Amla is a very popular medicinal plant with great benefits and wide-ranging uses. It has good healing properties and is rich in vitamin C, iron, and calcium which are extremely beneficial for your hair and skin. It has antioxidants that help in expelling harmful free radicals from the body and keep the hair free from dandruff, dryness, and irritation. Amla helps boost immunity and it is an important ingredient in many healthy foods and drinks.
There are a number of benefits of eating amla for hair. Amla is used to treat a variety of hair issues and also helps augment hair growth. Its proven therapeutic qualities add to its versatility as it can be used as a juice, a powder, or an oil. In fact, experts are still in the process of discovering the many uses for amla powder, which is essentially dry amla ground to a fineness. Its benefits can be felt if it is directly applied to the hair and skin. Let’s find out more about the goodness of amla for hair.
Benefits Of Amla For Hair
Amla can transform the health of your hair and give your tresses the required bounce and shine. It has lots of fatty acids that nourish the hair follicles and add to their health. That is why it is used in different hair care products such as shampoos, oils, and hair growth serums. Let’s find out more about the amla benefits for hair:
- Enhances Hair Growth: The presence of vitamin E in amla facilitates the circulation of blood in the scalp. If the hair follicles are damaged, amla helps in their repair and regeneration. The vitamins, phytonutrients, and minerals provide the nutrients to assist in faster hair growth. Vitamin C helps in the production of collagen protein which replaces dead cells with new and healthy cells.
- Cures Baldness: Amla oil is helpful in curbing the production of 5-alpha reductase. This is one of the most important amla hair oil benefits. This is similar to the way the medicine Finasteride works; Finasteride is used to treat male and female pattern baldness by restricting the production of 5-alpha reductase. You should ideally warm the amla oil before applying it to your scalp. Do remember to use the oil twice a week for the best effects.
- Protects From Hair Damage: Amla is rich in tannins and calcium which are useful in protecting the hair from any sort of heat or photodamage. Tannins attach themselves to the keratin proteins of the hair and prevent them from breaking up when they are exposed to heat or light.
- Useful In Treating dandruff: The vitamin C in amla endows it with powerful anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties which prevent the proliferation of dandruff. It removes the dry flakes and prevents itching on the scalp. It has antifungal and antiviral properties which help it fight off fungal infections on the scalp.
- Helps In Cleaning The Scalp: Amla is a wonderful scalp cleanser. It is capable of removing all the layers of oil, dirt, and grime in the scalp and this enables it to receive the essential nutrients. The antioxidants in amla protect the hair from damage caused by pollution, dust, and styling tools. It removes germs from the hair and keeps it clean apart from keeping your scalp odor free. This is one of the significant amla uses for hair.
- Acts As A Natural Hair Conditioner: Amla helps in nourishing and conditioning your hair. Amla has a good moisture content in it and works very well for people with dry hair. It also helps in removing the excess oil for those with oily hair. This is one of the important uses of amla for hair.
- Helps Avoid Pigmentation: Amla contains a natural dye that helps stop pigmentation. Its high vitamin C content and its cooling effects help fight all the harmful effects. Amla for white hair is a very effective remedy.
- Curbs Premature Greying Of Hair: Amla for grey hair is also a very popular remedy. Amla acts as a natural coolant and reduces the heat in the scalp thereby preventing premature greying of hair. It helps in purifying the blood and prevents infections making amla for hair the chosen remedy for many.
- Adds Shine To Hair: Amla is an essential ingredient in many hair masks that add shine to the hair. Adding henna to amla enhances the natural color of the hair.
How To Use Amla For Hair?
The natural health-giving properties of Amla allow it to work independently or in combination with other elements to enhance the quality of your hair. It could be part of your diet or it could be applied topically. You can also use dry amla for hair by grinding it into a powder. It helps to use an amla hair pack after you oil your hair. In fact, you are not even required to shampoo after applying amla, as amla itself is an excellent cleanser. It can be mixed with curd which helps it work as a conditioner. One of the most popular and convenient remedies is the use of amla powder for hair in many different ways. Let’s look at the different methods in which you can use amla for hair:
- Massage your hair with amla oil. This can be prepared by heating 4-5 tablespoons of coconut oil with 1 tablespoon of amla powder. Heat it and keep on stirring till it turns brown. This is the amla oil that you can apply to your hair and scalp after it cools down. This is a great remedy for hair fall issues, as it will improve blood circulation throughout the scalp. The follicles will receive oxygen and good nourishment which will help strengthen the hair fibers. This is how you can use amla for hair growth.
- Use amla powder to prepare a hair mask. Prepare a paste of amla powder and water and grind some tulsi leaves into this mix. Apply this to your hair and scalp and rinse it off after half an hour with lukewarm water and a mild cleanser. This is the best way to prevent premature greying of your hair. This is one of the many amla powder benefits for hair.
