How essential oils improve your hair health
Find out about the benefits of essential oils for hair. Discover how different varieties of essential oils can contribute in different ways to your health.
Essential oils are one of the healthiest ways to trigger good hair growth. These oils are made by distilling them from the plant source and are therefore very pure and concentrated. They therefore need to be diluted with some carrier oil before being applied to the skin. Not only do they contribute to the growth of robust hair they also add to its shine and gloss. Different types of essential oils can help to the development of your tresses in different ways. While some help fight various infections and provide a protective layer to your scalp, some have fragrant properties that give you a soothing feeling.
Benefits of Essential Oils of Hair Growth
There are multiple benefits that varieties of essential oils can have on your hair. Experts recommend essential oils for hair growth and thickness. They are so concentrated that a few drops will suffice and they should always be diluted with a carrier oil of your choice. For providing nourishment, hot oil for hair is a good option. The following are some of the benefits of essential oils:
- They soothe and moisturize the scalp and remove dryness
- They stimulate the scalp and augment hair growth
- They add shine and softness to the hair and add fragrance
- They help make hair strong and robust
- They add nutrients to the hair to help fight dandruff and infections
- They clean and exfoliate the scalp, prevent clogging of hair follicles and help protect against harmful microbes
They stimulate the roots and augment circulation in the scalp
Best Essential Oils for Hair
There are quite a few essential oils that you can use that have significant benefits for hair. Let’s take a look at some of them.
- Lavender essential oil: The oil is very potent in improving blood circulation and helps in the development of strong and robust strands. It has a very nice aroma and produces a very soothing effect when applied on the hair. This also has the added effect of calming your mind and is suggested by doctors when one is going through a period of stress as the best essential oil for hair. Stress also results in thinning hair and hence the application of lavender oil results in stopping hair fall. Add a couple of drops of lavender oil to coconut oil and prepare a mix. Put this on your hair and scalp and leave it for an hour. Wash it with a mild shampoo afterwards.
- Rosemary essential oil: This is a very good option if you are interested in improving hair thickness and growth at the same time. It is very useful in restoring and repairing hair tissue and is therefore frequently used in many hair growth treatments. 5 drops of rosemary oil on your scalp after a bath should do your hair a world of good. Doctors suggest rosemary essential oil for hair fall. Alternatively, you could boil some rosemary leaves in clear water and let it remain for 7 hours before using the concentrate to wash your hair. It is used in improving the circulation of blood in the scalp and has good anti-inflammatory properties. This is also a good oil for grey hair.
Add a number of drops of rosemary essential oil to olive or coconut oil. Apply it to your hair and scalp and wash after 10 minutes with a mild shampoo. This mix can also be added to your shampoo and conditioner to derive good benefits. Experts recommend rosemary oil for hair growth.
- Peppermint essential oil: Since this oil belongs to the mint family it produces a tingling sensation and this augments the circulation of blood in the area of its application. This is helpful in the increased hair growth of the hair shafts in the anagen phase. The high concentration of menthol in it helps in dilating blood vessels in the area and this helps increase the flow of blood in that section of the scalp. This is also very useful in reducing the formation of dandruff. The stimulation produced is also very effective in the healthy growth of hair. This is one of the best hair growth oils.
- Jojoba Essential Oil: The presence of many beneficial minerals and vitamins in this oil make it the go-to oil for strengthening hair and enhancing its thickness. Jojoba oil for hair is a proven remedy for preventing hair loss as it has zinc, copper, B vitamins and vitamins C and E among other things.
- Lemongrass Essential Oil: This is very useful in strengthening the hair shafts and stimulating hair growth. The antibacterial and antifungal properties are very effective and provide relief from itchiness in the scalp. It keeps your hair absolutely dirt free with its remarkably potent qualities as an astringent. It is also very potent in helping those with dandruff related issues. Take about 5 drops and massage them into your hair while you are taking your shower. Let this stay for a couple minutes before washing it off with cold water. This is one of the best essential oils for hair growth.
- Thyme Essential Oil: This oil has excellent antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties. It is however the presence of bioflavonoids in it that makes them such a much sought-after oil in the hair care industry as they are an essential nutrient in the growth of hair. Its ability to reduce inflammation helps it facilitate healthy grounds for the faster growth of hair and adds to its popularity as one of the best essential oils for hair.
- Tea Tree Essential Oil: Tea tree oil is very useful in clearing clogged hair follicles and prevents excess oil from gathering in the scalp. It is a good scalp exfoliator and is very effective in removing dead skin cells from the scalp. Tea tree oil is one of the most potent essential oils for hair; it curbs the proliferation of hair product residue and thereby promotes hair growth. Clogged hair follicles do not allow the nutrients to reach the hair roots and this therefore impacts hair growth. This is also very useful in minimising the symptoms associated with scalp eczema.
- Eucalyptus Essential Oil: A lot of people use eucalyptus oil for hair as this oil has significant benefits and is a source of very good nourishment for the scalp. It reduces scalp dryness and associated itchiness. The oil is also useful against any lice in your hair and is also very effective in healing any injury in the scalp. This is one of the recommended essential oils for dry hair.
- Clary Sage Essential Oil: This is a fantastic oil to improve the quality of your hair and gives it great strength. The linalyl acetate present in it facilitates faster hair growth. 3 drops of this mixed with a tablespoon of your favourite carrier oil once a week will go a long way in improving the quality of your tresses.
