Amla or Indian Gooseberry is a small fruit that’s round and has a bright yellow-green tint. This fruit has an astringent and sour taste but is packed with nutritional goodness. Amla powder is obtained by grinding the leaves of this tree and has been used not just in food, but also in Ayurvedic medicine, as a cure for several types of ailments. The powder is also known to possess anti-inflammatory properties, and hence is used in beauty products as well – both skin and hair. Ayurveda considers amla as a ‘divine medicine or divya aushadhi’ and believes that it can help restore the lustre and health of your ‘crowning glory’ – your hair. Using amla powder for hair is said to make it healthier, shinier, and dark. Some of the benefits of Amla powder for hair are:
Benefits Of Amla Powder In Hair Growth
Accelerates Growth And Thickness
The alkaloids, flavonoids, and amino acids present in amla help to stimulate blood circulation. Blood circulation in turn enhances the absorption of nutrients by hair follicles, which stimulates hair growth. Amla also inhibits 5alpha reductase, which is an enzyme that triggers hair loss occurring through hormonal imbalance. Vitamin C in amla boosts the strength of scalp tissues, while compounds called polyphenols support hair growth. Further, consuming amla also elevates calcium absorption in the body.
Reduces Premature Greying And Combats Inflammation Of The Scalp
One of the top properties of Amla is that it acts as a potent detoxifier, which helps wipe out dead cells and replaces them with fresh new cells. Its antioxidant properties help to counteract free radicals while repairing cells that are damaged. These actions prevent inflammation of the scalp, promote health and longevity of hair, and also help to slow down the ageing process of the body. Vitamin C abundance in amla accelerates the production of melanin in the hair follicles, which significantly reduces premature greying of hair. All of these properties of amla serve as deep nourishment and protection for the hair, giving your pretty locks added shine, luster, and bounce.
Prevents Damage From UV Rays
Amla contains compounds called tannins, which protect the hair from photodamage and damage from heat and UV rays. The keratin in hair binds with tannins, preventing the splitting and breaking of hair. Carotene content in amla boosts hair growth and health.
Prevents Hair Fall
Amla strengthens your hair as well as the follicles, which means no more hair fall and faster hair growth. As the hair strengthens from the roots and stops breaking, it also regains its original color and lustre. Apply amla powder to hair roots and scalp and witness hair growing smoother and shinier.
The vitamin C present in amla tackles dryness and prevents the accumulation of dandruff on your scalp. Amla also has anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties that help provide relief against the itching caused by dandruff.
Amla cleanses the scalp, nourishes it, and makes your hair look shiny. The antioxidants in amla help protect hair from the usual, everyday damage caused by dust, pollution, smoke, hairstyling tools, and other factors. We can’t think of any other remedy that could do all of this, and so effective too.
Boost Hair Volume
Enriched with an array of essential fatty acids and a high level of iron and carotene, Amla strengthens hair follicles. In a way, the usage of amla powder for hair growth is apt since it makes it shiny and voluminous. Amla’s natural conditioning properties also add lustre to your hair and give it a much smoother texture.
Ways Of Using Amla Powder In Hair Care Regime
Amla And Yogurt Hair Mask
A hair-strengthening mask, this amla and yogurt mask will provide nourishment to hair strands from the roots. Take two teaspoons of amla powder and add warm water to it to form a paste. Now add a teaspoon of honey and two teaspoons of yogurt. Mix well and apply on your hair. Let it stay for 30 minutes and wash it off with warm water.
One can use amla powder for promoting hair growth, fighting hair loss, and strengthening hair. Its high iron and carotene content stimulates hair growth.
Amla Hair Growth Mask
To make an effective recipe for improving your hair growth, mix Amla powder with herbs that further enhance and improve your hair growth. The best way to use amla powder for hair growth is to mix herbs like Reetha and Shikakai.
Here’s a step-by-step process:
- Mix two tablespoons of amla powder with two tablespoons of reetha and shikakai powder each
- Now add water to make a paste. Make sure that it doesn’t become too watery.
- Apply the paste along your hair strands and leave it on for 30 minutes.
- Proceed to wash it off with water and use a mild shampoo after rinsing off the paste.
Using Amla Powder For Grey Hair
Using amla powder for white hair includes making a paste using just the right amount of amla powder and henna powder.
Here are the easy steps for preparing this mix:
- Mix 3 tablespoons of amla powder and four tablespoons of henna powder along with water. Make a paste out of it that is neither too thick nor too watery.
- Then leave it aside for 30 minutes.
- Now apply the mix to your hair roots.
- Leave it for 30 - 45 minutes and then wash it off.
Amla Powder And Coconut Oil For Hair
Mixing up Amla powder and coconut oil can make for a potent hair tonic. Coconut oil has various vitamins and essential fatty acids that promote hair growth, reduce sebum build-up on the scalp and deeply condition your hair.
The combination of Amla powder and coconut oil helps in fighting grey hair, promotes hair growth, controls hair fall, improves hair color as well as repairs damaged hair and split ends.
