Argan oil provides hydration and nourishment. This makes argan oil very useful for the hair in a variety of applications. It can be used to improve the health of your scalp and promote hair growth, making it a very beneficial remedy for hair loss. Read in to know more about Argan Oil, its benefits, and how you can use it.
What Is Argan Oil?
The argan tree is native to parts of Morocco and Algeria and can grow eight to ten meters tall. The leaves are small and oval. The flowers are small with pale green-yellow petals and mostly come out in April. The fruit of the argan tree has a thick bitter peel and a pulp surrounding a very hard nut. These nuts contain one or two seeds which are used to derive argan oil.
Pure argan oil is directly derived from the seeds and is used in its pure form. Argan oil has been used in Moroccan kitchens for cooking for centuries. It has also been used as a health remedy in the native regions for centuries. Today, argan oil has found its way to many hair care and skincare products. It has a range of benefits for the skin, hair, and nails due to its nourishing properties.
Is argan oil good for hair? In this section, we will look at the benefits of using argan oil for hair. The benefits of argan oil are due to the nutrients it contains. Argan oil is rich in antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals. Argan oil is also rich in essential fatty acids and vitamin E which makes it an excellent remedy to restore the shine and elasticity of your hair and add life to dull hair. If you are looking for softer and more manageable hair, argan oil can be a very good option for you.
The antioxidant properties make it useful in neutralizing free radicals and preventing cell damage. Thus, using argan oil can also be useful in treating your hair after the damage that everyday pollution, hot styling tools, and chemical treatments cause to the hair. Listed below are some top argan oil uses for hair.
Hair growth is a priority for most people today. For nourishing our hair and scalp to promote growth we go for so many expensive products and treatments, most of which employ chemicals that damage the hair. Argan oil is a simple solution for promoting hair growth. It has antioxidant properties that prevent free radical damage and prevent dry skin on the scalp. Massaging your hair with argan oil is very useful and it can also be used in combination with other herbs and ingredients as we will look at in a later section.
The elasticity of your hair is a property that can impact health and manageability. If your hair has elasticity, it will return to its shape after it is stretched, and will not break off easily. If the hair is healthy and well maintained it will exhibit good elasticity. If your hair lacks elasticity, argan oil can surely help you out. Argan oil has fatty acids that will moisturize your hair and will provide lubrication.
Moisturizing and conditioning are the most treasured argan oil benefits for hair. This makes argan oil a key ingredient in many conditioners that help you to deal with dry and frizzy or brittle hair. Most of the shampoos that we use today have chemicals that damage the hair. The action of the shampoo itself strips the hair of its natural moisture and oil. Thus, conditioning after shampooing is extremely essential. Argan oil can be used as a leave-in conditioner or argan oil-based conditioners can be used after shampooing.
The scalp is the site of hair growth. It is the place where the hair follicle is rooted and where the nutrients are supplied to the hair follicle. Thus, it is very important that we maintain the health of the scalp. Often the scalp can suffer from dryness. Other times, it may be impacted by excess oil and dandruff. Argan oil can help improve the health of the scalp.
Argan oil has anti-inflammatory properties. This is beneficial in keeping the scalp infection free and reducing inflammation in the scalp. Argan oil has vitamin E and essential fatty acids that act as antioxidants. This also protects the scalp and prevents free radical damage. Using argan oil for hair also provides a layer of fat on the scalp that increases shine.
Argan oil is also very beneficial in regulating sebum production. Excess secretion of sebum is one of the reasons for dandruff. Thus, using argan oil can prevent dandruff, reduce scalp itchiness caused due to excess oil, heal scalp wounds, and keep it clean. Argan oil has also shown antifungal properties that help it attack directly, the fungus on the scalp that causes dandruff.
Argan oil is rich in vitamin E that promotes hair growth. The antioxidants and fatty acids found in argan oil provide nourishment, help maintain moisture in the hair, and prevent cell damage caused due to free radicals. Thus, you can use argan oil for hair fall and hair breakage prevention. However, there needs to be more studies conducted in this regard as clinical evidence of argan directly reducing hair fall is limited. Although, there are many anecdotal evidences.
