Eucalyptus Oil For Hair
In this article, we learn about a powerful, ancient skin and hair remedy, eucalyptus oil. Read about its history, how it changes your hair and skin, and the right way to use this oil to get hair and skin that shines with health.
Eucalyptus oil, which is also called nilgiri oil, has a fascinating history, and its role in medicine is unparalleled. But did you also know it can be a potent addition to your hair routine? Read on to see exactly why you should use eucalyptus oil for hair.
What is Eucalyptus Oil?
The eucalyptus tree is native to Australia but is cultivated worldwide, and the magical ingredient it contains is cineole or eucalyptol, which apart from having a heady sweet-woody aroma is also anti-inflammatory. A fun fact to know is that the tree is also called the ‘Australian fever tree’ on account of its usefulness in preventing malaria.
As many as 700 varieties of the eucalyptus trees exist, and the oil that was extracted was first used as an antiseptic. It became essential as a potent medicinal agent when it was used to treat influenza during World War I. It then progressively found a permanent place in most kitchens as it proved to be very beneficial in treating ulcers, burns, and wounds.
The beauty world found that it had powerful beautifying properties and even since then eucalyptus oil has been used to treat several hair and skin concerns, and eucalyptus for hair is a popular beauty ingredient. The oil is distilled from the eucalyptus leaves, which are dried, crushed and then processed to form the oil we are able to purchase. Remember that with this oil, it is only to ever be applied topically on your skin or hair, and is never to be consumed internally. We tell you why experts say eucalyptus oil is good for hair.
Benefits of Eucalyptus Oil For Hair
Here are the benefits of eucalyptus oil on hair.
- Full of antimicrobial, antifungal and herbicidal properties, eucalyptus oil for hair can lessen any fungal or bacterial infections, and helps keep your scalp free from any irritation.
- The methanol it contains can help relieve any scalp itchiness and this makes eucalyptus oil good for hair.
- Massaging your scalp with eucalyptus oil can stimulate it and increase circulation, leading to increased hair growth.
- Eucalyptus oil for hair is one of the best natural remedies to get rid of a lice infestation, making this a very good reason to use nilgiri oil for hair.
- Eucalyptus oil for hair has high moisture content adds shine and luster to your strands.
- Eucalyptus oil for dandruff has its uses too in reducing dandruff, and studies show that over time, dandruff and redness is drastically reduced with regular application of eucalyptus oil.
- Eucalyptus oil for grey hair is a smart way to restore your hair’s natural colour.
Benefits of Eucalyptus Oil For Skin
- Eucalyptus oil can speed up healing of skin infections, burns, minor injuries and wounds. When a drop or two is applied to the wounds, the antibacterial properties of the oil help the healing process to start immediately.
- Studies show that eucalyptus oil can increase the production of ceramides in your skin. This helps to reduce inflammation and protects against the loss of collagen in your skin.
- It contains antioxidants to protect your skin against damage from environmental elements.
- It can add an intense boost of moisture and hydration to your skin, and locks the moisture in to keep your skin plump and supple.
- Eucalyptus oil can clean your epidermis thoroughly and get rid of all the impurities your pores hold. This is what leads to acne, spots, breakouts and pigmentation. By purifying and cleaning your skin, it adds a glow and keeps your skin looking fresh and healthy.
- The oil is a natural healer and it can repair and strengthen dull, fragile skin.
- It can help soothe red and painful sunburns when applied to the area after mixing it with a soothing carrier oil like olive or coconut.
When & How To Use Eucalyptus Oil For Hair
Here’s what to know about uses of eucalyptus oil for hair.
- Eucalyptus oil for hair side effects can exist. Always dilute eucalyptus oil for hair before using it. In its essential oil form, it is highly concentrated. The best way to do this is to dilute it with a carrier oil like almond, coconut, jojoba or olive.
- Eucalyptus oil for hair should be left on overnight for best results or for at least 30 minutes. If you find any soreness, redness, itching, or experience any kind of allergic reaction, wash it off immediately.
- Eucalyptus oil for hair cab even be added to water and use the steam to infuse into your skin and hair. The vapor is said to be good for killing lice and destroying their eggs from multiplying on your scalp.
- Pregnant and breastfeeding women should avoid eucalyptus oil for hair. Those with asthma too should stay away from eucalyptus oil for hair. If you have a history of skin allergies, it is best to consult with your dermatologist before using eucalyptus oil for hair.
- If you have hair that is fragile or breaks easily, you can add a few drops of eucalyptus oil for hair to your shampoo to strengthen your strands. This also stimulates your roots and in this way, you get eucalyptus oil hair growth. Doing this twice a week with eucalyptus oil for hair can produce long-lasting results.
- Mixing a few drops of eucalyptus oil for hair with apple cider vinegar, and massaging your roots and scalp with this can lessen dryness.
- You can also opt for a shampoo and conditioner that contains eucalyptus oil for hair to get an added dose of its benefits while also using the oil in DIY treatments.
- It is affected by heat and light, so store your eucalyptus oil for hair bottle in a cool, dark place.
- To lessen greying of hair, experts recommend combining a few drops of eucalyptus oil for hair along with clove oil in a carrier oil, and massaging your scalp with this blend twice a week to reduce premature greying of hair. You can also try a popular home remedy of mixing amla with eucalyptus oil for hair and leaving this mixture overnight on your roots after massaging it in. Wash it off the next morning with shampoo followed by conditioner.
From longer, glossier, and thicker hair to glowing, radiant skin, what’s not to love about eucalyptus oil for hair? Nilgiri oil benefits for hair are powerful indeed, and eucalyptus oil for hair is one product that you must add to your beauty cabinet.