Many people suffer from dandruff. It is a common scalp condition that causes the skin on the scalp to flake and itch. Although it does not cause serious side effects, it is embarrassing as the skin flakes tend to fall onto clothes. Chronic dandruff causes intense itching, which leads to constant scratching and inflammation.
Dandruff occurs due to the following reasons:
- A dry and cold climate triggers the dryness of the scalp and causes dandruff to flare.
- Oily skin, as well as dry skin, causes dandruff.
- Certain hair care products contain chemicals that irritate the skin on the scalp and cause dandruff.
- Skin conditions, such as psoriasis and eczema, cause dandruff.
- Stress intensifies dandruff by putting the body in a compromised state.
Doctors commonly prescribe mild or medicated shampoos for the treatment of dandruff. Natural ingredients, such as aloe vera gel, are an effective alternative to medical treatments.
Let's take a closer look at aloe vera, known for its dandruff-fighting properties, and ways to use its gel for treating dandruff.
How Does Aloe Vera Work In Fighting Dandruff?
Aloe vera is a succulent with long, fleshy leaves that contain gel. Aloe vera gel is a common remedy for burns, minor wounds, and itchy skin. It hydrates and soothes the skin and provides relief from inflammation.
Aloe vera gel contains 99% water, amino acids, and the following vital nutrients:
- Vitamins A, C, and E: antioxidants that fight free radicals.
- Vitamins B12, folic acid, and choline: help in hair growth
- Minerals such as calcium, selenium, potassium, magnesium, zinc, manganese, chromium, and copper: help hydrate the skin, reduce dryness, and moisturize the scalp.
- Enzymes such as bradykinase: Bradykinase helps in reducing inflammation when applied to the skin.
- Fatty acids: have anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, and analgesic (pain relieving) properties.
- Salicylic acid: has anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties.
- Hormones, such as auxins, gibberellins, and lupeol: have anti-inflammatory and wound-healing properties.
These vital nutrients make aloe vera gel a powerful remedy for dandruff. Studies show how aloe vera treats dandruff by reducing itchiness and scaliness and shows a marked improvement in the symptoms when used consistently.
What Are The Benefits Of Using Aloe Vera For Dandruff?
Aloe vera gel benefits hair and scalp health in the following ways:
- Moisturizes Dry Skin: It hydrates the skin on the scalp, moisturizes it, and prevents dryness.
- Reduces Irritation: The anti-inflammatory properties of aloe vera gel reduce irritation. The antiseptic properties heal the wounds caused due to inflammation.
- Prevent Cell Damage: The antioxidant properties of aloe vera gel discourage bacterial growth and prevent cell damage.
- Reduce Inflammation: The enzymes in aloe vera gel reduce inflammation and soothe the scalp.
How To Use Aloe Vera To Treat Dandruff?
If you wonder how to use aloe vera for hair fall and dandruff, do not worry. We bring you some of the easiest ways to make DIY aloe vera hair masks for the same.
If you have an aloe vera plant at home, you can pluck a leaf and remove its gel for use. Follow these simple steps to collect the gel:
- Pluck a leaf from the plant using a sharp knife
- Hold the leaf or place it in a bowl upright and allow the liquid to drip into the bowl
- Finally, with a spoon or a knife, scoop out the gel off the leaf
- You can refrigerate the gel for up to a week
- Alternatively, you may freeze it to last longer
You may apply the aloe vera gel 30 minutes before a hair wash. Rinse the hair with a mild shampoo to cleanse the scalp. Alternatively, using the gel after a hair wash will help condition the hair. Regular application of aloe vera gel, twice or thrice a week, will help improve your scalp health and reduce dandruff.
To make aloe vera hair mask for dandruff, follow these simple recipes:
1) Aloe Vera Gel And Coconut Oil Hair Mask
Coconut oil moisturizes the scalp, reduces itching, and strengthens the hair. Its antimicrobial properties help treat dandruff effectively. It makes an ideal hair mask with aloe vera for dandruff, as it reduces flakiness and itchiness. Extra virgin coconut oil is even better for this purpose, as it works wonders for your hair and scalp health. Its fatty acids and vitamins D and K nourish the scalp and improve scalp health.
It is an easy-to-make hair mask that requires:
Coconut oil: 1 cup
Aloe vera gel: 2 tbsp
Mix the two ingredients and gently apply the mixture to the scalp. Leave it on for a few hours. Rinse off with lukewarm water.
2) Aloe Vera And Lemon Juice Hair Mask
Lemon juice is known to treat dandruff. However, its acidic nature may irritate the scalp. Aloe vera gel is an ideal ingredient that balances the acidic nature of lemon juice and treats dandruff without irritating the scalp. To prepare this hair mask, you need:
Lemon juice: 2 tbsp
Aloe vera gel: Half cup
Mix the two ingredients in a bowl and apply the mixture to the scalp and hair. Leave it on for 20--25 minutes. Rinse with lukewarm water.
3) Aloe Vera Gel, Curd, And Olive Oil Hair Pack
Curd is an effective remedy for dandruff. It is also a great hair conditioner. Olive oil is rich in emollients that are known for their softening qualities. It moisturizes the hair, softens it, and strengthens the hair by penetrating the hair shaft.
The goodness of curd and olive oil make this hair pack an ideal solution for an itchy scalp and brittle hair. To prepare this hair mask, you need:
Olive oil: 1 tsp
Curd: 1 cup
Aloe vera gel: 2 tbsp
Mix the ingredients in a bowl and apply the mixture to the scalp and hair. Leave it on for 30 minutes. Rinse with lukewarm water.
What Are The Side Effects Of Aloe Vera On Hair?
Aloe vera gel is safe for topical application and rarely has side effects. However, before using the gel on the scalp, you must take a patch test to ensure you are not allergic to it.
Apply a little gel to the inside of your wrist and observe the area for any redness, itching, or burning. If you experience any of these, avoid applying it to your scalp, as that may irritate your skin and aggravate the situation.
Consult with your doctor before using aloe vera gel for dandruff, as it interacts with the following drugs:
- Drugs that treat diabetes
- Drugs that treat heart problems
- Furosemide, which is used for treating water retention
- Hydrocortisone and other steroids
Aloe vera gel is a natural remedy for dandruff. It is safe to use on skin or the scalp. Its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties moisturize the scalp, heal inflammation, and reduce the symptoms of dandruff. The vital nutrients in aloe vera gel soothe the scalp, nourish it, and reduce itchiness and flaking of the skin. Regular application of aloe vera gel and other natural ingredients helps reduce dandruff and improve scalp health. However, please consult your doctor before applying the gel or if you don't find any improvement.