Following is the method for preparing this wonderful tonic :
- Take two tablespoons of coconut oil and one tablespoon of olive oil and mix them in a bowl.
- Heat the mixture and then add two teaspoons of amla powder to the mix.
- Now let the mixture cool down.
- After the mixture cools down, drain it using a muslin cloth.
- Now part your hair and apply the tonic on your scalp (Make sure you get every part of the scalp).
- Massage your scalp thoroughly for approximately ten minutes.
- Let the mixture stay for at least half an hour, and then wash off with a mild shampoo (sulfate-free)
Amla Powder And Aloe Vera for Hair
This combination is the perfect source of antioxidants for your hair. It will curb the harmful effects of free radicals and also repair any hair damage you might have.
In two simple steps:
- Start by taking Amla powder and aloe vera pulp in equal quantity.
- Mix these two ingredients till you get a paste (not too thick).
Once prepared, apply it to your scalp without missing a spot. Then move on to your hair strands and apply the mask there too. Leave it on for 30 minutes, and then wash it off with a mild shampoo. Use this mask at least once a week to get the best results.
Curry Leaves And Amla Hair Pack
Curry leaves do not just add flavor to your food, they are also a great agent for your hair. They are rich in vitamins B6 and C, along with proteins, fibers, amino acids, etc. Along with amla, it helps prevent hair thinning and helps prevent damage. It adds life to hair. Curry leaves come with multiple benefits for our hair. They are rich in several hair-friendly nutrients, such as calcium, iron, phosphorus, antioxidants, vitamin B6, vitamin C, proteins, beta carotene, fibers, amino acids as well as carbohydrates.
These nutrients are highly effective to repair damaged hair cells and restore healthy hair. They provide a boost of nourishment to the hair follicles and stimulate them, which helps in controlling hair fall.
- Take 1 tbsp amla powder and add a few curry leaves and water
- Blend to make a paste
- Apply it all over the scalp
- Leave on for 45 mins to 1 hr.
- Wash off with a mild shampoo
- Use it twice a week for the best results
Hibiscus, Coconut Oil, And Amla Hair Mask
Hibiscus is rich in vitamins A, B, and C and various minerals such as phosphorus, calcium, etc. It is also rich in AHAs and amino acids. It helps control sebum production and also nourishes hair. Hibiscus is also a good cleansing agent. Coconut oil is rich in protein and improves blood circulation in the scalp. Along with amla, they create a hair pack that will lift your hair and gives it a boost from within.
Method for preparing mask :
- Take around 6 hibiscus flowers
- Take 4 tablespoons of coconut oil and heat it a little
- Take one tablespoon of amla powder
- Grind and mix everything together to form a paste
- Apply it to your hair and massage it in
- Leave it on for 40 minutes and wash it off using a mild cleanser.
Honey And Amla Hair Mask
Honey is a humectant. It seals in moisture and gives life to dull hair. It also leaves the hair soft and nourished and also adds shine to it. Honey is also a rich source of vitamins B1, B2, B3, B4, B5, and B6, along with various minerals such as potassium, zinc, magnesium, iron, etc. It nourishes and strengthens hair follicles and also helps prevent hair fall. It also helps fight off premature greying of your hair. When combined with amla, honey ensures that your hair is healthy with ample shine and strength.
- Take 2 tablespoons of amla powder
- Add 2 tbsps honey to make a paste
- Apply in massaging motions all over the scalp
- Leave it on for about 40 minutes
- Wash off with a mild shampoo. Use it twice a week for the best results
Eggs And Amla Hair Mask
Eggs are often used in hair packs since they are full of protein. The egg yolk was shown to induce hair growth in human dermal cells. The mask requires ingredients of 2 whole eggs and ½ cup amla powder.
- Whisk the eggs in a bowl until they start to fluff up.
- Add the amla powder to the bowl and stir until you get a smooth, consistent paste.
- Apply this paste as a hair mask to your hair and scalp.
- Leave the mask on for about one hour.
- Wash your hair with cool water. Do not use warm/hot water.
Fenugreek And Amla For Hair Growth
A study suggested that fenugreek seeds encourage hair growth by improving blood circulation to the hair follicles. Another study done on mice showed that fenugreek stimulated good hair growth.
The mask requires 2 tablespoons of amla powder, 2 tablespoons of fenugreek powder, and 5 tablespoons of warm water.
- Place the ingredients in a bowl and stir until you get a smooth, consistent mixture. Make sure to use a plastic or glass bowl and not a metal one.
- Let the mixture soak overnight.
- In the morning, apply the mixture to your scalp and hair.
- Once your scalp and hair are fully covered, leave the mask in for about 20 minutes.
- Wash your hair with cool water and a mild sulfate-free shampoo. This mask can be used twice a week for better results.
Amla powder has a variety of uses in improving overall hair structure and appearance. Incorporating Amla into your hair care routine can work to a great extent, you can also take a hair test analysis to identify your hair fall issues and choose the right approach for hair loss treatment.