Keratin - An Important Guide to Know
Keratin hair treatment is typically referred to as a famous hair straightening procedure in which curly or frizzy hair is smoothed and straightened out through a chemical cocktail called Keratin protein. Although there is lots of talk about this, not a lot of people know much about it. Hair salons have started to promote this as a go-to treatment. It's seen as an excellent solution for frizzy, dry hair that is prone to severe breakage and hair loss.
Who doesn’t love shiny manes that look glossy and shiny? Humid weather and harsh sun rays can turn your smooth hair into an unattainable dream. And that is how you are introduced to this Protein treatment called – Keratin. So, before you consider sitting in a salon seat to have this done, find out what it is? What can it offer you?
In this post, you will learn:
- What is Keratin?
- How can Keratin Products help in hair growth?
- What food contains Keratin?
- What are the types of Keratin?
- Benefits of Keratin
- How to prepare for the keratin treatment?
- How does keratin help in smoothing hair?
- Who can take Keratin treatment?
- Is keratin good for hair?
- Method to use keratin on the hair
- Precautions to take after taking a Keratin treatment
- The duration of the process
- How much does Keratin treatment cost?
- Can I do Keratin hair treatment at home?
- How to Maintain Keratin – Treated hair?
- Is Keratin different from Straightening and rebonding?
- Can Keratin Thicken your hair?
- What to expect during the treatment?
- Keratin Supplements
- What are some of the Keratin-based products available?
- Side effects of Keratin
- Final Takeaway
What is Keratin?
There is a protein called Keratin that is found in nails, teeth, and skin. It occurs 91% naturally, and when too many chemical products or hair styling products are treated, the amount of keratin reduces. As a result, you might notice your hair very dry, coarse, and lose out of its natural shine and gloss. To remedy this, keratin for damaged hair treatments is the solution. The treatment adds a layer of protein, thus strengthening them and making them controllable.
How can Keratin Products help in hair growth?
Keratin is the essential compound for hair growth; it can be consumed by a balanced meal or by diet. Spinach, eggs, sweet potatoes, etc., are some of the excellent sources that you must include in your diet.
However, getting the right amount of Keratin that helps in hair growth is not that easy if you rely on only the foods. To make it simple, Keratin when it is mixed with minerals and vitamins such as B, C, Zinc, and sulfur.
One easy way to offer essential nutrients and protein to your hair is to use keratin-based products and treatments. These supplements and products can restore the protein to your hair and protect it from damage while making it lustrous.
What food contains Keratin?
- Red meat
- Curd or Yogurt
What are types of keratin?
Before trying keratin hair treatment, it is essential to know which one to go for. There are 2 types of Keratin treatments out there.
- Brazilian blowout - It can straighten your hair texture and can stay up to three months.
- Smoothing Keratin treatment – They de-frizz the hair and adds glossy, but your hair texture will not be changed. As these never formaldehyde in the technique, their effects last up to six months. This treatment is preferred if you don’t want to change your curls but just go smoothing treatments. However, if you wish to have a straighter look, then Brazilian blowout is your thing.
This treatment is only done by a professional stylist, and it can replenish your hair with high concentrations of protein throughout the hair structure and is locked with the cortex to repair the damage.
What are the benefits of Keratin treatment?
If you want to get plant keratin for hair, you will experience some of the following benefits;
- Easy to manage and shinier hair
- Your hair looks fuller and glossy
- It can make your hair less frizzy and manageable
- You get silky straight hair and can be easily styled
- Your hair is protected from harmful rays of the sun and other environmental damages.
- Because of the protein, your hair looks less prone to damage and breakage
- It cuts down on styling and blows–drying time to a great extent.
- Imparts a voluminous look
Smoothing Keratin treatment is great for those with frizzy hair and an excellent option for other straightening treatments like relaxers. As Keratin treatments fill in the porous gap in the hair strands, they can smooth out your hair completely and keep frizz at bay.
How to prepare for the keratin treatment?
There are a few things that you must consider before getting the treatment.
- Keratin treatments are best suited for peeps with curly and dry hair. If you have straight or fine hair, you can skip this treatment.
- Before opting for this treatment, consult a stylist, as your stylist will offer you the right solution for your hair. Keratin treatment is not for all as different hair needs different treatment, and thus it's essential to speak to a stylist.
- Update yourself before preferring the treatment.
How does keratin help in smoothing hair?
