Digestive Enzymes to Maintain a Smooth System
Digestive enzymes are extremely important for a healthy body. They help the body break down foods to facilitate the absorption of essential nutrients. A deficiency of digestive enzymes can lead to a number of gastrointestinal issues. It could even leave you severely undernourished despite following a healthy and balanced diet.
Digestive enzymes break down large food molecules into their building block components. They are classified according to the type of chemical reaction generated and digestive enzymes are categorised as hydrolases.
About Digestive Products
A healthy digestive system can have a big impact on your entire well-being. There are a whole range of products such as digestive enzyme capsules or probiotics that your body needs to ensure optimum digestive functioning and efficient utilisation of nutrients. Amylase, protease, lipase, sucrase are only some of the digestive juices and enzymes, that are produced by the salivary glands, stomach and liver etc.
Raw foods are necessary to produce digestive enzymes but since they form a very insignificant portion of diets today, digestive products are deemed necessary. Moreover, enzyme production lessens with age and the efficacy of the enzymes produced by the body is greatly reduced, necessitating an additional dose of digestive supplements.
Uses of Digestive Products
Digestive enzymes are released by the salivary glands and cells present in the pancreas, stomach and small intestine. These assist in digestion when they are secreted both, in anticipation of eating as well as during the digestive process. A deficiency in the digestive enzymes results in a range of health conditions, particularly those that affect the pancreas because this organ releases several enzymes that are crucial for the digestive process. These deficiencies then need to be corrected with dietary changes or consumption of additional digestive products or supplements.
Individuals with health conditions that impede the secretion of a sufficient amount of enzymes to assist in digestive activities, need to take the help of digestive products. These could be natural enzymes present in whole foods or supplements recommended by a doctor.
A number of fermented vegetables and tropical fruits contain a high percentage of digestive enzymes that accelerate the process of digestion. They are best when consumed raw, as heat tends to reduce their efficacy. Vitamins A, C, D and B are all digestive in nature and essential to your health.
Some of the digestive products that don’t require a prescription include:
- Lactase supplements: These are available as drops or tablets and are normally suggested for people who are lactose intolerant.
- Bromelain: This is a very effective protease from the stem of pineapples. It comes in tablet, capsule or powder form and assists in the digestion of proteins.
- Papain: This papaya extract is very helpful in digesting proteins and the powdered form can be used in tenderising meat.
Digestive products are very useful in the treating problems like:
- Crohn’s disease
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Ulcerative colitis
Research findings indicate that digestive products also have the following health benefits.
- Treat Inflammatory Bowel Disease: They help decrease the inflammation levels and provide relief to those suffering from inflammatory bowel disease. Furthermore, they also cure diarrhoea and abdominal pain.
- Cure Irritable bowel syndrome: They alleviate symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) by reducing cramping, pain and bloating.
- Help in cancer treatment: They reduce symptoms of colorectal cancer and are beneficial to people undergoing cancer treatment.
- Treat Arthritis: Could also be useful in providing relief from osteoarthritic pain as they possess anti-inflammatory properties.
- Cure muscular swelling: They could also aid in muscle healing and reduce swelling and pain from injuries.
Side Effects of Digestive Products
Experts always suggest the use of natural enzymes rather than digestive supplements because there are quite a few side effects associated with them. However, these effects are not very serious, unless taken in very high doses. Some of the common side effects are:
- Stomach pain
- Abdominal cramping
- Swelling of the legs and feet
- Neck pain
- Nasal congestion
- Low blood sugar and high blood sugar
- Abnormal excretion
- Renal cyst
- Fluid in the gallbladder
- Muscle spasm
- Viral infection
If you have antiplatelet activity going on in your body or you’ve been using blood thinners, intake of supplements could increase the possibility of bleeding. Pregnant and lactating women are also advised to seek the help of a doctor, before using these products.
How to Use Digestive Products
They are normally taken with meals so that they can help in digestion. However, it is believed that if they are taken between meals on an empty stomach, they could also help in building immunity, fighting arthritis, mitigate inflammation and enhance liver health, among other things.
