Oiling is a very essential part of the hair care schedule. It protects the hair from regular wear and tears. Thus, it is very important that you choose an oil that is best suited for your hair and apply it in a manner that delivers the maximum benefits. Let’s look at how to use hair oil and its benefits.
Benefits of Oiling Your Hair
Oiling your hair and scalp promotes the overall wellness and health of the hair. It can help in reducing hair fall and promotes exfoliation. Oils have fatty acids that are very essential in making the hair look and feel healthy. The natural lipids in the hair are lost due to external factors such as pollution and the usage of chemical treatments and products. If you have frizzy and dry hair, oiling should be an essential part of your hair care schedule. Here we list the most important benefits of oiling hair.
- Oiling promotes hair growth and strengthens the roots by nourishing the scalp and hair shaft of the essential vitamins and minerals.
- Oiling controls the frizz and prevents split ends. It deeply conditions the hair and makes the hair soft and manageable.
- Oiling protects the hair from radiation and pollution.
- Massaging the scalp during oiling improves blood circulation promoting hair growth.
- Ayurvedic oils and essential oils can help in the treatment of specific issues such as dandruff, dry scalp, scalp infection, and premature greying.
Later, we will look at how to apply oil to hair so that these benefits can be useful for the health of your hair and scalp.
How To Apply Oil To Your Hair Properly
1. Choose the right oil
Select an oil that suits your hair type and addresses your specific needs, such as coconut oil, olive oil, almond oil, argan oil, or jojoba oil. Ayurvedic and Natural oils always work better than the processed ones.
2. Prepare your hair
Comb through your hair to remove any tangles or knots before applying the oil. This will ensure even distribution.
3. Warm the oil
If the oil is solid or cool, warm it slightly to make it easier to apply. You can place the oil container in warm water for a few minutes or use your palms to gently warm the oil. If you want to treat any specific issue such as dandruff or dry scalp, at this stage just before applying the oil, you can add a few drops of essential oil as per the issue or your preference.
4. Divide your hair
Divide your hair into sections to ensure thorough application. You can create a middle parting and then divide each side into two sections, creating a total of four sections. That will make it easier to ensure complete application.
5. Start with the roots
Take a small amount of oil and apply it to your scalp using your fingertips. Massage the oil into your scalp using circular motions. This will help nourish the roots and stimulate blood circulation.
6. Apply to the length
After applying oil to your scalp, take a small amount of oil and apply it to the length of your hair. Start from the roots and work your way down to the tips. Use your fingers or a wide-toothed comb to distribute the oil evenly. Make sure to cover the areas at the back of the head and behind the ears. Try to cover the entire scalp area when applying the oil.
7. Pay attention to the ends
The ends of your hair are usually drier and more prone to damage. Apply a little extra oil to the ends and gently massage it in.
8. Repeat for all sections
Repeat steps 5-7 for each section of your hair until all sections are well-oiled. Make sure to distribute the oil evenly throughout your hair.
9. Give yourself a scalp massage
Once you have applied the oil, take a few minutes to massage your scalp using your fingertips. This will further stimulate blood circulation and help the oil penetrate your hair and scalp.
10. Steam to Open Pores
If you want to take all the benefits of the oil you can steam your hair for a while. You can also wrap a hot towel around your hair and keep it wrapped for about half an hour. This will open the cuticles and facilitate the penetration of oil in the hair.
11. Keep it Overnight
After applying the oil, leave it on for at least 30 minutes or overnight, depending on your preference. You can also steam it for sometime to ensure that the pores open and your oil gets absorbed better. You can cover your hair with a shower cap or wrap it in a towel to prevent oil stains on your pillow.
12. Rinse and wash
After the desired duration, wash your hair thoroughly with a mild shampoo to remove the oil. You may need to shampoo twice to ensure all the oil is removed. Follow up with conditioner for best results.
Remember to adjust the quantity of oil based on your hair's length and thickness. Additionally, the frequency of oiling may vary depending on your hair's needs.
How To Use Hair Oil On Frizzy Hair?
To use hair oil on frizzy hair, start by choosing an oil that is suitable for frizz control, such as argan oil or coconut oil. Begin with clean, damp hair and take a small amount of oil in your palms. Rub your hands together to distribute the oil evenly. Then, starting from the mid-lengths to the ends of your hair, gently apply the oil, focusing on the areas that tend to get frizzy. Avoid applying too much oil to the roots to prevent greasiness. Use your fingers or a wide-toothed comb to evenly distribute the oil. Allow your hair to air dry or use a diffuser on a low heat setting. The oil will help moisturize and tame frizz, leaving your hair smoother and more manageable.
When Should You Apply Hair Oil?
Hair oil can be applied in several ways to address various hair care needs.
1. Pre-Wash Treatment
- Apply hair oil before shampooing to nourish and protect the hair.
- Massage the oil into the scalp and through the lengths of the hair.
- Leave the oil on for at least 30 minutes or overnight for maximum absorption.
2. Post-Wash Leave-In Treatment
- Use hair oil as a leave-in treatment after washing and towel-drying your hair.
- Apply a small amount of oil to the damp lengths and ends.
- This helps seal in moisture, reduce frizz, and add shine to the hair.
3. Styling Aid
- Use hair oil as a styling aid to control flyaways and enhance shine.
- Rub a few drops of oil between your palms and lightly smooth it over your styled hair.
- Be cautious not to use too much oil to avoid greasiness.
4. Overnight Treatment
- Apply hair oil generously to the hair and scalp before going to bed.
- Allow the oil to deeply penetrate and hydrate the hair overnight.