Keratin hair treatment can make your hair smooth and more manageable. It is great after a color service, as it can seal in your color and add volume and shine. This treatment suits both men and women; it can help your unruly hair, helping to reduce the styling time in half.
Who can take Keratin treatment?
Keratin hair treatment is not for all. If you have frizzy and coarse hair then prefer this treatment to tame your frizzy hair and soften it for easier and quicker styling. If you are the one who doesn’t love curls, then keratin is strongly suggested.
Is Keratin good for hair?
As mentioned, Keratin treatment is a chemical process on hair to get shiny and straight hair that's frizzy. It is an effective method for loosening the tight curls. Keratin treatment can last up to 6 months. However, you cannot deny the fact that the treatment uses high heat on the hair. So, who is it actually for? If you are someone who loves and uses a lot of heat styling regularly. Then this treatment is an excellent option for you.
Method to use keratin on the hair
First things first, you must have ample time in hand whenever you prefer to take this treatment as it’s a time-consuming process.
The expert will wash your hair.
Next, the hairstylist will blow dry your hair.
- A keratin solution will be applied then.
- It will be allowed to rest for some time.
- Your hair will be blow-dried again.
- To seal the protein solution, a flat iron is used.
Precautions to take after taking a Keratin treatment
Here are few precautions that you must take after undergoing the treatment.
- You should not wash your hair for at least 2 days after the treatment. But you can prefer a dry shampoo for your hair.
- Never tie your hair for the next 48 hours after the treatment. Also, be careful about the sleeping position.
- Prefer a sulfate-free shampoo for your hair
- Never use any styling products for a few days.
- Use only hair care products that are crafted for keratin-treated hair. You can ask your hairstylist to suggest hair care products. If you are looking for such products, try Traya products.
The duration of the process
Keratin protein hair treatment might take 3 to 4 hours, depending on the type and length of your hair.
How much does Keratin treatment cost?
The cost of Keratin treatment depends on the hair length, type, and salon you choose. This treatment might cost around Rs 5000 to 8000, excluding the follow-up sessions.
Can I do Keratin hair treatment at home?
Yes, a homemade keratin treatment is possible. However, it will not be as effective as the one performed in salons. These days, you have a plethora of hair care products like shampoos, hair creams, sprays, and masques with keratin. Some of the brands you can try are Traya Products, Marc Anthony, and more.
How to Maintain Keratin – Treated hair?
With any treatment come specific dos and don’ts and this treatment is no different.
- Use DIY hair masks to keep your hair silky straight and smooth.
- Try Keratin-based products to maintain your keratin-treated hair.
Is Keratin different from Straightening and rebonding?
Rebonding and hair straightening are different treatments, and their results differ a lot. Keratin aims to smoothen your hair, relax and make them controllable. You will have soft curls, and it never looks poker straight. Contrary to the hair straightening and rebonding, the chemical composition of the hair makes it super straight.
Can Keratin Thicken your hair?
Keratin hair treatment can strengthen and repair your hair by covering the shafts. It can make your hair less prone to hair fall and breakage. As the treatment can reduce the hair fall, your hair feels much stronger, and you might notice your hair thick, which might be necessarily true.
What to expect during the treatment?
- Your hairstylist will shampoo your hair twice with a clarifying shampoo to make sure the hair is well clean and does not have any residue, and ready to take all the product.
- Keratin solution is then applied to the wet hair.
- The length of the treatment depends on the formula being used and the type of your hair, texture, and volume.
- The final step is the hair shape – first a blow dry and then flatiron.
The Keratin protein has 18 amino acids, with its main ingredient being cysteine – high in sulfur amino acid. According to studies, sulfur helps in the hair growth cycle in skin, nails, and hair. This can also work as an antioxidant, fighting cell-damaging free radicals.
What are some of the Keratin-based products available?
Some of the Keratin based products available to repair your damaged mane are;
- Keratin renewal shampoo - This can be an excellent option, which can add bounce to your hair. These products are infused with keratin that can gently treat your hair by softening and strengthening them. The shampoo has had a blend of pro-vitamin B5 that can reduce frizz and flyaways, and that is common in dull and damaged hair. Offering the right quantity of Keratin to your hair, the shampoos can nourish the scalp and stimulate the hair growth cycle. Also, the shampoo can work wonders for chemically treated hair and color-treated hair as well.
