Here's why you should use coconut oil to control dandruff
Find out about the uses of coconut oil in fighting dandruff. Get to know about deep conditioning methods for hair using coconut oil.
Dandruff is possibly the most common hair problem that we face. A dry scalp is easily mistaken for dandruff and that is why we always face the dandruff vs dry scalp confusion. While dandruff could be both white and yellow and is oily, dry scalp flakes are white and small. Take 2 or 3 tablespoons of coconut oil and massage it thoroughly into the scalp, wait for it to penetrate before washing it off with a mild shampoo. Do this at least twice a week for best results. This is the simplest remedy, coconut oil for dandruff. Coconut oil has a unique composition of nutrients and these are most effective against dandruff.
What Causes Dandruff & Dry scalp
The most common reason for dandruff is seborrheic dermatitis. This could affect any region in the body (apart from the scalp) where oil glands are present including the upper trunk and face. The skin turns scaly, oily and red. When you have dandruff, the skin from all parts of the body flakes off very easily. Other reasons for dandruff could be your diet, eczema or an allergic reaction to some hair products.
Dry scalp is the result of less moisture in the skin, you experience irritation of the skin and it begins to flake off. If you are experiencing dryness of the scalp there is a high possibility that the other regions like your arms and legs are dry too. A dry scalp could be result of
- Contact dermatitis, which could be caused by the products like shampoo and gel, that you apply to your scalp
- It could be a result of old age
- It could be caused by cold, dry air.
Experts recommend coconut oil for dry scalp as it is one of the most effective remedies.
Benefits of Coconut Oil for Dry Scalp
The fatty acids present in coconut oil are extremely useful in repairing any sort of damage to the hair. They improve the quality of your hair tremendously and add to its shine and softness. Coconut oil has good antibacterial and antifungal properties and is also a very effective antioxidant, particularly cold pressed coconut oil which keeps your scalp free from infections. That is why most experts recommend coconut oil for dandruff.
The health of your hair depends to a great extent on the protein content, which is the main component of hair. Overuse of chemicals and hair products while washing your hair can cause great harm to your hair. Even your daily activities like shampooing and styling your hair could end up damaging your hair. The lauric acid present in coconut offers great protection against protein loss from hair.
Studies have concluded that coconut oil has a special capacity to penetrate the hair shaft and protect the hair. This protection is necessary as it helps restrict the amount of water that enters the hair, which is crucial to limiting hair damage.
It has also been proved that coconut oil is the only oil which could curb protein loss for damaged as well as undamaged hair. This applies to the use of coconut oil as pre- and post-wash hair product in comparison with mineral and sunflower oils.
- Prewash: If you use coconut oil before you shampoo it can prevent it from absorbing too much water and in the process, help protect against dryness and damage. If your hair is already suffering from damage, it is a very potent pre-shampoo treatment and can restrict the shampoo from removing the oils from your scalp. If you plan to colour your hair or bleach it, you should always apply some coconut oil prior to it as it helps protect the hair from bleach.
- Conditioner: You can also use coconut oil for hair as a conditioner as it stops breakage. Put some drops into your regular conditioner to improve its potency.
- Styling: You can apply coconut to damp hair as it helps in styling your hair very effectively. It can also reduce the frizz associated with dry hair. The humid air can on occasions lead to split ends and coconut oil is very effective in smoothening the split ends.
- Hair mask: Its exceptional properties make coconut oil an excellent option for a hair mask in combination with other ingredients. It can also be left overnight to repair badly damaged hair.
- Leave-in treatment: One of the main reasons why experts consider coconut oil good for dandruff is because it is an excellent leave-in treatment in summer. When the excessive heat leads to the opening up of the cuticles, it will facilitate the convenient entry of the oil into your cuticles and offer a protective layer against damage from the sun.
- Detangler: Coconut oil helps smoothen your hair and works wonderfully as a detangler.
How to Deep Condition with Coconut Oil
There are certain things that you can follow to make optimum use of the range of benefits that coconut oil has for hair. Use of deep conditioning treatments are very necessary to keep your hair in good health and coconut oil can be blended with a number of different ingredients to add to its silkiness and shine. Let’s find out how you can use coconut oil for dandruff.
- Coconut and Castor oil: While coconut oil is good for hair, a mask utilising another oil like castor oil could increase its efficacy by a significant degree. Mix 2 tablespoons each of coconut and castor oil. Apply it to your hair by creating different sections. Let this stay on your hair for 20 minutes before washing it off. Repeat this procedure at least 2 times a week for best results.
- Coconut oil and jojoba oil hair mask: Take 2 tablespoons of coconut oil, 1 tablespoon of jojoba oil and 3 drops of peppermint. Mix the ingredients thoroughly and massage it into your hair. Wash it off with warm water after half an hour. Use your shampoo and conditioner afterwards.