- Protect your pillowcase by using a silk scarf or towel to prevent oil transfer.
- Wash your hair in the morning to remove any excess oil.
5. Scalp Massage
- Apply hair oil to the scalp and gently massage it in circular motions.
- This stimulates blood circulation and promotes a healthy scalp.
- Perform a scalp massage a few hours before washing your hair.
Experimenting with different methods will help you find the best routine for your hair's needs.
How Long Should I Leave The Oil In My Hair?
The duration for leaving hair oil in your head can vary based on personal preference and the specific purpose of the oil. As a pre-wash treatment, it is recommended to leave the oil on for at least 30 minutes or overnight for deep nourishment. When using hair oil as a leave-in treatment after washing, you can leave it in until the next wash to maintain moisture and manage frizz. For overnight treatments, leave the oil on while you sleep, and for scalp massages, a duration of 15-30 minutes is sufficient. Adjust the timing based on your hair's needs and desired results.
Best Hair Oils You Can Use
Before you perfect how to apply oil to hair, choosing the best hair oil is important. An oil that is best suited for your hair depends on your hair type and hair needs. We recommend that you always do a patch test before using any oil so that you can make sure you do not have any allergies. There are various oils that you can choose from.
Coconut Oil for Hair
This is one of the most commonly used hair oils in South Asia. Coconut oil can penetrate the hair shaft easily and provide natural protection and deep conditioning. Coconut oil is generally suitable for most hair types.
This helps prevent split ends and reduce frizziness. Sesame oil also provides deep conditioning, smoothens the hair shaft, and also has antifungal properties that prevent dandruff.
Almond Oil for Hair
Rich in biotin and vitamins E, B, and K, almond oil is good for both dry and oily hair. It is very effective for hair growth and makes the hair shiny and rich.
Argan Oil for Hair
This is also known as Moroccan oil. Rich in vitamin E, C, and E, it is a natural conditioner and helps in strengthening the hair.
Amla Oil for Hair
Rich in vitamin C, amla oil makes the hair strong and nourishes the roots promoting better hair growth.
In addition to these, you can pick from many other options such as bhringraj hair oil, castor oil for hair, or jojoba oil for hair. You can also use essential oil along with the carrier oils described above. The most common essential oils are lavender oil, tea tree oil, sandalwood oil, peppermint essential oil, etc.
Hair Oiling Do's and Don'ts
It always helps to remember a few tips on how to apply oil to hair. Let’s look at some of the precautions which can help.
- Do not comb a lot after oiling. Although combing helps distribute the oil evenly on the hair and the scalp, over-combing can break the hair. It is best to use a wide-toothed comb post oiling.
- Do not wash your hair immediately after oiling. Let the oil sit on the scalp for at least half an hour before washing. Leaving overnight could be a good option too.
- Be careful not to apply excess oil. Since the only way to wash off oil is shampoo, more oiling means more shampooing. More shampooing hampers the natural balance of oil and moisture of the hair.
- After oiling, the scalp is relaxed and the hair is in a vulnerable state. It is best not to strain the hair at this point by tying up the hair. We suggest you keep the hair open or loosely tied after oiling.
- Massaging the scalp very vigorously can break the hair. When massaging the scalp using gentle circular motions. Vigorous massaging is not how to apply oil to hair.
How Often Should You Oil Your Hair?
How to apply oil to hair and how often to oil hair are two concerns that go hand in hand. As per Ayurveda, oiling the hair must be a part of one’s daily routine however that is not practically possible these days. Oiling your hair twice a week is ideal. The best is to oil your hair the night before you are planning to wash your hair. Ayurveda also suggests leaving hair oiled overnight. If overnight oiling is not possible for you, you can apply oil about half an hour to an hour before washing the hair.
Cold After Oiling Hair
Oiling your hair is unlikely to directly cause a cold or cough. Colds and coughs are usually caused by viral infections or other factors such as allergies or environmental irritants. If you get cold after oiling your hair, it is also possible that you may be allergic or sensitive to certain oils or ingredients in hair products, which could cause respiratory symptoms such as coughing or sneezing.
If you experience allergic reactions or respiratory symptoms after using hair oil or any other hair product, it is best to stop using the product and consult with a healthcare professional to determine the cause of your symptoms and appropriate treatment.
Should You apply oil to wet hair?
Another concern with how to apply oil to hair deals with oil and wet hair. Oil and water repel each other. If applied to wet hair, the oil is not able to penetrate deeply. Water forms a layer on the hair and the oil is not able to pass through this. Thus, oiling wet hair is ineffective.
Oiling your hair when it is dry is the most recommended and effective practice. You can heat the oil a little before applying it to improve the penetration. There are many benefits of hot oil massage for hair.
Does overnight oiling damage your hair?
Now that we know how to apply oil to hair, let's address the most common question. Applying oil to the hair before bedtime is common tradition practice in India. Leaving oil applied overnight lets the oil get absorbed in the scalp tissues much better. When you leave oil applied overnight it gives the carrier oils the time to deliver the essential essence of the herbs. Overnight oiling can also help in improving the quality of your sleep.
To answer how long you should leave the oil in your hair, it is recommended that you do not leave oil applied to your hair for more than a day. This can cause an oil layer to form on the scalp which will clog the pores, cause greasiness and accumulate dirt.
Hair oiling is a timeless hair care ritual that has been passed down through generations for its multitude of benefits. From nourishing the scalp to enhancing hair strength and shine, applying hair oil properly can work wonders for your locks. Proper oiling can lead to healthy, nourished, and manageable hair, so make it a part of your hair care routine.