- Keratin Mask - if you want to rebuild and repair your hair, they try Keratin masks that come with essential nutrients and Keratin protein to rebuild elasticity. This mark is so easy to use and can nourish your hair deeply while also providing intense moisturizing. It offers the required smoothness to your locks and provides an overall feel and look for your hair as the mask has seed oil and other natural ingredients that can help hair resist dryness and heat damage to promote hair health.
- Keratin Hair sprays – this is another excellent way to protect your hair from damage. Keratin hair spray is an excellent option for people who have a tight schedule and never have too much time to follow a hair care routine. Before using any styling tool, spray some of this spray to protect your hair from heat damage. It can get penetrating into the hair follicles and seal the moisture not just in the cortex but also on the surface. Keratin hair sprays can also offer humidity protection from harmful UV rays.
Side effects of Keratin Treatment
Some of the side effects of Keratin treatments are;
- You might be needed to use special keratin shampoo and hair styling products that are suited for your hair type.
- Your hair might look sleek and straight and might appear to lack volume and limp. You might also miss your bouncy mane.
- Your hair might become greasy, oil, and might also be frizzy.
- You will not be able to take a hair wash for a few days after taking the hair treatment.
- The treatment can be a bit expensive, and also the effect might not last for more than 6 months.
- You need to take extra care if you go for a swim as the hair might not come in contact with water.
- The treatment contains formaldehyde which might lead to skin irritation, nausea, and eye irritation.
- This treatment is not for women who are pregnant or breastfeeding.
The final takeaway
Keratin is excellent for those who have dry hair and wish to have a long – term straight, silky hair. If you are in search of bouncing between your straight, curly hair, this might not be the choice for you.
- Is Keratin treatment great for your hair?
Keratin hair treatments might sound like an immediate fix for your curly mane, but they might burn your pocket in the long term. As the treatment has unsafe levels of cancer-causing chemicals. It can also cause skin allergies and side effects.
- Can the treatment cause hair loss?
Keratin treatments include high-level heat and might cause more hair damage. The treatment can contribute to excess hair shedding the thinning as well.
- What does the hair look like after the treatment?
Keratin hair treatment results in silky smooth hair, which slowly fades out after six months. This treatment is unlike the other hair treatments. You might notice your hair flattened out completely.
4 . Does keratin smell bad?
As keratin products are made of soy which can cause too much dandruff also might smell a bit.
- Does Keratin treatment strip hair color?
Keratin treatment can bind the protein to your hair, offering it a protective layer. It can stop the hair color from fading and escaping. Usually, your hair color can start to fade as soon as you have the treatment done. Over the first few weeks, even permanent dye can easily fade off.
- Can your curl hair with the treatment?
According to the stylist, the treatment can curl your hair after the treatment. The treatments should not reduce your overall hair volume, and your hair remains manageable to your styling touch.
- Can I wash my hair after taking the keratin treatment?
After treatment, care is essential, and it might take 72 hours to wash your hair.
- Can Keratin treatment make your hair visibly soft?
Keratin Hair treatment can smooth your hair cuticle by restoring your lost protein which can enhance its texture and feel. With the hair cuticle smoothened and frizz is gone, your hair looks softer and bouncier.
- Does the treatment need maintenance?
You feel the goodness of hair when your hair is lustrous! Keratin hair treatment can make your mane smooth and straight and thus easy to style. You need not spend hours blow-drying or use expensive hair care products for it to be set and manageable. It can look as healthy and manageable as it is, every day.
Popular ArticlesYoga for Hair Growth | Sesame Oil For Hair | Neem Oil For Hair | Lice In Hair | Brahmi For Hair | Asparagus Racemosus | Brahmi Leaf | Yashtimadhu Uses | Brahmi Oil | Eclipta Alba | Shatavari For Men | Black Pepper Benefits | Black Pepper For Hair | Cardamom Benefits | Black Pepper | Black Cardamom | Keratin Treatment | Green Cardamom | Grape Seed Extract | Virgin Coconut Oil |
Buy Multivitamin Tablet | Buy Hair Fall Tablets | Buy Herbal Tablets | Buy Minoxidil 5% | Buy Herbal Hair Oil | Buy Hair Fall Shampoo | Buy Anti Dandruff Shampoo | Buy Hair Root Serum | Buy Digestion Tablets | Buy Shatavari Ghrita | Buy Minoxidil 2% |