A Spa Full of Goodness: How to Do Hair Spa at Home
The constant wear and tear that our hair has to deal with as a result of the harsh external environment and personal lifestyle choices require us to put in a greater amount of effort to take care of our tresses. What this also means is that our regular hair shampoo and conditioner would not be able to undo the damage that hair dryers and chemicals cause to our hair. Hair dryness is the most obvious hair issue and this needs to be corrected with the help of conditioning. This means that our visits to the parlour and spa become more frequent as we lack the expertise to handle the various hairy problems that we face. Therefore it would be really helpful if we make the effort to learn how to do hair spa at home with home remedies.
What would help our task is that the numerous user-friendly and ready-to-use products available in the market have also made hair care a more convenient process? With products carrying detailed instructions on the method of application and use, a little effort on our part could yield rich hairy dividends, all at minimal cost. Having said that, initially a little guidance on the right procedures would yet be necessary to facilitate an easy journey towards healthier and shinier strands. Let’s begin right now and find out more about how to do hair spa at home naturally step by step.
How to Do Hair Spa at Home with Natural Ingredients
A hair spa should be done on a monthly basis to ensure that your scalp is healthy and your roots are strong. The treatment ensures that your hair gets an improved texture and gloss. This is the panacea for quite a few, if not all hair problems. There are several advantages of doing a hair spa treatment at home. It is cheaper as you do not have to pay for expensive procedures for the hair. Let’s find out how to do a hair spa at home step by step. Following are some of the advantages:
- You can choose natural products thus ensuring the health of your hair.
- You can also leave the oil overnight in your hair to produce better results.
- You can also use fresh ingredients for making the hair mask.
Let’s find out more about how to do hair spa at home with natural ingredients in the correct way.
You should always start with a rejuvenating oil massage that helps improve the blood circulation in the scalp. Any oil, coconut, olive or almond would do as they contain vital nutrients to nourish the tresses. They contain healthy fats and vitamins which add to the health of your hair. The hair massage also cools down your scalp and helps to relieve stress, one of the causes behind deteriorating hair health. A hair massage helps secrete serotonin which has a calming effect on mind and body alike. Herbal oils are generally considered the best for hair. The recommended oils for this sort of massage are:
- Extra Virgin Coconut Oil: This is perfect for dry and damaged hair. It has good antibacterial and antifungal properties. Heat the oil slightly for best results. You can even add essential oils like jasmine and sandalwood oil to further enhance its benefits.
- Sweet Almond Oil: Sweet almond oil is very effective against hair breakage and helps your strands grow. It is very good for dandruff-prone hair and is great for preventing hair loss and augmenting hair growth.
- Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil: Olive oil has excellent exfoliating and dandruff-fighting properties. It repairs damaged and frizzy hair and is extremely good for hair that is prone to dandruff. It protects hair against heat damage and helps in moisturising hair.
- Bhringadi hair treatment oil: This is extremely beneficial for hair fall, preventing grey hair and dandruff.
To help the oil penetrate the hair follicles and nourish the hair, a hot towel treatment would be necessary. Soak the towel in hot water and wrap it around your head after squeezing it dry, do this a couple of times. This process of steaming opens up the hair follicles and helps the essential nutrients enter and work their magic on your hair. It also removes debris and impurities from the hair and helps in protecting against scalp infection.
After this use a sulphate-free shampoo for your hair. A mild shampoo would be preferable as it cleans the scalp without robbing it of vital nutrients and making it dry. While washing your hair it is always better to use lukewarm water as hot water will damage the roots of your hair and create dandruff or itchy scalp issues. This is the general procedure on how we can do hair spa at home.
It is then time for the deep-conditioning of your hair which is an essential part of learning how to do hair spa at home. Now this depends on the condition of your hair, as the choice of the masks will depend a lot on the state of your tresses. For very long and thick hair you need to double the dosage provided. Separate your hair into parts and use a wide-toothed comb to spread the mask evenly through your hair. Most masks need to stay for at least 15 minutes to be effective. The masks should ideally be removed with a mild shampoo and lukewarm water. After you apply the conditioner do not wash it out immediately, let it remain for a few minutes before rinsing it off. These are the standard procedures but if the mask carries a specific instruction then that is what we need to follow. Let’s take a look at the more popular masks that you could use for your hair.
- Amla, Shikakai and Reetha hair mask: Mix a tablespoon each of reetha and shikakai powder with 2 tablespoons of amla juice and rose water. Apply it to your hair and scalp and wash it off after half an hour.
