumpkin oil for hair.
- If you are experiencing severe hair fall a mix of pumpkin seed oil and peppermint oil can work wonders for you. This can facilitate hair growth and is also a potent natural scalp cleanser. This can reduce any build-up of impurities in the hair follicles which prevent nutrients from nourishing them.
Mix together 10 drops each of peppermint oil and pumpkin seed oil and apply this to your scalp once or twice a week. Massage thoroughly after this and then keep your scalp covered for 30 minutes before using a shampoo to wash it off. This is another effective remedy of pumpkin seed oil for hair.
Does Pumpkin Seed Oil Have Any Side Effects?
There are also a number of side effects of pumpkin seed oil and it is advisable to consult with your medical practitioner before using it. Pumpkin seed oil needs to be stored in a cool dry place away from sunlight or it could spoil easily.
- Pumpkin seeds have extremely high fibre content and the excessive intake could be responsible for gas and bloating. The fibre helps solve constipation problems but if you have too much you might in fact be aggravating your constipation issues.
- The high calories and fat in pumpkin seeds could also be responsible for quick weight gain if you eat too much of it.
- It could reduce blood pressure levels and so people suffering from low blood pressure levels need to exercise caution before using it.
A number of people have begun to use pumpkin seed oil for hair growth in preference to olive oil as a stand-alone product or in combination with other ingredients. It can be incorporated into your diet for the several significant health benefits or can be used topically to enhance the condition of your hair and skin. Visit us at Traya and get more beneficial advice from our experts on how to use pumpkin seed oil for hair growth or how to reduce hair fall. Find out how you can expedite your journey towards your perfect hair.
Popular ArticlesHow To Make Hair Silky | Hibiscus For Hair | Hair Regrowth | Shatavari For Women | Shea Butter For Hair | Argan Oil For Hair | Side Effects Of Minoxidil | Mustard Oil For Hair | How To Reduce Body Heat Ayurveda | Ashwagandha Benefits For Women | Walnut Benefits For Hair | Eucalyptus Oil For Hair | Bleach Hair | Coloured Hair | Hair Care In Winter | Lemongrass Oil For Hair | Ashwagandha For Hair | Minoxidil For Beard | Dry Shampoo Hairstyles That Dont Damage Your Hair
Dr. Jaspreet Sarna, M.D
Dr. Sarna is an MD (Skin & VD) with a decade-long experience in treating hair loss and working on hair regrowth. She believes stress management is the key to good health.