Uses, Benefits & Side Effects of “Yashtimadhu” (Mulethi Powder)
The botanical name of Yashtimadhu is Glycyrrhiza glabra while the common name is Yashtimadhu powder. Additionally, in Hindi, it is known as Mulethi powder.This one of the effective medicine for cold in India may contain flavones, biotin, calcium, iron, phenol etc. Additionally, these beneficial herbal supplements for digestion and constipation also may consist of mannitol, sterol, tannins, zinc, magnesium, etc. to support healthy living. Moreover, this Yashtimadhu powder may exert adaptogenic, antacid, cooling, nootropic, immunity boosting, etc.The natural Yashtimadhu powder is considered to possess anti-inflammatory, anti-oxidant, anti-obesogenic, analgesic, an anti-depressant to make it a multipurpose herb, which promotes a healthy lifestyle. Yashtimadhu, also known as Yashtimadhu churna is one such classical ayurvedic remedy that has a centuries-long repute of being the ultimate grandma’s remedy for cough and sore throat.
This traditional herb exhibits manifold benefits and is extensively used in several folk remedies and classical ayurvedic formulations to treat respiratory problems, obesity, skin infection, liver disorders, gastric problem, hormonal regulation, general debility, joint pain and many more. The holistic science of Ayurveda terms this root powder as Yashtimadhu. Time and again this herbal root powder has been mentioned in several ayurvedic scriptures and journals for various indications which include
- Deepana (enhances stomach fire)
- Pachana (helps in digestion),
- Rochana (stimulates appetite)
- Anulomana (improves breathing)
- Kashahara (Relieves cough)
- Vamana (prevents nausea and vomiting)
- Vayasthapana (prevents ageing)
- Dahahara (relieves burning sensation)
- Mehahara (treats urinary tract disorders)
- Prameha (manages diabetes)
- Trutahara (relieves excessive thirst)
- Rasayani (rejuvenates the whole body)
- Balya (improves muscle strength)
- Shonitasthapana (prevents bleeding)
- Pandu (treats anaemia)
- Sangrahini (treats diarrhoea)
- Kustha (treats skin disorders)
- Kamala (prevents jaundice)
- Varnya (improves complexion)
- Amahara (treats indigestion)
- Krimihara (relieves intestinal worms)
- Jvara (useful in fever)
- Vrushya (acts as an aphrodisiac)
- Hridaya (treats heart problems)
- Chakushya (treats vision problems)
- Kanthya (improves voice)
- Shwasha (relieves breathing difficulties)
- Arsha (treats piles)
- and Krichra (treats painful micturition).
Benefits of Yashtimadhu Powder:
1. Gastric Problems
This Yashtimadhu powder act as Antacid and may reduce the HCL level in the stomach. Additionally, this one of the effective supplements for digestion and constipation may decrease the acidic irritation. This Yashtimadhu powder may help to relief the acute and chronic gastritis. The potent anti-inflammatory and immune-boosting properties of glycyrrhizic acid help suppress the toxic bacteria Helicobacter pylori and also prevents it from growing in the gut. In the case of food poisoning, stomach ulcer or heartburn, the root powder soothes the stomach lining and restores the balance. Being a natural antacid, it reduces the secretion of hydrochloric acid in the stomach which in turn decreases gastritis due to acidic irritation and peptic mucosa.
2. Stomach Ulcers
This one of the beneficial supplements for digestion and constipation may exert an anti-inflammatory and anti-ulcer properties. However, these properties may help to decrease the inflammation in stomach linings. It also showcases protective effects towards the stomach ulcers. The anti-inflammatory properties hold high significance in treating different types of ulcers like ulcerative colitis, peptic ulcer, canker sores or mouth ulcers etc. The bioactive compound carbenoxolone plays a crucial role in healing mouth and gastric ulcers. It also helps to speed up the healing process in the inflamed mucosal layer and reduce the risk of ulceration.
3. A cough
When it comes to how to reduce a cough and cold, Yashtimadhu powder always comes to rescue. Additionally, this one of the herbal medicine for cold in India may help in relieving the sore through, bronchitis, throat irritation, cough, and other upper respiratory problems. Furthermore, with expectorant properties, it may ease the coughing and may reduce a cough accumulated in the lungs. Moreover, with antibacterial properties, this Yashtimadhu powder may help to reduce the infection of the upper respiratory tract.
