What is Cardamom Powder? Know the Essential Health Benefits
Indian cuisine is not just flavorful and colorful but is also delicious, and they also come with various health benefits that have been followed since ancient times. Cardamom is one such spice among others, and it was also considered as an herb. It was also one of the main elements in Ayurveda. Organic green cardamom is said to be a cure for throat problems, chest congestion, mouth infections, GI disorders and was also an antidote for venom and poison.
Today, cardamom is one of the most expensive spices renowned for its flavor and aroma. The spice is also used in various recipes, from spicy dishes to beverages and desserts. With a wide number of choices available, more and more people are starting to take this miracle spice into their diet for health.
Cardamon is a spice made from seed pods, and it belongs to the ginger family. The pods are spindle–shaped and contain several seeds, but the whole family of the spice can be used whole or ground to powder.
Cardamom and its varieties
- Green cardamom
- Black cardamom
- White cardamom
Health Benefits Of Cardamom Powder
Like other spices, cardamom is also packed with loads of nutrients to fortify your body. For more than thousands of years, medicinal healers have been using this spice. It has high levels of vitamin C, A, iron, potassium, manganese, copper, sodium, and other micronutrients. These vitamins and minerals work together to offer the spice loads of health benefits.
- Reduces high BP - Cardamom can regulate high blood pressure with regular intake. It is diuretic and rich in antioxidants. The spice can detoxify the blood and reduce water retention by promoting frequent urination.
- Aids indigestion - Cardamom is said to be an effective remedy against digestive issues. You can have it raw or make a concoction of the spice to maintain good gut health. You can also use the spice to combat acidity, constipation, gas, bloating, nausea, heartburn, etc. The spice is known to have a soothing effect on the mucous membrane. Thereby, it can enable better function, which in turn lessens the chances of stomach upset and acidity.
- Fights bad bacteria - As the spice is rich in antioxidants and other bacteria–fighting elements, your oral health can get better when you consume it regularly. The spice can kill the unhealthy bacteria present on your tongue, thus fighting bad breath.
- Prevent cold, and flu - Cardamom can prevent or relieve cold and flu symptoms. It is also used to treat coughs and bronchitis. Also, this pungent spice is high in minerals and vitamins; the astringent elements of cardamom extract powder can make it great for helping to fight off bacteria in your body. Warm tea with Badi elaichi powder can soothe your sore throat and can also suppress coughing.
- Prevent blood clots - The spice can prevent dangerous blood clots by stopping platelet aggregation. In the long run, this might also prove to be highly advantageous in preventing life-threatening clotting.
- Relieves respiratory ailments - Wheezing and asthma can also be reduced in addition to regular medicine with green cardamom powder. It can clear the nasal passage and the phlegm in the chest to promote hassle–free breathing. It can also improve the oxygen intake by helping the lungs to relax to take deep and long breathing.
- Get rid of hiccups - As the spice is an antispasmodic, it can help get rid of diaphragm spasms. You can also apply it to other involuntary muscle spasms such as intestinal and stomach cramps.
- Sexual dysfunction - Sexual disorders like premature ejaculation and impotency are also treated with spice. Consuming elaichi powder with milk and honey can work wonders.
- Can prevent cancer - Spice has exhibited its potential as a great way to prevent cancer. Various animal studies have shown that spice can delay, prevent and also reverse cancer formation.
- Acts as an antioxidant - As mentioned, cardamom has loads of vitamins and phytonutrients and works as an antioxidant, cleaning up free- radicals and resists cellular aging. Your blood sugar levels and cholesterol levels are balanced by getting rid of harmful free radicals. It can also improve blood pressure and promote your overall health.
- Detoxifies your body - Cardamom can help in eliminating the waste through kidneys. This solution is ideal for people who want to get rid of chemicals and toxins from their bodies and fasten up fat and weight loss.
How Does Cardamom Powder Work?
Cardamom is packed with various health benefits, and it's an excellent spice that you must wholeheartedly use in your daily diet. It is always advised to consult a specialist or a nutritionist on the correct quantity and manner in which you must consume cardamom seed powder, especially if you have any health issues. Cardamom powder is also used for skin and hair care routines.
Cardamom for acne
As the spice has antibacterial elements in nature, it can help in healing acne and breakouts. It also works as a skin purified by reducing the blemishes. Cardamom powder can give you a clear and even complexion. It can also make your skin toned and enhance your complexion as well.
Prevents skin allergies
The spice powder has high levels of Vitamin C, thus offering antioxidants and helps in blood purification. The spice can also regulate blood circulation of the body and has antibacterial and antiseptic elements to prevent allergies. Therefore, having a hot cup of tea can help in flushing out the toxins from the body, which further impacts a glow from within. For maximum benefits, buy only organic elaichi powder from brands like Traya products, organic India, etc.
Better beauty sleep
The therapeutic aroma can calm the nerves and act as a stress buster. A good night's sleep is great for the skin, and you will feel the difference the next morning in how your skin feels and looks. Aromatherapy is underrated when it comes to beauty; people are unaware of this magical effect that the sweet fragrance provides to your health. The aroma of the spice can swiftly uplift your mood and brighten up your tired and dull-looking skin.
