Tall and handsome, almost seem to be synonymous in society. A lot of people crave to be taller and undertake numerous physical activities such as tennis, basketball, badminton, etc. Height just like good skin and great hair can result in a lot of insecurities in people. Especially in today's profile picture based dating game. And this trend has given rise to numerous height supplements that are available without any medical supervision. Some of which can actually result in adverse side effects. But as always, the ancient Indian alternative medicine system Ayurveda has a solution that is not only effective but also safe. Ashwagandha is a popular herb in traditional Ayurveda and is used to treat multiple health issues. Such as lack of sleep, anxiety, depression, weakness, neurodegenerative diseases, arthritis, and sexual wellness to name a few. As it happens Ayurveda also recommends ashwagandha for height.
So what determines a person's height?
There are a few main factors that determine a person's height. Research suggests that 80% of a person's height is determined by their DNA and genes. Other factors that affect a person's height include diet and nutrition, level of physical activity, underlying medical conditions and hormones (particularly, growth hormones made in the pituitary gland):
- Men’s height generally grows until the age of 25 years and for women, it is 21 years. The pituitary gland controls the human growth hormone. This hormone stimulates cartilage production in the long bones of hands and legs. The cartilage turns into bone and contributes to the increase in height. You might continue to grow even after this process (called ossification) is completed. Thus, the growth hormone is essential for height gain. Not only the growth hormone but even the thyroid hormone is important for height.
- The next important factor that impacts bone formation, muscle building, height, and strength is diet, sleep, posture, and exercise. It is important to make sure that your diet is rich in calcium, vitamin D, magnesium and phosphorus.
So what is Ayurvedic medicine to increase height?
Ayurveda believes in Rasayana Therapy to increase height. This is a rejuvenation therapy that provides nutrition on the macro and microcellular levels. This therapy provides strength to all tissues.
Why is ashwagandha used for height increase?
Ashwagandha root extract contains important components such as flavonoids, alkaloids and steroidal lactones, which are commonly known as withanolides. Making it important in the stimulation of growth hormones. Not only that, ashwagandha also happens to be rich in antioxidants and is an adaptogen which means it promotes longevity and reduces stress. For this reason, it has been used by athletes for centuries in the form of supplements. It is also used by people who suffer from musculoskeletal conditions such as arthritis and rheumatism.
How does ashwagandha help in increasing height?
As we've learned, the human growth hormone (HGH) plays a very important role in height growth. However, there is a component that can increase the levels of HGH in your body. Known as gamma amino-butyric acid (GABA), which is a calming neurotransmitter in the brain. When the levels of GABA increase the HGH levels also go up. This in turn helps in the growth and development of the body, including height increase. Ashwagandha root extract produces GABA. Therefore, HGH can be substantially increased by adding Ashwagandha root extract to your diet.
Not only that ashwagandha reduces oxidative stress and thus improves bone density and calcification of bones. It is important to remember that ashwagandha is a stimulator and cannot on its own result in height increase. It must be combined with an improved diet, exercise, reduced stress, better sleep and good posture. A holistic approach is important for seeing results.
How long does ashwagandha take to increase height?
Ashwagandha does not have a specific and dedicated impact on your height growth. However, proper diet and exercise do have the desired impact. Usage of Ashwagandha powder merely makes the maximum utilization of the natural growth process. Height increases for men until 25 years of age and for women until 21 years of age. Thus, taking Ashwagandha for height increase has to happen only till the individual’s natural growth period is active. After the active growth years are over, consumption of the herb will not produce any fruitful impact on the height.
Secondly, since there is no direct correlation between consumption of Ashwagandha in specific quantities and measurable increase in height over a quantized period (since studies in this realm are relatively quiet less and available results are not completely conclusive, however, they point to an apparent correlation between Ashwagandha and height), it is difficult to say for how long you can continue the ‘course’ of Ashwagandha for height increase and that after how long can you expect to see measurable results. However, like most natural supplements, is it best to use it for 3-4 months before expecting to see results?
What is the right dosage of ashwagandha for height?
The standardized root extract is taken in 450-500 gm capsules once or twice a day. It is recommended that any such practice is preceded by a doctor's consultation along with a check of all possible impacts that Ashwagandha can have on your existing medications.
You can either take Ashwagandha for height increase either in the form of capsules or mix half a teaspoon with lukewarm milk and honey and consume before going to bed. Ashwagandha can also be consumed in various other forms, such as adding it to energy balls, ashwagandha churna, tea, smoothies or shake, etc
Side effects of ashwagandha for height growth
In the right dosage, Ashwagandha powder for height growth is considered a safe supplement. Though the effects of long-term consumption of Ashwagandha are not known yet and any cases of severe side effects have been reported yet. However, it is important to keep the following in mind before starting to consume Ashwagandha for height increase:
- Consultation- consult with your doctor once before using ashwagandha
- Existing treatments- you are not recommended to substitute any ongoing medical treatments with Ashwagandha
- Existing medication - if you are on medication for thyroid, cortisol levels blood thinners, blood sugar or blood pressure it is best to avoid taking Ashwagandha for height growth. Ashwagandha may increase the potency of barbiturates (drugs that depress the central nervous system), sedatives, and anxiety medication.
Here you must also have a look at certain underlying conditions that you need to be careful of before deciding to go for or not go for the consumption of Ashwagandha:
- Pregnant women - Pregnant and breastfeeding women are advised to not take Ashwagandha
- People with autoimmune disease - such people should avoid the usage of Ashwagandha unless recommended by the medical practitioner. This includes conditions such as rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, Hashimoto’s thyroiditis, and type 1 diabetes.
Let us also look at some general side effects when considering using Ashwagandha for height growth. The side effects of the herb differ from one person to another:
- Overdosing may cause vomiting, diarrhoea, or an upset stomach.
- As ashwagandha causes the immune system to become more active, it can increase symptoms of auto-immune disease
- In some people, ashwagandha usage can irritate the gastrointestinal tract
- Side effects include dizziness, blurry vision, a heavy sensation in the head, increased testosterone levels and increased stomach acid
Is ashwagandha for height increase only, or does it have other benefits?
Consuming Ashwagandha is a natural and safe way to improve your overall health. Along with increasing your height, Ashwagandha is known to be extremely beneficial for hair health. Being an adaptogenic herb it helps improve your sleep quality and reduces your stress levels. As stress and sleep are two major triggers for hair loss. Ashwagandha helps tackle them to make your hair healthy. In fact, we add it to Hair Ras, a 100% natural hair supplement which is beneficial for anyone looking to improve their hair health and quality.
Popular ArticlesOrganic Indian Ashwagandha | Amla Plant | Amla Powder | Amla | Bhringraj Leaves | Bhringraj Plant | Redensyl Side Effects | Hair Care Routine | How To Strenghten Hair | Bhringraj | Indian Gooseberry | Emblica Officinalis | Amla Seed | Ashwagandha for Weight Loss | Ashwagandha Powder | Ashwagandha For Sleep | Onion Juice For Hair | Egg For Hair | Curd For Hair | Hair Fall Treatment for Men
Buy Multivitamin Tablet | Buy Hair Fall Tablets | Buy Herbal Tablets | Buy Minoxidil 5% | Buy Herbal Hair Oil | Buy Hair Fall Shampoo | Buy Anti Dandruff Shampoo | Buy Hair Root Serum | Buy Digestion Tablets | Buy Shatavari Ghrita | Buy Minoxidil 2% |