4. Asthma and Bronchitis
This one of the trusted herbal medicine for cold in India may attenuate the inflammation of bronchi. Additionally, it may soothe the respiratory tract and this helps is reliving bronchitis. Moreover, it may help to reduce a cough and thus lowers the chest congestion in Asthma patients. It is considered to be a one-shot remedy for all sorts of respiratory troubles. Having powerful anti-inflammatory, anti-biotic, and anti-asthmatic properties, licorice plays a pivotal role in treating the common cold, cough and flu symptoms. It also thins and slackens phlegm deposits within the chest and nasal cavities and hence eases breathing and helps the body to get rid of mucus. It is also beneficial in treating bronchitis and asthmatic conditions. Daily intake of this herb strengthens the lung tissues and enhances lung health.
5. Lipid Level
This one of the trusted herbal supplements for digestion and constipation may reduce the serum lipid level and hepatic lipid level in the body. Additionally, this herbal and Ayurvedic medicine for cold in India may convert the lipids in bile to help in promoting healthy weight management. Touted as a rejuvenative cardio-tonic root, this ayurvedic herb efficiently diminishes the levels of bad cholesterol and triglycerides in the body, prevents the deposition of plaque in the blood vessels and also deters atherosclerosis (i.e. formation of hardened arteries due to deposition of debris), thus reducing risks of heart blocks, strokes and heart attacks.
6. DiabetesThe licorice root powder contains a potent phytoestrogenic compound called glabridin which not only imparts the sweet taste to the root but also plays a crucial role in assuaging the blood sugar levels of the body. The production of insulin from the β-pancreatic cells becomes active in the consumption of Yashtimadhu powder. Adequate dosage of the powder also helps to reduce the breakdown of starch into glucose and hence manage diabetes.
7. Regulation of HormoneIt is one such ayurvedic herb that is known for its influence on the adrenal glands. The phytoestrogenic bio-active substances is also extremely beneficial in keeping the hormonal balance, battling menstrual cramps, and providing relief from mood swings, hot flashes, depression, insomnia, sweating etc during the menstrual cycle. Prescribed Yashtimadhu powder even helps new mom to regulate the hormones and increase the production and secretion of breast milk.
8. Boosting ImmunityThe enchanting ayurvedic herb holds high worth in improving the general stamina and energy level of the body. The bio-active ingredients in Yashtimadhu reduce general debility, weakness and fatigue and improve the vitality of the body. The anti-microbial property of Yashtimadhu helps to bolster immunity and shields the body from various microbial infections. It also improves the function of the liver, kidney and adrenal glands which in turn helps in reducing the stress levels.
9. Hair & Skin AugementationYashtimadhu powder plays a crucial role in promoting hair growth. It effectively increases blood circulation in the scalp and hair follicles, which in turn enriches the roots by bringing in more nutrients through the blood supply and help new hair growth. Ayurveda strongly suggests that the regular intake of Yashtimadhu not only cures baldness but also prevents premature greying, sudden hair fall and different types of scalp infections. A powerhouse of antioxidants and healthful nutrients, this rejuvenative herb acts as a key player in treating various skin issues. It efficiently scavenges free oxygen radicals from the body and diminishes oxidative damage. Being a vata-pitta pacifier, it flushes out the AMA toxins from the internal layers of the skin, promotes overall skin health and treats various skin infections like eczema, acne, pimples, rashes, boils, etc. When used in the form of cleanser, toner or spot correcting gels, it reduces hyperpigmentation and dark circles to leave behind a spotless glowing skin. Yashtimadhu can be used in several ways for uplifting skin health.
10. LiverImbued with anti-inflammatory properties, Yashtimadhu hold high significance in treating liver anomalies like non-alcoholic fatty liver disease, liver damage, hepatitis and jaundice. It also helps in soothing the liver and and promotes liver functions. Have a cup of Yashtimadhu tea every morning to purify the liver and fortify it against infections.