- Coconut oil and honey hair mask: Take 1 tablespoon each of coconut oil and honey. Heat it on a low flame for some time, stir it to blend the mix smoothly and then pour it out in a bowl to let it cool down. Spray water into your hair to dampen it. Now add the lukewarm mix to your hair, let it stay for 40 minutes before washing with lukewarm water. Use normal shampoo and conditioner as required.
- Coconut oil and egg hair mask: Take 2 tablespoons of coconut and 1 egg. Whisk the egg to make it an uniform blend. Wet your hair and then add the mix consistently all over your hair and scalp. Let it stay for 30 minutes and then wash it with lukewarm water. Shampoo and use conditioner in the usual way. This is an excellent remedy using coconut oil for dandruff.
- Banana, avocado and coconut oil hair mask: Take 1 ripe avocado and 1 ripe banana and 2 tablespoons of coconut oil. Put the ingredients together and mash and mix them thoroughly. For thicker hair use more coconut oil. Apply it to your hair uniformly. Let it sit for half an hour before rinsing it out. This is a very potent coconut oil dandruff treatment.
- Almond oil, Tea tree oil and coconut oil: Take 2 tablespoons each of coconut and almond oil and 4 drops of tea tree oil and mix it in a bowl. Massage it into your scalp, use a fine comb to spread it evenly across the hair. Let the oil stay for an hour. Cover it with a towel so that it does not flow out of your hair. Wash well to remove the oil from the hair. Most people would need at least 2 washes to clear the oil from the hair completely. This is a great coconut oil for dandruff remedy.
- Coconut oil and olive oil hair mask: Mix 2 tablespoons of coconut oil with 2 teaspoons of olive oil. Stir to blend well and apply it over your hair and scalp, massage well after that. Cover your head with a towel and let it stay for an hour. Shampoo and rinse your hair thoroughly.
- Amla and coconut oil hair mask: Mix 4 tablespoons of amla powder 8 tablespoons of coconut oil. Heat the mix in the microwave for 20 secs. Apply to hair and scalp and spread evenly. Let the mask stay for at least 3 hours. Wash off with lukewarm. Again, this might also need multiple washes to remove the mask completely from your hair. This is one of the more effective remedies using coconut oil for dandruff.
- Fenugreek and coconut oil mask: Soak 2 tablespoons of fenugreek seeds overnight in water, grind it to a powder. Add a tablespoon of coconut oil to it. Apply this to your hair and roots. Wash off in half an hour with a mild shampoo.
- Camphor and coconut oil mask: Mix 1 teaspoon of camphor with ½ a cup of organic coconut oil. Take an amount between your fingers at night and massage it thoroughly into your scalp and hair before you go to sleep. Wash off your scalp in the morning. Follow this procedure on a daily basis for 2 weeks and find your dandruff problems disappear.
- Coconut oil and oregano oil: Mix 1 teaspoon of coconut oil and 5 teaspoons of coconut oil in a bowl and make a mix with good consistency. Take care to mix the oregano well or it might cause irritation. Apply this mix essentially to the roots but you can also run your hands through your hair to infuse your hair with proteins. Massage your hair for 5 minutes and wash your hair with normal shampoo. This is a great remedy utilising coconut oil for dandruff.
- Coconut oil, honey, olive oil and yoghurt mask: Mix 2 tablespoons each of organic coconut oil, extra virgin olive oil and organic honey with 3 tablespoons of yoghurt. Mix all the ingredients and make a paste with good consistency. Take a handful and apply it on to your scalp and massage for 5 minutes. Doing this will help improve blood circulation and open the pores so that all the beneficial nutrients are absorbed. Leave this for an hour and then wash your hair with mild shampoo. Try out this remedy two times a week for best results. This is one of the potent remedies of coconut oil for dandruff.
Are there Any Side Effects of Using Coconut Oil ?
Coconut oil is generally considered the safest for hair and you can very rarely go wrong with its application. You can try a number of home remedies for dandruff which are also very effective. The only aspect that you have to be careful about is not to use too much of it on your scalp. This could make it excessively greasy and lead to build up on your scalp. People with a finer variety of hair could avoid putting it on their scalp as it could turn very oily; start from the middle of your strands instead and take it to the ends. This is how you can use coconut oil for dandruff.
A lot of people experience hair fall after putting on oil. This is usually because the hair is already loose towards the roots and falls off with minimum pressure.
Coconut oil for dandruff is one of the best remedies to remove those flakes from your hair. It penetrates the hair shaft easily and infuses your follicles with all the nutrients for hair growth and health. Coconut oil produces an entire range of effects on the scalp and this helps in eliminating dandruff, regardless of the seriousness of the problem. Experts also recommend coconut oil for scalp itch and dryness. For more suggestions on improving your hair, visit us at Traya where our experts will provide you with all the options to expedite your journey towards destination hair health