Having a good hair day can make your day better by boosting your self-confidence. One way to ensure maximum good hair days is to have great hair volume and density. Let's figure out some tips and tricks on how to increase hair volume and achieve those hair goals.
Hair volume indicates the amount of hair on the scalp. Hair volume determines how thick or thin your hair appears. Hair loss can reduce hair volume. It is important to know your hair volume and density, because you need to choose your hair care products accordingly. . If your hair is thick, you can opt for products such as heavy sit-in conditioners. If your hair is thin, you can go for lightweight products that do not weigh down the hair and increase hair volume.
Here are some of the causes for low hair volume or density:
- Genes - are a key factor in determining your hair volume.
- Diet - If your diet is lacking in essential nutrients and vitamins can improve your hair density and volume of hair.
- Medical conditions - Autoimmune diseases, thyroid, PCOS can cause hair loss and can affect hair volume and density.
- Stress and sleep - poor sleep and high stress can trigger hair loss and reduce the volume of hair and its density
- Internal health - poor digestion, metabolism, and absorption can trigger hair loss or aggravate hair loss conditions reducing the volume of hair.
- Lifestyle - Smoking, consumption of alcohol and lack of exercise can all reduce hair volume and thickness.
- Ageing - Hair volume decreases with age due to the ageing of your hair follicles
- Hormonal fluctuations - Onset of periods, pregnancy, post-pregnancy and menopause can all affect your hair volume and density.
There is a lot of information and methods that tell you how to increase hair volume. These include natural as well as chemical treatments. In this article, you can learn how to increase hair volume and thickness.
How to measure Hair Volume?
For women, you can measure the hair volume by measuring the thickness of your pony. If it is 2 inches then your hair volume and density is good, if not then it is low. And in men, you can wet or oil your hair and if your scalp is visible then your hair volume and density is low. If not then your hair volume is good.
How to increase hair volume?
Few remedies to increase hair volume work from the inside while others are external (or cosmetic). In this and subsequent sections we look at how to increase hair volume:
- De-stress regularly
Stress is a major cause of hair fall. You should keep your stress levels under check – involve yourself in physical activities and yoga. Pursuing hobbies can also help you destress. This in turn gives you healthy hair.
- Trim your hair every 5 – 6 weeks
Hair Trimming helps you get rid of split and damaged ends. This helps in improving the volume of hair by speeding growth.
- Be cautious with your hair care routine
Overuse of shampoo and conditioner, not choosing the right shampoo for your hair and scalp type, excess use of chemical and heat treatments can all affect your hair volume and density. So ensure that you shampoo twice a week. And not to use heat treatments every day and to do proper hair care if your hair is chemically treated.
Also Read: How Often Should You Wash Your Hair
- Consume a nutritious diet
According to Ayurveda, diet plays a major role in your hair health. The key is to have a low pitta diet (less acidic) and food that’s good hair. Balanced diet with proper fibre, proteins, vitamins, minerals and vitamins is a diet for healthy hair. Stay away from junk and processed foods as they can raise the acidic pH of your body.
- Lifestyle changes
Cut down on smoking and reduce the consumption of alcohol. Stay hydrated and get at least 6-8 hours of sleep every night.
- Hair care habits to adapt
Avoid combing rigorously and frequently. If you have wavy or curly hair then, switch to a wide-toothed comb. Don't tie or comb your hair when hair is wet. And if you see an increase in hair fall, hair thinning and hairline receding then get a consult from a dermatologist in person or online to check if you may have a hair loss condition.
How to increase hair volume naturally?
Ayurveda has always connected hair health with internal health. Poor internal health will always result in increased hair loss. There are some Ayurvedic herbs that help boost hair health and increase hair volume.
Bhringraj nourishes hair follicles by increasing blood flow and promoting hair growth. This helps improve hair volume. Bhringraj can be used in the form of an oil as Traya Herbal Oil or a hair supplement in the form of Traya Hair Ras. Bhringiraj oil is one of the best methods for increasing hair volume.
This super popular herb is best for health, skin, and hair. Ashwagandha helps improve your sleep quality by having a relaxing effect on your body. It also helps reduce stress which is one of the main triggers for hair fall.
Amla for hair growth and volume has been used in India traditionally for centuries. Amla is rich in antioxidants and vitamins which help nourish your hair. It increases blood flow to the scalp and helps prevent dandruff. Amla oil increases blood circulation to make hair healthy and dark and also helps to get rid of dandruff to improve scalp health.
Traya uses haritaki, bibhitaki and amalaki herbs in the Ayurvedic formulation of Triphala. It helps balance pH in your body and stimulates hair follicles to improve hair growth. You can use Triphala as a supplement or infuse it into your oil. Triphala is used in Traya's Gut Shuddhi to improve hair loss that stems from poor digestion and gut health.
Brahmi helps treat the dryness of the scalp to reduce dryness and itching. It also nourishes hair roots to strengthen hair and boost hair growth. It also helps lower stress levels to reduce hair loss due to stress.
Diet to Increase Hair Thickness
As discussed before, a healthy and balanced diet rich in vitamins and minerals is the answer for how to increase hair volume.
- Keratin is a protein that is the building block of hair and hence a protein-rich diet is essential for good hair health.
- Nutrients such as antioxidants, amino acids, biotin, folic acid, Vitamins such as C, E, A, D promote better hair health.
- Minerals such as Selenium, Iron, Zinc nourish the hair.
You can include the below foods in your diet and eliminate the need of using any supplements:
- Fish, eggs, daal as sources of protein
- Green and leafy vegetables to provide iron
- Yogurt is a source of zinc
- Carrots are a source of Vitamin A
- Curry leaves provide calcium, iron, and Vitamin E, C, B, A
- Amla and citrus fruits are a rich source of Vitamin C
- Whole grains are rich in Vitamin B complex, biotin, and minerals such as zinc, iron
- Nuts like walnuts and flax seeds provide fatty acids
In case you are suffering from a hair loss condition, then it is important to adhere to a low pitta diet. Every person who comes on the Traya treatment is given a customised hair loss treatment which is created by our Ayurveda doctor, Dr. Shailendra. This diet helps put your body in a healing state and helps you incorporate healthy hair nutrition in your diet.
Hair volume is an important aspect of hair goals. So, now you know what to do to increase your hair volume and have healthy hair. But if your hair volume is low due to a hair loss condition and you are also seeing symptoms like a receding hairline, hair thinning, poor hair growth and a visible scalp then you can book a free consultation call with our hair expert and get on the Traya hair loss treatment.