- You can also make a power-packed mask using 4 tablespoons of henna powder, 2 teaspoons of shikakai powder, 1 teaspoon of bhringaraj powder, 1 teaspoon of tulsi powder, some drops of lemon juice, and an egg white all added to 2 tablespoons of amla powder. Prepare this mix and keep it overnight. Apply on your hair the following day and wash it off after an hour.
- Amla juice can also be applied directly to the hair and this is an effective hair-strengthening tonic for the hair. Squeeze out the juice from a fresh amla into a bowl. Some drops of fresh lemon juice can also be added to it. Apply this juice to the scalp and wash it off after an hour. This is the most convenient way of using amla for hair.
- Take 2 tablespoons of amla powder and add some honey to it and mix this thoroughly. Apply the mix over your hair and scalp and wash it off after an hour. The honey and amla hair pack is very effective for those with dull and lifeless hair. Honey is capable of drawing moisture from the air and this can be sealed into your strands. Regular use will give you silky smooth hair.
Amla Hair Treatment
Amla in its various forms, as an oil, shampoo, or raw juice, can offer various treatment options for hair issues. You can also use amla churna for hair in multiple combinations. Pure amla oil is a very healthy remedy as it is free from any significant side effects. You should however keep a look at the concentration levels of the oil. The recommended level is 7.5% with water. But before you decide to use amla as a solution for your hair problems it would be prudent to do a patch test on your skin to find out if you react favorably to it or not.
- The amla and shikakai hair pack are very effective in preventing hair fall. Take 2 tablespoons each of amla and shikakai powder and mix well to form a thick paste. Apply it along the length of your hair and wash it off after 40 minutes. This is how you can use amla for hair fall.
- Curry leaves are extremely beneficial for our hair. They are great at repairing damaged cells and rejuvenating your strands. The curry leaves and amla hair pack helps in improving the elasticity of your hair and make them less prone to damage.
Put some amla pieces into a blender along with some curry leaves and water and blend it into a fine mix. Gently massage this over your hair and scalp. Wash it off with a mild shampoo after a couple of hours. Use this mix twice a week.
- Amla when added to yogurt forms a very potent hair-strengthening mask. Add 2 teaspoons of amla powder to warm water to form a thick paste. Add 1 teaspoon of honey and 2 teaspoons of yogurt, mix well and apply to your hair. Wash it off after half an hour.
- The combination of eggs and amla is very good for hair growth as eggs have the goodness of proteins which augments the growth of the hair cells.
Whisk the eggs in a bowl till they start getting fluffy. Add amla powder and mix thoroughly for a good consistency. Apply this to your hair and scalp. Wash it off after half an hour with cold water. Try out this remedy once a week.
- The combination of lemon juice and amla juice is also very effective in reducing dandruff because of its excellent antibacterial, antifungal, and antiviral properties. It is also used to prevent hair loss. Add I tablespoon of lemon juice to 1 tablespoon of amla juice. Mix well and massage into your scalp and hair for a couple of minutes. Let it stay for 10 minutes before washing it off with mild shampoo and cool water. Use this remedy once every two weeks.
Side Effects Of Amla On Hair
Despite being a health-enhancing food full of good nutrients, using amla for hair is not altogether safe and does have a few harmful effects. Amla has been known to cause hives and irritation in some people. The hives sometimes sting and cause pain. Therefore, one should ideally perform a patch test on the skin before using it. One should avoid using amla powder in infants and children. The use of amla for pregnant women and breastfeeding mothers is also not recommended.
The reputation of amla as a superfood is well deserved. Apart from taking care of your hair issues, it is also a panacea for a wide variety of body ailments. You can add a range of other herbs for more benefits such as bhringraj for grey hair, brahmi for strong hair, calendula for shiny hair, and hibiscus for conditioning your hair. Do take the Traya hair test to get a correct diagnosis of your hair issues. For more information on how you can use amla for hair, visit us at Traya where our experts are ready with their suggestions on adding shine and strength to your strands.
Q1 - Is Amla Good For Hair?
Ans - Amla helps increase sebum production and gets rid of scalp itchiness and dandruff. It increases hair strength and prevents dryness. Amla also helps augment hair growth.
Q2 - How To Use Amla For Hair Growth
Ans - Make a smooth paste with 2 teaspoons of amla powder, honey, curd, and warm water. Apply this to your hair and scalp and wash it off after half an hour.
Q3 - How To Eat Amla For Hair Growth
Ans - You can either have the amla fruit or drink amla juice. This helps improve scalp health and promotes hair growth.
Q4 - How To Consume Amla Powder For Hair Growth
Ans - You can add a teaspoon each of amla powder and honey to warm water and have it on an empty stomach.
Q5 - How To Use Amla For Hair Loss
Ans - Mix 2 tablespoons of amla and lime juice and make a smooth paste. Apply thoroughly to your hair and roots and wash it off in 15 minutes.