- Pine Essential Oil: This is a great remedy for dandruff as it has antimicrobial properties that prevent the proliferation of bacteria in the scalp. It also helps curb the build-up of impurities that hamper the nutrients from nourishing the hair follicles. The anti-inflammatory properties help keep itchiness and infections at bay. This is also very effective against lice.
- Cedarwood Essential Oil: this is very effective in promoting hair growth and curbing hair loss by regulating the oil production in the scalp. It also has potent antibacterial and antifungal properties which can treat infections in the scalp. It has been found to be useful in fighting alopecia areata when mixed with rosemary and lavender oils.
- Orange Essential Oil: Orange oil is rich in vitamin C which is also infused in the scalp once you apply it to your hair. This is particularly good for a dry scalp and thinning hair problems. This gives off a fruity fragrance which produces a feeling of freshness. It can be combined with honey to enhance the moisture content in the scalp and restore the pH level of the skin. It also helps maintain the production of the essential natural oils for good hair growth.
- Sweet Basil Essential Oil: This adds life to your strands giving it bounce and freshness. It moisturises your tresses and gives it a feeling of softness. It can reduce hair loss and lead to increased hair growth as it can facilitate augmented sebum production.
- Ylang Essential Oil: this is nothing short of a miracle cure for people with brittle, rough and dry hair and is one of the chosen essential oils for hair. It is very useful in balancing the oil in your scalp and also helps condition it. The oil augments sebum production which enhances the quality of your hair and makes it robust. It also helps remove nits and rice from your hair. When used with a carrier oil, it can remove any trace of fungal infection from your scalp. It also helps remove all impurities in the hair shaft, giving it bounce and volume.
- Cinnamon Essential Oil: This is one of the most potent remedies for dandruff and thinning hair. This is suggested by doctors as one of the best essential oils for dandruff. When used in combination with an appropriate carrier oil it could help in cleansing hair roots and enhance hair growth. It could also be added to your regular shampoo to add lustre to your hair.
- Frankincense Essential Oil: This has a relaxing slightly woody aroma and prevents the scalp from getting dry and flakes from forming by keeping it well moisturised. It provides a soothing effect to the hair follicles to help galvanise growth of the roots. It has impressive anti-inflammatory properties which make it a very effective remedy for scalp issues.
- Patchouli Essential Oil: This is extracted from the patchouli plant by a process of distillation. It has good antibacterial and antifungal properties and this makes it very potent against scalp infections. It is also effective against scalp damage because of its excellent anti-inflammatory and antiseptic qualities.
- Bergamot Essential Oil: Bergamot is popular essentially because of its use in aromatherapy but it could also be used quite potently to act against microbes in your hair. It is a powerful anti-microbial agent and ensures that the scalp remains fertile and productive for good hair growth. Bergamot is one of the recommended essential oils for hair as it acts very effectively on the scalp and is also helpful in curbing existing scalp infections by stopping them from spreading. The chemicals present in your hair products are extremely harmful for your hair and cause clogging of the hair follicles. Bergamot oil prevents that from happening. Since bergamot oil makes your scalp very sensitive it would be advisable to avoid exposure to the sun at least up to 12 hours after you have applied it.
How to Use Essential Oils for Hair
The main thing to remember about essential oils for hair is that they should always be used in their diluted form. The best way to go about it is to use a carrier oil to dilute the essential oil. A patch test on the skin is recommended to find out whether the individual is allergic to the oil or not. One can choose one’s carrier oil based on the quality of hair.
- The people with oily hair should normally use a carrier oil which is lighter like grapeseed oil or sweet almond oil. These oils would help the scalp achieve the right balance
- For dry hair one needs to use a carrier oil like avocado or coconut oil, take 2-3 drops of the essential oil and blend it with a carrier oil of your choice.
Create sections in your hair and apply it in circular motions. Wash your hair after about 4 hours.
Essential oils can be added to your hair spray as well. To make a hair spray first heat a pan of water. When it is hot, switch it off and drop some coconut sugar in it. After the mixture cools down add about 25 drops of your chosen essential into it. Pour it into an appropriate glass container and use this over a period of 3 weeks.
You can also add your essential oil to your shampoo and conditioner.
Are There Any Risks of Using Essential oils?
Though there are numerous advantages of using essential oils on hair there could be a few side effects too. Therefore, it is advisable to take the following precautions before using the essential oils.
- Never use any essential oil in its undiluted form. This is because they are extremely concentrated. They could cause rashes, nausea, hives, dizziness, drop in blood pressure and increase in the heart rate among other things.
- It is always advisable to consult a doctor before deciding to incorporate an essential oil in your hair care regime
- Any indication of any side-effect or any experience that could be described as irregular should lead to discontinuation of its usage. In case the side effects are experienced as a result of topical application it should be washed off with soap and water immediately.
- Essential oils should in most cases be kept away from women and children, unless specifically recommended by the doctor.
While most essential oils are extremely potent and carry a wide range of benefits, it is also very essential to follow the correct procedure in its usage to derive their full advantage. Visit us at Traya and learn more about the qualities of essential oils for hair from our experts, and expedite your journey towards healthy hair.