Use Of Cardamom Powder For Hair
Cardamom is considered a cure-all to overcome various health issues. Anti–fungal and anti–bacterial are found in the spice. The green pod can also be used in various at–home treatments to make hair long, shiny, and thick. The spice can also strengthen it by removing the dirt from the scalp.
- Removes dirt from the scalp - Your scalp might be prone to dandruff and dirt. Cardamom can remove the dirt from the scalp and can maintain it healthy. Apart from this, it can also make your hair follicles strong, due to which hair fall and damage can also be stopped. The spice has anti–bacterial elements that can also protect your hair scalp from infections.
- Cardamom for strong hair - Hair loss begins only when your hair becomes weak. This is known to be beneficial for strengthening hair roots also plays a vital role in Ayurveda for making herbal oil. Cardamom powder can also be used to prevent hair damage and hair fall.
How To Use Cardamom Powder For Health And Hair?
Cardamom powder can also be used for health by preparing a concoction with some coriander and some freshly squeezed apple juice. Consume it regularly to get the benefits for health. You can also consume a couple of cups of tea daily for your cardiovascular health.
Cardamom for anemia
- Take a glass of warm milk and add some green cardamom powder and turmeric powder.
- You can also add some sugar to it.
- Consume this every night to get relief from anemia and symptoms of weakness.
Cardamom for GI disease
- Add the spice powder regularly to your diet to enjoy the health benefits.
- You can also eat the seeds and sprinkle some freshly ground powder on your drink or food.
For kidney health
- Ground some cardamom powder and mix with warm milk.
- Now have it before going to bed to maintain kidney health.
- If you don’t consume dairy, then try taking it with warm water.
Cardamom to nourish the scalp
- You can use cardamom-soaked water to rinse your hair for a healthy scalp.
- Just add some cardamom powder with warm water and rinse it after shampoo. The oil is an excellent natural disinfectant.
- Just apply the oil to your scalp directly to treat scalp infections and to remove dandruff.
For beautiful and healthy hair
- You can also use cardamom oil directly on the scalp to maintain a healthy scalp, which in turn leads to beautiful and voluminous hair.
- Consuming the pods is highly beneficial for hair growth and achieving strong and long hair.
Side Effects Of Cardamom Powder
Cardamom can possess various health benefits when taken rightly. Usually, the herb has very few side effects but taking this a lot might lead to some serious health issues. It is therefore highly essential to know the right dosage of the herb to avoid any other side effects.
If you are using the spice for a long time in huge quantities, it might lead to some unexplained allergies. A popular type of skin rash known as dermatitis can be developed if you are intaking the spice in more than the prescribed dosage. Some people might also experience hives if they are sensitive to the spice. Also, some of you might be hypersensitive to it and have respiratory issues.
Consuming too much cardamom might also lead to a gallstone. According to some of the recent studies, it is said that the digestive system fails to absorb cardamom completely. The process slowly leads to gallbladder stones. Further, if you have this issue already, you must stop having it. If you are a gallbladder stone patient, then never take cardamom.
You must consume this spice very consciously if you have any medicinal course. This is so as some drugs might interact with the spice adversely and might also lead to serious health issues. If you are negligent to this, you might also increase the disorder for which you have been taking medicines.
How to avoid the side effects of consuming cardamom?
Don’t panic about the above side effects of cardamom. This herb is still less harmful, and you can have it confidently. But it is always better to consume maintaining a limit. Never consume them excessively. Also, consult a doctor before having any spice of your own if you are suffering from any health issues.
- What is the benefit of cardamom?
The spice has been used for 1000s of years to help with digestion. It is usually mixed with other medicinal spices to get relief from stomach-related issues, vomiting, and nausea.
- What does the cardamom taste like?
Cardamom has a complex taste with fruit aroma and menthol-like flavor. It can be a bit astringent when having it too much.
- Can I have cardamom daily?
Cardamom can boost your digestive health. As the spice has cooling effects, it can relieve acidity. So, take it moderately.
4.Which cardamom is best?
Green cardamom, also called True cardamom, is the most common variety you will see in supermarkets. It is an excellent choice for sweet and savory dishes. The white cardamom is the bleached version of the spice and has very little flavor.
- Why is cardamom expensive?
The main reason the spice is so costly is that it requires to be harvested by hand. It can consume labor care and time. An acre of cardamom can produce more than one-fifty pounds of spice.
6.Does cardamom help you sleep better?
Cardamom can be used to treat sleep disorders. You can inhale the aroma of the essential oil to treat sleep issues like restlessness, insomnia, and anxiety.
7.What is the distinction between cardamom and black cardamom?
The green cardamom has a very intense and strong aroma, while the black one has a camphor-like smoky fragrance. The taste of the spice has a coolness that is often compared to mint, but both the variety can be used to flavor foods and drinks.