11. Weight ManagementYashtimadhu root is considered to be an extremely effective remedy or weight loss, including licorice root in your diet, along with rigors exercise routine will help in burning excess fat from your body.
12. Seminal Weakness
However, Yashtimadhu is not recommended in people with loss of libido, but it can help in men suffering with early discharge or seminal weakness. Generally, hyper-excitement or hypersensitivity is a cause of early discharge in men. It reduces excessive excitement and thus helps in treating early discharge problems in men. Sometimes, mind plays a role in early discharge in which Yashtimadhu is also effective.
Some HELPFUL Tips:
1. Yashtimadhu Tea:
1 piece of Yashtimadhu root, 1 tsp grated ginger, 2 tsp of tea leaves of choice, 1 tbsp milk, Sugar as per taste
Boil water in a large pan. Add the piece of Yashtimadhu root and ginger to it. Simmer it for 5 minutes. Add the tea leaves and again simmer for 5 minutes.
Add milk and sugar as taste. Boil it for a minute and filter the tea. Enjoy a cup of tasty Yashtimadhu chai.
2. Yashtimadhu Powder At Home:
20 parts of fresh Yashtimadhu roots
Cut the fresh roots from the Yashtimadhu plant. Wash them properly with water to remove soil and other impurities. Cut the roots into pieces and allow it to dry under direct sunlight. Keep it under the sun for a week or so until there is no moisture left. Ground the dried root in a grinder till it becomes a fine powder. Air-dry the powder to remove any extra moisture. Pass it through sieve no.100 to remove fine impurities. Store it in cool places in airtight containers for future use.
3. Yashtimadhu Water:
1tbsp Yashtimadhu powder, Pinch of lemon juice
Warm a glass of water. Soak the Yashtimadhu powder the Yashtimadhu powder in it overnight. Next morning, warm the Yashtimadhu-infused water again. Add a pinch of lemon juice for taste. Have it in an empty stomach.
Precaution & Word of Advice:
Although this magical root, is a remedy for all health anomalies, it is not suggested to be taken on a regular basis unless recommended by the doctor. Without proper consultation, overdosage of Yashtimadhu powder may cause bloating or water retention in the body by reducing potassium and spiking sodium levels in the body. Excessive intake of this powder can even lead to hyper-mineralocorticoidism, which in turn causes moderate hypertension and hypertensive encephalopathy. It is strictly advised not to take Yashtimadhu powder during pregnancy or breastfeeding without doctor’s knowledge as it can cause preterm delivery in pregnant women and can lead to abnormal allergic effects in the new-born baby as the medicine may get secreted through breast milk.
- High blood pressure
- Low potassium in the blood
- High sodium levels
- Fluid retention
- Regular intake of mulethi may result in moderate hypertension and hypertensive encephalopathy.
However these effects are temporary and they disappear after Yashtimadhu (Mulethi) withdrawal within three weeks.
Yashtimadhu is a classical herbal remedy blessed with umpteen health benefits. It holds high significance in treating indigestion, ulcers, cardiac problems, respiratory issues, liver damages, and several skin and hair woes. The widespread health benefits of mulethi are extremely beneficial in providing relief from sore throat and congestion. If taken in the proper dosage, one can steer clear of the side effects and enjoy the countless wellness incentives.
Popular ArticlesYoga for Hair Growth | Sesame Oil For Hair | Neem Oil For Hair | Lice In Hair | Brahmi For Hair | Asparagus Racemosus | Brahmi Leaf | Brahmi Oil | Eclipta Alba | Shatavari For Men | Black Pepper Benefits | Black Pepper For Hair | Cardamom Benefits | Black Pepper | Black Cardamom | Keratin Treatment | Keratin | Green Cardamom | Grape Seed Extract | Virgin Coconut Oil |
Buy Multivitamin Tablet | Buy Hair Fall Tablets | Buy Herbal Tablets | Buy Minoxidil 5% | Buy Herbal Hair Oil | Buy Hair Fall Shampoo | Buy Anti Dandruff Shampoo | Buy Hair Root Serum | Buy Digestion Tablets | Buy Shatavari Ghrita | Buy Minoxidil 2% |