Anti Dandruff Products to Fix Your Flakes
Dandruff is one of the most common hair problems experienced by people. Many assume that it is simply a reflection of poor hygiene but they could not be more wrong. Dandruff is simply an inflammation that results when the skin reacts to the yeast present on your scalp. In most cases, the right anti dandruff shampoo and the correct washing technique are enough to solve your dandruff issues. However, if that’s not enough, it could be beneficial to look into health supplements, which can enhance your scalp health by fixing internal body issues like indigestion etc.
Dandruff is a condition that causes the skin of your scalp to flake. It isn’t very serious but does demand attention and effort from the individual to make it go away. When dandruff problems become more severe and you experience inflammation, it is called seborrheic dermatitis.
Causes of Dandruff
There could be a variety of reasons why dandruff occurs. People with oily skin are at greater risk of having dandruff as it offers a fertile ground for the fungi. Dandruff is more common among the following:
- HIV patients
- People suffering from acne
- People suffering from Parkinson’s disease
- Individuals with a weak immune system
- People suffering from alcohol dependency
- People suffering from depression
- People with eating disorders and obesity
- People suffering from fatigue
- People recovering from a heart attack.
Other reasons for dandruff could be:
- Skin conditions: Some conditions like eczema, ringworm or contact dermatitis can cause flaking of the scalp.
- Use of unsuitable hair products: Certain hair products or shampoos might irritate the scalp because of an unsuitable chemical composition, while some individuals may be more prone to dandruff as a result of having sensitive skin.
- Yeast: This is caused by Malassezia, a fungus that lives on the scalp and feeds on its oils. Among some people, this fungus irritates the scalp, forcing it to produce more skin cells. These skin cells die and mix with the oil to produce more skin cells.
- Diet: Dietary factors can also play a role. The deficiency of zinc, B vitamins and omega 6 fatty acids can also lead to dandruff issues. Effective digestive products to improve your gut health can also help solve your dandruff problems.
Some other factors are:
- Less brushing of hair as regular brushing helps remove dead skin cells
- Extreme temperatures
- Hormonal problems
Most people face minor dandruff issues and choose to ignore them without seeking any medical help. However, if the itching is severe and persistent, it might indicate the presence of an underlying condition and you might need to take the assistance of a doctor.
To treat a flaky scalp, it is advisable to remove or loosen all scaly and crust pieces with a brush or comb before washing it off with an ayurvedic shampoo. Brush your hair downwards from the scalp, as this will clear the oil and cell build up and move it along your strands, making them shiny.
Look for any of the following ingredients while buying an antifungal shampoo as have proven to be effective dandruff solutions :-
- Ketoconazole: This is an antifungal medication which is very effective and probably the best solution for dandruff problems across all ages.
- Selenium Sulphide: Apart from its antifungal properties, it also controls the oil production of the scalp glands and gets rid of dandruff.
- Zinc Pyrithione: This is useful in inhibiting the growth of yeast, which is largely responsible for creating dandruff. If used effectively and consistently, this can be your permanent dandruff solution.
- Salicylic Acid: This is very useful for your acne issues as it can exfoliate the skin and keep the pores clear.
- Coal tar: This is used on an itchy, scaly scalp facing severe dandruff issues. It is very potent and shall surely solve all your dandruff issues.
- Tea tree oil: This is used for dry scalp issues and also has good antiseptic and antibiotic properties.
How to Use Anti Dandruff Products
Usage of the product largely depends on your type of hair. Generally, you need to apply the anti dandruff shampoo only to your scalp and not your hair, as it can suck away the moisture from your hair, leaving it extremely dry. The best way to use anti dandruff or clarifying shampoos is to leave them on your scalp for 5 minutes, before rinsing clean with lukewarm water. Use anti dandruff shampoos twice a week, at most. You can use another shampoo for the rest of your hair. The use of a conditioner is also important to moisturise your hair.
How an Anti Dandruff Product Works
The anti dandruff product works by preventing the growth of the Malassezia fungus on your scalp. While everyone’s scalp is bound to have a small amount of this fungus, it becomes an issue for those who have an excess of it, as this renders to the multiplication of skin cells. Here is where anti dandruff shampoos play a vital role as they help in decreasing the growth of skin cells, thereby preventing fungal growth. Once the dandruff causing fungus is destroyed, there is no reason to worry!