Hairstyling and colouring are extremely common today. Heat styling has become a part of the daily routine for so many people. All these approaches damage the hair seriously. The hair from blow-dryers and straighteners damage the hair and make it brittle. Brittle hair is more prone to breakage. Similarly, processes such as hair colouring using chemical dyes also damages the hair considerably.
Argan oil is rich in essential fatty acids that make a protective fatty layer around the scalp and hair. This prevents the hair and scalp from the damage caused due to heat styling, hair colouring, this oil layer also prevents the formation of split ends making your hair healthier and thicker.
We use sunscreen for our skin before stepping out in the sun, but the hair is often neglected. The fact that sun damage also happens to the hair is often ignored. Argan oil can help you in protecting your hair from UV sun damage. The antioxidants present in argan oil protect the skin and the hair against free radical’s damage from the sun. It is due to this reason that sun protection is one of the traditional uses of argan oil in the places to which the plant is native.
Argan oil benefits are not just limited to the hair, the oil is extremely useful for the skin as well. Here, we list some of the main benefits of the argan oil for the skin -
- Protects the skin against sun damage.
- Is useful in treating infections on the skin due to its anti-inflammatory properties.
- Helps the wounds heal faster.
- Moisturizes the skin.
- Can be used to prevent stretch marks.
- May help in treating acne.
- May help in reducing signs of ageing.
In addition to the skin and hair benefits, there are many other benefits of argan oil. However, more research is needed to study each of these benefits, and how it can be used to treat the condition -
- May boost heart conditions. The fatty acids in argan oil reduce the risk of heart diseases.
- May also be beneficial in diabetes.
- Argan oil may have anti-cancer effects and could be useful in treating breast and colon cancer.
Best Argan Oil for Hair
There are many options of argan oil for hair available in the market. Due to overwhelming options, sometimes making the right choice can get difficult. In this section, we look at how you can choose the best argan oil from the range of available options. This is very easy as we will look further.
If you decide to use Argan oil for your hair or skin, it is extremely important to keep in mind that the oil is pure and of good quality. Pure oil may cost a little extra, but given the benefits, it will surely be worth your investment. You must use 100% pure argan oil for hair to reap full benefits. You can easily make the best choice by looking at the packaging, colour, and smell. When you are shopping for argan oil, look for the below -
- Composition - Always buy 100% pure argan oil. Do not buy argan oil that is mixed with other herbal oils. The benefits of argan oil can be taken best when it is used in purity.
- Packaging - Make sure that the oil is labelled for cosmetic use and is packed in a dark coloured glass bottle.
- Colour – Pure argan oil has a golden yellow hue. If the colour is pale, other oils could have been mixed or the argan oil might have been filtered. You must avoid this kind as it is not beneficial for the hair and the benefits that you are looking for from argan oil, might not be delivered 100%.
- Texture – pure argan oil is smooth and not watery. Make sure to check the texture if you can before you buy.
- Scent – Pure argan oil always has a nutty smell. If it has a strong and rancid smell, avoid it.
How to Use Argan Oil for Hair
Today, argan oil is also an important ingredient in many hair products and shampoos. You can use argan oil in a variety of preparations. Argan oil can be applied directly, as well as be used as an ingredient in hair masks. You can also use argan oil for styling as well as for protection from heat styling. While nourishing the hair is one of the most important applications of argan oil, it also protects from heat damage.
Continued usage of argan oil for hair will make your hair stronger, softer, frizz-free and your scalp clean, protected and dandruff free.
Here we look at how to use Argan oil for hair. The methods described here are all very easy and can be done at home without any help. First, we look at the ways in which the argan oil’s nutrition is provided to the hair directly – through an oil only mask and then through a wholesome hair pack which also packs the goodness of argan oil. After that, we will look at the applied use of argan oil and how it can be used as a styling product and as a protective agent against heat styling. Later, we look at how the argan oil can also be used as a leave-in conditioner and be used with shampoo for washing hair. We suggest that you go for each of these applications – massage, pack, shampoo and conditioner. With continuous usage within no time, you will see the hair getting rejuvenated from the inside.