- Aloe Vera Mask: Aloe Vera has a lot of beneficial properties for hair individually as well as in combination with other ingredients. Apply aloe vera over your scalp by mixing it with coconut oil and wash it off after half an hour.
- Homemade hair spa cream: This is a great remedy for healthy and glossy tresses. If you follow this process accurately you will be able to learn an extremely effective method on how to do hair spa at home. All you need is half a banana, 3 teaspoons of honey, 1 egg, 1 cup of curd and 2 teaspoons of coconut oil. Mix all the ingredients together to make a paste with good consistency. Apply this to your clean washed hair and wash it off in 30 minutes. All the ingredients have different properties that add to the quality of your hair. Banana is an excellent moisturising agent and is good for frizzy and curly hair. Curd helps to keep hair soft and smooth and is helpful in preventing dandruff while honey has great moisturising properties and transforms dry hair and gives it a shiny look. The powerful combination of vitamins makes eggs nothing short of a superfood for hair. They strengthen the hair and make it grow faster. Coconut oil provides nourishment to your hair and prevents split ends and breakage.
The homemade hair spa cream treatment is designed to put life back into your tresses as they are packed with nutrients that add shine to your hair. The treatment is completely natural, and your hair will be rejuvenated the way it is after a spa session. So, do learn how to do a hair spa at home.
How to Do Hair Spa at Home After Smoothening
A hot oil treatment is the best way to go about pampering your hair after smoothening. Coconut oil is largely considered the best option as it helps in reducing the protein loss for hair. The biggest advantage of coconut oil as compared to other oils is its low molecular weight which allows it to penetrate the hair shaft conveniently. Let’s get to know more about this hot oil treatment and find out more about how to do hair spa at home.
- The temperature of the hot oil is very crucial. It does not have to be hot as it will end up damaging the cuticles but has to be moderately warm. It would be advisable to test the oil before using it.
- Before using the coconut oil, do remember to wash your hair as the oil would penetrate the hair follicles more conveniently with a clean scalp.
- Heat 6 tablespoons of coconut oil moderately, and keep the warmth as easy to the touch as possible.
- Comb your hair gently to remove any knots.
- Apply the warm coconut oil to your hair and do it uniformly from your scalp to the tips. Use your fingers to comb through your hair and distribute the oil evenly.
- Cover your head with a plastic sheet and keep it for about 20 minutes before rinsing out your hair and applying a conditioner.
How to Do Hair Spa at Home Step by Step
A hair spa treatment is ideally one which would leave you with the feeling that nothing has happened to your hair in the first place. Your hair is nourished with natural ingredients that reverse damage and help the hair retain its original state. Some more options on how to do hair spa at home naturally:
- Olive oil hair spa treatment: Olive oil is very effective as a hair conditioner and protects your hair from damage. Massage the oil into your scalp. Put your head over a tub of steaming hot water, cover your head with a towel and allow the steam to settle into your hair. After 10 minutes dip the towel into the hot water, wring it dry and wrap your hair with it. Let it stay for 15 minutes before washing your hair with shampoo.
- Avocado hair spa treatment: Avocado is rich in amino acids which provide a layer on your hair shaft to help it retain moisture. Mash the flesh of the avocado and add a tablespoon of honey to it. Apply the mix over your scalp and head. Take a steam treatment by putting your head over a tub of water and covering it with a towel, let the steam settle in your head. Let this stay for 10 minutes. Take off the towel and wait for 15 more minutes before washing your hair.
- Egg hair mask: Pour 2 whole eggs into a cup and whisk it thoroughly. Apply to your scalp and hair and wash it off after 20 minutes with cool water. You can also add mayonnaise to the egg yolk mix as it is a very good moisturiser and also has the goodness of proteins.
- Milk and honey hair spa treatment: Milk is full of protein and honey has excellent moisturising properties. The combination will provide gloss to your hair while also adding strength at the same time.
Add a tablespoon of honey to a cup of milk and let the mix blend well, keep this aside. Place your head over a tub of steaming hot water and cover your head and the pot with a towel. Stay this way for at least 10 minutes, take off the towel and let the steam settle. Apply the honey and mix blend to your hair and scalp, from the roots to your tips. Wash your hair with sulphate-free shampoo after 10 minutes.
A hair spa treatment on a periodical basis is very essential for your hair as it rejuvenates your strands and makes them feel new again. If you can follow the methods and learn how to do hair spa at home, then you can also avoid burning a hole in your pocket. You can also visit us at Traya and take the help of our specialised team who will offer you more options on how you can take care of your tresses more effectively.