Having the digestive products while eating will, on the other hand, make it easier on the small intestine and pancreas.
There is no recommended dosage for digestive products. Digestive products could also be used in combination and their effects have also been varied. A trial-and-error method is suggested wherein the individual can try out the product for a 2-3 week period, before taking a decision on whether to continue with it or not.
How Digestive Products Work
Digestive products can come in various forms including pills, liquids or powders sourced from plants, animals or microbes. Supplements are available OTC as well as on a prescription basis, the latter suggested for people suffering from chronic pancreatic conditions. When the pancreas does not work optimally there is insufficient enzyme production and the body may not absorb the nutrients efficiently as it’s unable to break down the consumed food. This process of malabsorption which could lead to bloating, diarrhoea, flatulence and abdominal cramps, can be prevented with the help of digestive enzyme tablets.
Where to Buy Digestive Products Online
A number of online portals offer digestive products but it is advisable to go to a trusted and recognised source to buy these supplements. It is advisable to ascertain the possible after effects beforehand as a lot of these products do not mention the contents clearly enough to draw a conclusion about their possible results. A number of people also opt to buy antioxidant supplements as they help in digestion and regulate the metabolic cycle. Do get in touch with your doctor for recommendations.
The range of digestive products at Traya are widely considered to be among the best in their categories. The various ingredients used in their products are sourced from the finest raw materials and are guaranteed to add to your tresses and your overall health.
Collection of Best Digestive Products Online at Traya
At Traya, we have the full range of digestive products that are extremely effective in preventing illnesses and promoting the health of the individual. Let’s find out more:
- Hair Ras: This is a very effective remedy for your body as well as your tresses. Hair Ras is made of an ayurvedic pitta-balancing formula and improves the iron levels. This is also one of your effective anti-dandruff products. Ingredients like bhringraj, amalaki, ashwagandha, guduchi and shatavari are used in this potent mix.
- Health Tatva Herbs: These are ayurvedic detox tablets and improve absorption levels in the gut to enhance metabolism. This improves hair growth and contributes to better energy levels and immunity. One should always buy immunity boosters as they keep your system protected from infections. Black pepper, ajwain, guduchi, rock salt, cumin and hing are only some of the ingredients used in this formula.
- Digestion Herbs: These are the best digestive tablets and are a panacea for all your digestion issues. These tablets made of cumin, ginger, long pepper and clove, among other things, can solve all your gut problems. They release good bacteria to help control gut movements and also improve both, hair and skin health. A number of people buy herbal products as they are free from any side effects.
There is a lot of ambiguity regarding the benefits of digestive products and their usage. Let’s find out what they are:
- Are digestive products good for you?
Digestive products are necessary when the body is not producing enough digestive enzymes required to break down the nutrients in the body. Enzyme production reduces with advancing age and the efficacy of the enzymes produced by the body is greatly reduced. However, the dose has to be correct or the individual might have to experience some side effects.
- How do digestive products work?
Digestive products once ingested, take the place of natural enzymes and help in breaking down the foods like carbohydrates, fats and proteins. The nutrients are then distributed through the bloodstream.
Product Table Price List
Products like Gutt Shuddhi from Traya are guaranteed to offer you relief from all your specific ailments and contribute to better metabolism and hair health. Let us take a look at the prices of the products that have helped many in their quest for good hair and body health:
- Hair Ras (120 tablets) – ₹ 450
- Health Tatva Herbs (60 tablets) – ₹ 300
- Digestion Herbs (30 tablets) – ₹ 200
Digestive products tend to become a necessity with age as production of natural enzymes goes down there is also a need to boost their efficacy. A visit to the doctor is necessary as it is important to decide on the right dosage and frequency of use. At Traya, our experts will conduct a detailed analysis of your body condition before prescribing any medication. This will ensure enhanced health and stronger strands.
Dr. Shailendra Chaubey, BAMS
A modern-day Vaidya with 11 years of experience. He is the founder of Dr. Shailendra Healing School that helps patients recover from chronic conditions through the Ayurvedic way of life.