Doing an argan oil hair treatment at home is very easy. Make sure that you are using pure argan oil. If you want you can combine it with another oil such as coconut oil or castor oil. If you have damaged hair, this mask is the best for you. The vitamin E and fatty acids in the argan oil will smooth your hair and make it strong. It will also heal the scalp and heal dry skin.
- Take eight to ten drops of argan oil in your palms.
- Massage the hair and the scalp for ten to fifteen minutes. Make sure that the hair is covered from the roots to the tips. You can comb through the hair to distribute the oil evenly and let it penetrate each part of your hair.
- If you have split ends, apply a little more oil to the ends of your hair.
- Wrap a towel or put on a shower cap. This will retain heat and enable deep conditioning of the hair.
- You can leave this overnight or for at least half an hour.
- Wash your hair the next morning or after half an hour. Use conditioner after shampooing.
- You can do this once a week or as needed.
It is best if you leave this mask overnight as that will give your better results. Over time the argan oil will soften your hair and encourage hair growth, replenishing and revitalizing the hair.
This hair pack will provide you with all the benefits of argan oil. It will rejuvenate your hair and make it stronger.
- Mix two tablespoons each of argan oil, apple cider vinegar, honey, and four tablespoons each of virgin olive oil and Epsom salt in a bowl.
- Whisk all the ingredients together till the consistency is achieved.
- To this blend add three to four drops of an essential oil of your choice.
- Stir and mix all the things well.
- Apply this to your scalp and hair and let it sit for about half an hour.
- Later, wash normally using herbal shampoo.
- Follow shampooing by conditioning.
This hair pack can be applied one to two times a month for the best results.
Argan oil can be used to style your hair. It tones down the frizz and makes the hair more manageable and smoother. In addition to this, argan oil protects the hair and scalp against damage from heat styling. The oil also provides an excellent shine to the hair.
- Take three to four drops of argan hair on your palms.
- Rub the palms together to warm up the oil a little. This will make the oil easier to distribute itself all around and penetrate the hair well.
- Apply the oil lightly to clean and dry hair. Do not massage the scalp and keep the oil coat on the hair surface light.
- Style as you usually do.
Using argan oil before styling will make the hair shiny, smooth as well as protected.
Argan oil is an ingredient in many shampoos that you can buy. However, making one at home is also very easy. In this manner, the hair gets the benefits of argan oil, making it stronger and moisturized, especially when the shampooing action is stripping the hair of its moisture and oils.
- To the usual amount of the shampoo that you regularly use, add one to two drops of argan oil.
- Mix the shampoo and the oil.
- Wash your hair as usual.
- You can do this every time you shampoo, the frequency of which will depend on your hair type and other environmental factors.
Using argan oil directly with shampoo is more beneficial for the hair as compared to using an argan oil-based shampoo.
You can also use argan oil as a leave-in conditioner instead of your usual conditioner. This will reduce the hair breakage caused by combing after washing and further styling during the day.
- Wash your hair normally with the shampoo that you prefer.
- Dry the hair with a towel.
- Take two to three drops of argan oil on your palms. Rub the palms together to warm the oil a bit.
- Run through the damp hair. You can also massage the scalp a little.
- Dry your hair, as usual, style as usual.
- This can be repeated one to two times a week.
You can start by replacing your regular conditioner with argan oil for one wash every week and see the effects.
Argan oil for hair delivers wholesome benefits. Along with conditioning and nourishing the hair and the scalp, it also protects against damage. The anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties prevent cell damage, heal wounds and keep the hair and the scalp strong and clean. Here we have looked at the major benefits of using argan oil for hair. You must have also noticed that it is very easy to use argan oil. Whether it be an oil mask or as a styling and protective agent, the usage is very convenient and hassle-free.
You now also know how to choose the best argan oil for hair based on the packaging information, colour and scent. We suggest that you start using argan oil for hair and make it a part of your hair care routine. The argan oil will provide you with shiny and clean hair that is strong and resistant to damage as well.