Home Remedies for Dandruff
Home remedies have been found to be particularly effective in fighting dandruff. Certain natural remedies are good at protecting your scalp as well as enhancing the quality of your hair. Ingredients like oils, apple cider vinegar, aloe vera etc have been a part of home remedies, passed down since generations. Hair oils sourced from coconut and olive are known to be excellent boosters for healthy hair growth. Not only do they strengthen your hair but also maintain your scalp health. Let’s find out how you can create your dandruff solutions at home, using these ingredients:-
- Coconut oil: Massage 3 tablespoons of coconut oil thoroughly into your scalp. Wash after an hour with a mild shampoo and lukewarm water.
- Apple cider vinegar: Mix a quarter cup of apple cider vinegar with a quarter cup of water and apply it to your hair and scalp. Rinse it off after half an hour.
- Aloe vera gel: Apply freshly extracted gel to your scalp and let it sit for an hour. Wash it off within 1 hour with a mild shampoo. Use this remedy twice a week. This is your simplest hair dandruff solution at home.
- Baking soda: This is a rather unique yet excellent remedy to get rid of excess cells and oil on the scalp. Its exfoliating and antifungal qualities help remove the dandruff causing fungus. It needs to be used in moderation or it can strip the scalp off its oils. Mix 2 tablespoons of lemon juice with 1 ½ tablespoons of baking powder to form a thin paste. Massage into your scalp for a couple of minutes and then wash off with cool water.
- Aspirins: Mix 2 aspirins with your shampoo and apply it to your hair. Let it sit for 2 minutes before washing it off. You can make a DIY anti dandruff shampoo by mixing anti-inflammatory drugs with a suitable shampoo.
- Olive oil: Apply a couple of drops of olive oil to your scalp and massage well. Put on a shower cap and leave it on overnight. Wash off with a mild shampoo the next day.
Where to Buy Anti Dandruff Products Online
A number of online portals offer anti dandruff products online but it is advisable to go to a trusted, recognised source. Traya products are widely considered to be among the best in their categories. The various ingredients used in their range of anti dandruff products are sourced from the finest raw materials and are guaranteed to add to your health. You can also buy some antioxidant supplements as a remedy for your dandruff issues. Ingredients like biotin, folic acid, grapefruit extract and herbs such as bhringraj, ashwagandha, guduchi, shatavari, yashtimadhu, haritaki among others, are used to prepare various products of superior quality and help you attain a dandruff free scalp!
Collection of Best Anti Dandruff Products Online at Traya
Traya has an extensive collection of anti dandruff products that are guaranteed to solve all your irritable scalp issues. Let’s take a look:-
- Anti dandruff shampoo: This antifungal medicated shampoo containing Ketoconazole and aloe vera gets rid of irritation, itchiness and is capable of making your scalp absolutely flake free. This contributes to stronger hair roots and prevents dandruff from coming back.
- Scalp oil: This contains 12 herbs including aloe vera, brahmi and bhringraj mixed together to create a potent oil formulation that stimulates the hair follicles. It’s effective in controlling dandruff and is very good for treating a dry scalp.
- Herbal hair oil: This is made of essential oils such as Moti Rosha and Ylang-ylang. It also includes amla, aloe vera and bhringraj among other herbs; it soothes your scalp and keeps dandruff away.
There is a lot of ambiguity regarding dandruff and its cures. Let’s find out what they are:
- What causes dandruff ?
The main cause of dandruff is seborrheic dermatitis which causes the skin to turn oily and scaly. It then flakes off, causing dandruff. It occurs in any area where the oil glands are present.
- Does dandruff cause hair loss?
Though dandruff does not directly cause hair loss, the itchiness can lead to scratching and this might damage the hair follicles and lead to some hair loss.
- Can frequent shampooing remove dandruff?
You should ideally use an anti dandruff shampoo twice a week and a regular OTC shampoo in between. This will help you remove all the excess oil and skin cells on your scalp which clump up to aggravate your dandruff issues.
Product Table Price List
These anti dandruff products from Traya are designed to solve all your dandruff problems and will go a long way in offering you relief from itchy, irritating scalp issues. Following are the prices of the products:
To solve your dandruff issues, you may need to try and test a couple of products. This process might take some time, until you find something that suits your hair. Do visit us at Traya and make the journey towards a dandruff free scalp a little easier, with the help of some sound advice from our experts.
Dr. Jaspreet Sarna, M.D
Dr. Sarna is an MD (Skin & VD) with a decade-long experience in treating hair loss and working on hair regrowth. She believes stress management is the key to good health.